Welcome to another instalment of Ring asks easy questions

Ringadon

To make a long story short I got a new stick of RAM for Xmas and have run into a slight mental problem with installing it. Please forgive this newbie question

I've got two open ram slots on my MOBO and am unsure as to which one (if there is a difference) I should actually install the danged thing in.

Any ideas?

For any potentially needed reference...

It's a Dell dimension 9200 PC with the factory default Motherboard in it.

Thanks!!

Ring

You have four slots. On that comp one usually installs in matched pairs, if you are just adding a third chip it doesn't matter - you'll get a slight reduction in memory speed but you will be able to use the extra memory. Keep in mind that any 32 bit operating system can see up to 4 gigs of ram but only 3.3 or whatever will be usable. Assuming you have 2 gig now, just the bump to 3 won't trigger the 32 bit limit.

Your computer is basically an XPS 410 - here is the service manual - if the link doesn't take you to the memory section just click on memory at the top of the page.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/xps410/en/SM_EN/parts.htm#wp1462641

So basically drop it in and if it boots up, there ya go.