LotRO Free-to-Play

[LaW]Maverick

Slaughter, Bilbo (my brother, whom you may remember), and I are playing LotRO (when we have time), and it is now free to play. You can, of course, buy stuff with real money for the game, but so far that doesn't seem overly necessary.

Anyone interested in playing? Oh, LotRO = Lord of the Rings Online, by the way. :peace:

Two questions for you:

1. Do casual gamers (like those that play 5-10 hours a week) able to compete with the unemployed single super-nerds that have 120 hours a week to dedicate to the game?

2. Is the name "Legolas" taken? I'm thinking of making a ranged class with that name.

Ok, just kidding about #2. There must be 29034803846 of them running around.

Batman plays this and got me into it a little. The download was massive, like 10gb or something. I played pretty much through the starting. Kind of like Guild Wars has the first city and then you time travel when it gets attacked. This game kind of has the same thing. I did the first main thing and then stopped. So that's a few hours I guess.

It has a feature where, if you don't play for a while, you get a rather decent bonus to experience point gain, so keeping up with the hardcore gamers is EASIER, but you know, you just can't outpaced those unemployed super-nerds. :)

That being said, all of us guys that are playing are employed and busy as all get-out. It's a good game--might be worth a shot!

(edited)

I'm a officer in a Kin on that server.. BUT it sometimes gets annoying helping people all the time.. I'll make Thraxbo on Elindilmir tonight.

I love my Rune Keeper and Warden, very fun to play but I want to try something new. I have not tried a burgler, minstril, or guardian yet.

@ Fairweather, it plays fine on my friends laptop ($300 pos laptop)

@ Unclean, it's free so it's fine for being a casual player. There is NO level gap punishment if you party with peeps higher lvl than you..

Edited by Batman

That sounds pretty awesome! So lower level people can join others in higher level areas, and they get boosted somehow? Sounds like Warhammer - that was a great part of that game.

I'll download it tonight, and maybe see you guys on it over the next few nights.

Vipreacher is my name

I always read that one as "VIP reacher" instead of "Vi preacher". You won't find a reacher more important than that!

But you're not the only one. The name "unclean" is usually taken, so when I was first looking for variations, I thought adding another "n" to the end would be a good idea. That is until someone called me "Uncle Ann". o0o

That sounds pretty awesome! So lower level people can join others in higher level areas, and they get boosted somehow? Sounds like Warhammer - that was a great part of that game.

I'll download it tonight, and maybe see you guys on it over the next few nights.

Unclean, no you don't get boosted.. Other games, if you have a lower lvl person in your party you get dinged on xp because they think your power lvling.. There is no temp boost that makes you stronger, but there is also no xp penalty for having a big lvl gap in a party...

Ah, I see. So you can probably get one shotted by a regular mob if the level gap is big enough? That's making me second-guess my melee choice (burglar) in case we party up.

I downloaded and installed the game last night - it took forever! I had just enough time to create a character and break out of jail before I had to go to bed. The name on there is "Grinny" - real life nickname. I might switch it over to a healer class, how is the healing in this game? Is it more about the timed heals, or HoTs on the run?

Ah, I see. So you can probably get one shotted by a regular mob if the level gap is big enough? That's making me second-guess my melee choice (burglar) in case we party up.

I downloaded and installed the game last night - it took forever! I had just enough time to create a character and break out of jail before I had to go to bed. The name on there is "Grinny" - real life nickname. I might switch it over to a healer class, how is the healing in this game? Is it more about the timed heals, or HoTs on the run?

The minstril heals with his guitar.. LOL And he's pretty good, mass heals and instant heals.. I have a Rune-Keeper who also heals OR dps, but his heals are more over time..

Hmm, the minstrel might be a bit too hippy-ish for me. The Rune-Keeper may be the way to go.

Just noticed this though, on mmorpg.com, LotRO scores really high! Higher than Aion, Age of Conan, Warhammer, etc. Why do you think that is?

Ok, played the minstrel up to 6 last night. Definitely not hippy-ish, and I think I'll stick with this class. But if any of my IRL friends ask, I'm playing a viking immortal thundergod, *not* a minstrel.

The name on there is "Karnei". I'll be on between 7-10pm cst tonight too if anyone wants to join up.

So does everyone stick to a few areas in this game? I've played in the beginning areas for the Elves and Humans up to 10 or 12, and might only see one or two people on during prime hours (nights, weekends). What does the population look like as people level to 20, 30 or so?