Best Buy vs NewEgg

[LaW]Maverick

I can haz a help?  

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

OK, pretty much everyone here is experienced in buying a new computer--and all of you are gamers and have a respect for hardware. So, I'm going to start a poll to help my friend make a decision on his buying a computer.

See, they want to buy their computers at Best Buy, but I have found some good deals on NewEgg for systems with a little bit more juice (and better manufacturer's warranties). They prefer Best Buy because they can talk to people face to face if they have any trouble, and discuss computer options.

They are trying to keep to a budget at around $600 to $850 or so.

What I want is your opinion: would you buy a new laptop at Best Buy, or NewEgg?

Also, how do you guys feel about ASUS laptops vs. Toshiba?

(san` edit, added poll)

Edited by san`

(edited)

"They prefer Best Buy because they can talk to people face to face if they have any trouble, and discuss computer options."

are you signing up to be their geek squad?

I never said I agreed--was trying to keep my opinion out of it to be as objective as possible. (but the Geek squad is useless, for the record)

Remember to add if you're comfortable buying at NewEgg or not (or if you'd prefer it over Best Buy)...I've shared the link to this thread with my friend (his name is Adam) so he can check out what we say.

Edit: These aren't computers for hardcore gamers, by the way, but one of them will be used for MATLAB, which, from what I understand, could benefit from a decent processor.

Here are the front runners:

One of these: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=cat13504&type=page&pageIdentity=searchDriven&useProductString=true&productString=1218202473024*1218204529080&unProductString=1218231414432*1218231411833*1218181728993*1218152462975*1218202472261*1218152460142*1218202473277*1218206200334*1218100581211*1218124208054*1218165344675&catId

This: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Toshiba+-+Satellite+Laptop+/+Intel%26%23174%3B+Core%26%23153%3B+i5+Processor+/+14"+Display+/+4GB+Memory+/+500GB+Hard+Drive+-+Slate/1006408.p?id=1218207311895&skuId=1006408

This: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Toshiba+-+Satellite+Laptop+/+Intel%26%23174%3B+Core%26%23153%3B+i5+Processor+/+16"+Display+/+4GB+Memory+/+500GB+Hard+Drive+-+Charcoal/1010474.p?id=1218208016100&skuId=1010474

This: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220751

or This: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220687

The last one is primarily because of the crazy-good battery life.

Edited by [LaW]Maverick

Mav I picked up this based on your recommendations and some research on my part a couple months ago. Hands down one of the best purchases I've ever made, it rocks.. I know that is out of your budget, but I'm a asus fanboy now.

No experience with Toshiba but I definitely would buy an Asus. Personally I'd be a lot more comfortable buying something from NewEgg than Best Buy, although I'm not sure how much that matters WRT whole computers.

If your computer stops working due to a hardware failure, I don't know what Best Buy will or won't do about it. Maybe they'll handle the warranty stuff, maybe they'll charge you some kind of diagnostic fee. Probably there is some kind of policy on this, but I don't know what it is. But if you're not comfortable dealing with someone over the phone, having gone with an online retailer would be a problem.

Depends...for me I want as much performance as possible while giving up as little money as possible. I do have to take into consideration that I would lean more towards Newegg based on experience. I'm not a huge fan of Best Buy, given the choice I would spend my money else where.

Mav I picked up this based on your recommendations and some research on my part a couple months ago. Hands down one of the best purchases I've ever made, it rocks.. I know that is out of your budget, but I'm a asus fanboy now.

Glad you like it--I'm still drooling over that thing. I have a G72 and I love it...despite the fact I'm only sporting a Core 2 Duo, it still plays Crysis cranked up.

Thanks for everyone's input on this, by the way, I just want my friend Adam to buy a computer he doesn't end up hating after 2 years. :)

Personally speaking: Best Buy is the worst place to get advice. Unless you want some 16 year kid still in high-school telling you that the E-machine is a great gaming system.

Professionally speaking: Best Buy is the worst place to get advice. Unless you want some 16 year kid still in high-school telling you that the E-machine is a great gaming system.

Best Buy is fine if you need something in a hurry for a computer part because it is Friday night and your PSU or monitor just died and you cannot go the weekend without your gaming rig AND you know what to buy.

laptop deals can be had at places like Best Buy but it really depends on your needs. I would not go to best buy for a lappy unless I saw a $299 special or something and just needed a cheapy. For anything with real power you will find net-based stores more likely to be the best bang for the buck. A desktop system would just be stupid to get from Best Buy. Oh and geek squad is more clueless than an Alzheimer's grandma wandering the airport looking for her lucky underpants.

I shop at Best Buy frequently and they have always been fair with me when it comes to price matching, exchanges, etc. I do not, however, go there for shopping advice. The store near me has some guys who really know what they are talking about, and a bunch that have no clue. I would find the right laptop first through online research and price comparison with Newegg, then determine if you wanted to buy at BB or Newegg.

I trust Newegg implicitly to take care of me when it comes to large purchases. Their customer reviews tend to be more abundant and more accurate than BB, and I read a ton of those reviews before I make any purchases.

I like them both, but I find Newegg customer reviews to be the best "advice" available when researching at either of those places.

That said, I just bought a new 55" TV at Best Buy and they price matched Amazon for me saving me $$$. And they threw in Iron Man on Blu Ray for free. Big thumbs up for them.

Why is it limited to Best Buy? No Microcenter around? No other stores that sell laptops? Dell? Sams club even carries laptops and TVs. But if it has to be between the 2, I would most likely buy from Newegg because I've always had stellar parts and delivery from them. But I can also trouble shoot some of my own problems without having to call the Geek squad right away. If you friend knows didly squat about computers, BestBuy may be the best option in case something does go wrong, then they can actually go somewhere and ask them to figure out whats wrong rather than guessing and mailing it in to Newegg.

I voted after i posted and LOL'ed when i saw it was 11 Newegg, 0 BestBuy

Edited by samurai nightling

Why is it limited to Best Buy? No Microcenter around? No other stores that sell laptops? Dell? Sams club even carries laptops and TVs. But if it has to be between the 2, I would most likely buy from Newegg because I've always had stellar parts and delivery from them. But I can also trouble shoot some of my own problems without having to call the Geek squad right away. If you friend knows didly squat about computers, BestBuy may be the best option in case something does go wrong, then they can actually go somewhere and ask them to figure out whats wrong rather than guessing and mailing it in to Newegg.

I voted after i posted and LOL'ed when i saw it was 11 Newegg, 0 BestBuy

He has me--I've never needed the Geek Squad, and I'm free (for friends) in the computer repair department. :boing: I remember asking a Geek Squad guy if they sold DDR2 800 laptop RAM, his response was: "Um..we sell laptop RAM."

ME: "OK, do you have DDR2 800?"

Psuedo Geek: "It's laptop RAM."

ME: "You don't know what type or speed it is?"

Psuedo Geek: "Uh, it's RAM for a laptop."

I pushed the End Call button in disgust at that point. :shrug03:

Tangent:

One time I asked someone at Charter if they knew if they were going to broadcast ATSC over the wire so you can receive it without a box. I was informed that ATSC went out of style, like, twenty years ago. I believe that was Level 2, but I'm not sure.