I finally baked my video card

TheGeek

My old MSI 8800 GTS OC was crashing and freezing my operating system. I heard from here that baking your video card in an oven is an option.

I had nothing to lose because the card was unusable and I didn't think it was going to work but... it actually did. I took off my heat sink, removed the old thermal tape, put it in the oven with the GPU facing up, and let it bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. I put on fresh thermal gel and remounted the heat sink and it works like new.

So if you have an old card laying around that doesn't work, try it out and post your results!

Over time a card can get little cracks in the solder connections. Heating the board will make the solder flow some and fill the gaps... I think...

QFT. I think the term everyone is throwing around is micro-fractures. I honestly had no idea what I was doing but it was worth a shot. And now its 2 days going strong with no problems!

PROPS TO RENEGADE! I found the old post and he recommended this to me.

(edited)

After some research it seems the cards that have the most success with this are cards that usually ran very hot. Before this my card ran at 70C idle and 85C with load at 100% fan speed. More good news is that after putting on my own thermal paste and putting the fan speed at 100%, the idle temp went down to 60C.

Edited by TheGeek

no pics? no video?

i'm calling shenanigans.

Meh, it looked the same going in as it did coming out. The only difference was the smell of burning solder. I guess I could set up a smell-o-vision...