Minecraft

anonymo

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't understand what the point is with this. I fired up the free version and had no idea what I was supposed to do.

I then proceeded to spend the next 2+ hours building a house. Flashbacks of the glorious Lego days of my youth, so I am hooked.

I'm guessing the not-free version has more of a point to it?

The free version does no justice. It's completely worth the $12. Not that there's much point to the game other than playing with blocks, but the full game has more of a survival aspect to it. You get killed a lot by skeletons and what have been termed "creepers" which you'll learn about soon enough (along with some other enemies). Also, multiplayer servers. Plus the creator, one guy, updates the game weekly (sometimes more) and as he's now been made a millionaire due to the popularity of the game (sells about 3000 copies a day now) he's hiring more developers to work further on the game.

Notch's blog, worth a read. Very interesting to see how this indie game is blowing up.

Now, back to the mines!

Hahaha, this guy was recording a tutorial on how to build persistant fire for something like a fireplace. You need to watch it and see what happens. I feel bad for him if it actually auto saved or something though :(

ROFL that's hilarious.

This is why you build your houses with brick and stone...

No joke, this game is gonna be big. And this is something i can just see getting a new version in like 2-5 years where its no longer blocky and people actually want to play it with amazing graphics. That trailer is pretty sweet and shows a good deal of what you can do, but i want to know how many man hours went into building some of that stuff, ridiculous. I WILL buy this game for $12 when he fixes the issue with the site. No brainer.

No joke, this game is gonna be big. And this is something i can just see getting a new version in like 2-5 years where its no longer blocky and people actually want to play it with amazing graphics. That trailer is pretty sweet and shows a good deal of what you can do, but i want to know how many man hours went into building some of that stuff, ridiculous. I WILL buy this game for $12 when he fixes the issue with the site. No brainer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9t3FREAZ-k

Well since he's been doing this for a year... It also wasnt gonna be named Minecraft either. Someone of the Alpha Videos show that they weren't gonna be Square Blocks. Also this the guys MAIN YouTube Channel.

So are you the only human in the whole world? Are there NPCs?

The only Human in Single Player. There is two versions of this game, Creative Mode, and Survival Mode. Creative is only in the Free Version (Which is hosted on the site but guess what...) and Survival is on Alpha. Not only that, but they both have Multiplayer, to bad Survival is broken in Multi. The guy plans to make it PvP for Alpha, so you can either fight with everyone or you can team up with people. He also wants to do a Fort vs Fort type of thing too. Also everything has God Mode on it in Alpha Survival.

Then theres this spooky lore http://minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Herobrine

EDIT: Looks like the creator wants to create this "thing" into the game, which will probably randomly build stuff and "haunt" you from a distance if it acts the way as describe.

Edited by ValenAlvern

What does a server for Minecraft do?

Basically everyone connects to a server and build stuff together. Everything saves. Probably the most fun I've had all year with a game.

I currently have a world with Valen and Nightling. Built an underground cave and Valen started an underwater house.

Edited by JackieChan

Ok, I could see myself getting into a GC-only server (free of griefers and general jack-holes). I'm only doing single player at the moment, and am enjoying the hell out of it (except for that time I got lost and didn't have the materials to build a compass. That sucked.)

I just layed the foundation for my new fortress on a cliff with natural land bridge and underground cave. Love this game.

And to those who bring up the "crappy graphics" - I love it the way it is. I love the old school graphics and think getting too fancy with it would make it lose some of it's charm.

It is also entirely too easy to get into mining and exploring new caves that open up as you chip away at those shiny blocks... I followed so many new paths last night that I realized it would take me much longer to retrace my steps out than to just carve a new path up to the surface. Unfortunately that new path came out at the bottom of a lake :freak3:

SWIM TOWARDS THE LIGHT!!!

I actually survived my watery encounter this way. Thankfully, I managed to break through during the day when I could actually sort of see wth I was doing. Unfortunately, the path I cut is completely flooded and likely a total loss.

Now if I could just keep the f****** explodey zombie things the hell away from my construction site at night, then I could start making some real progress. On the plus side, they gave me a head start on digging out that basement I wanted :D

Haha... love how the free "weekend" produced such a huge influx of people playing it.

Hey, worked out in his favor imo since I will now be a paying customer thanks to the free trial. I was not intending to purchase at first since I was initially content with the free "classic" version!