120hertz a big deal for gaming?

simkiller

I bought an 120Hz monitor a few weeks ago and I noticed the difference immediately. I posted on my "I need a monitor..kind of" topic about my 3D monitor, here's a snip-it:

Since the monitor is 3D it's required to do 120Hz. 120Hz is clearly noticeable. I didn't think it would be, but it was. When I first set my desktop to 120hz from 60Hz I was shocked. It's so much smoother on 120Hz. I know the big draw of the monitor is 3D, but playing games at 120Hz when you are getting 100+ fps it's SO smooth. No tearing upto 120 fps is a nice side effect of 120hz as well.

If your computer is fast enough to get over 100 FPS in games will notice the difference. Even on the desktop I noticed it. It just feels much smoother. The mouse movement, the way games move, everything.

You will be hard pressed to find a monitor that is 120hz and less than $250 since they are, "3D monitors". The cheapest I see is the Viewsonic VX2268WM for $265.

If you want to get a monitor JUST for 120Hz and don't need a new monitor for any other reason, it may not be worth it.

....but damn it's nice. :D

Edited by VooDooPC