first DSLR?

stutters

There's an awesome deal on Amazon right now for the T1i. It's going on for (I believe) the next two days:

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-T1i-Digital-18-55mm-3-5-5-6/dp/B001XURPQS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1279047474&sr=8-1

T1i ($100 off)

18-55 IS lens

55-250 IS lens $200 off (so it ends up being another $30)

I recommended this exact setup to a friend that just started to get into DSLR's too. He bought it, and he's been blown away by it. Don't go crazy buying all fancy gear, this is a great setup to learn on. You might not need more than this anyway, depending on what you photograph. Or if you're not squeamish about buying used, you can buy/sell camera gear on fredmiranda.com's forums. Great place, it's like a more reputable ebay for camera enthusiasts/professionals.

last note - Canon vs Nikon is total preference. Hold both in a store and see which one you'd like to carry around and use more. Once you go with a brand though, you'll have to get the other lenses/gear to match.

bummer than apple doesn't make one.... :hug:

Gee, I thought the magical, revolutionary, super-camera on the iPhone 4 would be all the camera anyone ever needs... :stretch:

Hahaha...all kidding aside, I know a pair of semi-professional photographers, and they both recommend Canon. They told me that Nikon makes a great camera, but, with Canon, you get the same level of photographic quality with a higher level of reliability. Basically, they were of the opinion that Nikons are a little delicate and described Canons as tanks...

That being said, I was talking to them about this last year when thinking of buying a Rebel XTi...I went with a point and shoot for the time being (Canon G9), which I love. I needed something that would also take decent video, and DSLRs didn't do that at the time (though some do now).

Just my two-cents...hope it's useful...I know the Apple-quips always are! :peace:

Mav's photog friends are probably referring to the professional series for Canon - they have weathersealing so dust/water/etc don't get inside the equipment very easily. Nothing Nikon has can match the durability and image quality of a L-quality lens (IMO).

a friend of mine has a canon 5d that i was shooting with, and i'm not too big on the way the nikon feels.

thanks for the link, unclean! looks like i missed it, but i'll keep looking for a similar deal.

The deal is still going on - I was wrong about the expiration date on that one. Not sure how long it lasts though.

pulled the trigger.

- Canon EOS Rebel T1i

- EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens

- EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS Telephoto Zoom Lens

- BG-E5 Battery Grip

- bag, battery, charger, and SDHC cards

thanks for the help, unclean. i couldn't find a deal like that anywhere else.

Very nice. I think you'll love that setup, it's got really the best of all worlds rolled into one. Image stabilization (priceless on a zoom), popup flash, hd video, etc.

You mentioned you got a bag - hopefully you picked up a normal looking one like a messenger bag. A giant bag that says "Canon" on it is great for storing stuff at home, but it's a giant "steal me" sign out in public. I use a regular backpack or slingbag when out in public, way less conspicuous that way.

Also, if you're new to the SLR world, you need to buy this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Exposure-Photographs-Digital-Updated/dp/0817463003/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1279653594&sr=8-1

It's not a choice. You need it. Hands-down the best photography how-to book you can get.

Nice camera. I have the XTI and a 17-50mm tamron. If I had saw this early I would have suggested the body and one "good" lens. But it's all good, you will play around with what you got and then start trading or upgrading lenses on FM. Pick yourself up a 50mm 1.8 for $100 and be amazed by difference compared to the kit lenses.

Edited by .fx

Nice camera. I have the XTI and a 17-50mm tamron. If I had saw this early I would have suggested the body and one "good" lens. But it's all good, you will play around with what you got and then start trading or upgrading lenses on FM. Pick yourself up a 50mm 1.8 for $100 and be amazed by difference compared to the kit lenses.

That's the beauty of the deal he got - if he needs different lenses for the shots he's taking, he can turn around and sell them on FM and make a profit (he'd sell that 55-250 for more than he paid -- $30).

First things first SJ - take a bunch of shots and figure out what you like photographing. You may be happy with the setup you have now, or you may want to swap out one or both lenses. Or add more to your kit (like the amazing "thrifty 50" 50mm that fx mentioned).

yeah, i'm happy with the lenses i bought..for now. i'm not sure what my preference is, and i'd hate to plop down another $500 for a great lens that i don't shoot with.

stopped into borders yesterday, but the book wasn't available. i'll check a few other spots, otherwise just snag it off amazon.

now i just need to figure out where to put the apple sticker ;)

thanks guys!