GC Spring Membership Drive - Details and Discussion

Flitterkill

It's been a problem for some time now. How to reconcile our full sponsorship with TypeFrag/GameComm (still ongoing) with the intake of dues. Building up a giant backup fund is all well and good but finding a way to pass along our community's good fortune has been at the back of my mind for some time now. Most of you have noticed that my harassment emails regarding yearly dues hasn't been occurring for a very. long. time. Well, inspiration finally struck a few months ago and with a little board discussion here we are. The first of many twice yearly membership drives.

So lets get to some Q & A!

1) Twice yearly? Why not once a year?

With monthly membership as we've been running things forever, there is always the behind the scenes dance of notifying those who's dues are up, seeing who renewed and didn't, changing forum permissions, changing reserves, etc. The paypal link to semi-automate things was a bit of a start to handle this but it still required monthly attention, coupled with the inevitable late stragglers into the following month, etc. With this move to twice a year drives we will synchronize everyones annual membership to either March or September, meaning the bulk of the behind the scenes work gets shunted into just two times a year.

Another reason is we can begin to better understand the direction of our community; more people or less people. With monthly renews we are looking at a handful of people renewing at a time and having to extrapolate to prior years to gauge whether months are up or down for renewals and joins, guess at trends (beyond the obvious). If we went annual with the drives, the concern is cash flow and management of funds especially towards the end of a fund year (mainly for when we are no longer fully sponsored). With twice a year drives we get a more manageable cash flow and clear indicators as to our community going up or down. Naturally this information will get passed along to members after each drive so everyone knows how successful (or sucky) things went.

Also, turning it into an event lets us do other things...

2) Like sweet computer and gaming prizes/giveaways?

Why yes, that's it exactly. We can return a portion of our good fortune in sponsorship (and dues) back to our contributing members. Twice a year we can do this. Monthly? Not so much.

3) Will there be the same number of prizes each time?

Probably. Three to four small prizes and one big one seems like a good place to start.

4) Will the prizes always rock?

I don't see why not, at least for the big winner. The value (worth...) might vary a bunch from drive to drive but the big winner should at the minimum be happily amused if not out right pleased as punch.

5) The end of that response was worded awfully cagey...

Perhaps but you see, I've already begun to assemble a portion of the fall membership drive big prize. It's a mystery box. Heh.. (heheheheh.... heh...)

6) The winners are determined by...?

Random numbers. Seems like a job for RPG dice to me. The grand winner will be determined first out of all who joined/re-upped during the membership drive. Secondary prizes will be rolled for after that.

7) Anyone not eligible?

Yep. GC Founders and Board Members are well and truly out. This is for members and admins alone. Also, although it may be a little weird our first time through, the goal is to end up with two distinct piles of members: the March group and the September group. Anyone who has payed dues between April 2010 and September 2010 is OUT for this one. You guys are being pushed into the September pile. Don't worry, we'll extend your current membership through to the Fall Membership Drive.

8) Now wait a minute. What if I really want in on this drawing? I don't trust those typed laughs of yours a few responses above. The Fall group is gonna get saddled with a 120 gig IDE drive or something aren't they?

No, the drive is 250 gig. I kid, I kid... Yeah I can see some folks wanting in from time to time. Let me poll the board for an appropriate amount for non-members/members/admins to kick in as a donation to get in on a particular fund drive's goodness (will edit this once a consensus number is hit)

9) So how will this all shake out for people who join GC during non-Drive months?

Pro-rate. We'll give them the option to just kick in whatever amount is needed to get to the next drive and have them re-up then or conversely, have them kick in the pro-rate amount to get to the next drive AND have them pay up for the drive then and there. We'll leave it up to them. Either way we anchor people to either March or September.

10) Why March and September?

Because Flitterkill procrastinates and January/July and February/August have passed us by.

11) How much? Where to?

$15 for regular membership. If you are already an admin, admin dues are $30. No, if you aren't already an admin you can't buy an admin membership now.

PayPal the monies to dues@gamerscoalition.com

MO/Check are fine, just send me (Flitterkill) a PM for the address.

12) When do we find out who gets the l00t?

Good question. Monday April 4th, 2011 seems a good target date. I'll need to get addresses for the winners and will ship out the prizes that week.

13) Just to be clear, if I paid my dues between October 2010 and now I'm good to go?

Yep, we're pulling you forward into the March group and you are already paid and entered in the drawing/giveaway. Enjoy the extra months of membership and you are next up for renewal in March of 2012.

14) Any info on those prizes this round?

Sure, the HP gaming surface is a fancy-type gaming mouse pad. I picked these up a few months ago and have been using one myself for awhile now. Mice (and their glide pads) glide really nice like. The wireless mouse, well, you can Google that yourself. The mouse recharges through a micro usb cable which, yes, you guessed it, means this mouse is both a wired and wireless mouse - take your pick.

Questions, comments, smack talk - the thread is open...

-Fk

Hmmm... do I pay early and make myself eligible for this one? I just bought a new mouse not long ago... and I love my 9 year old supermat. If I pay early I'd probably decline if I won, so I suppose I'll hold off until May.

Maverick' timestamp='1299101370' post='485965']

I will probably hose $30 on this this month--it's been a while since I had my admin powers, but now I'm playing a lot all over again so I figure--why not?

Your re-application process has been denied. :P

Maverick' timestamp='1299167673' post='485974']

and you wonder why people always want to voteban you, San . . .

You've made me a sad panda o0o

Hey, at least you're a panda!

I'd love to throw down some of my valuable Canadian coin but I haven't eaten in nearly a week due to mortgage/taxes/women...

I'd love to throw down some of my valuable Canadian coin but I haven't eaten in nearly a week due to mortgage/taxes/women...

I'm in a good mood and feeling generous. Is there anything I can do to help you out? I'd gladly re-up your GC membership on the condition that next time somebody needs help, you help them out.

I'm in a good mood and feeling generous. Is there anything I can do to help you out? I'd gladly re-up your GC membership on the condition that next time somebody needs help, you help them out.

tarp.jpg

On second thought, how about I order you a couple pizzas or something so that you can eat for a couple days? PM me if you want.

I really appreciate the offer but really I couldn't take anyone's money because 1) I was exaggerating a bit on the food thing and 2) most of my money problems are due to the last item listed in my previous post.

Plus, I don't really play CS much anymore so if you want to donate a membership in my name to someone more in need I'd rather you do that.

(PS Sorry I know you wanted some fodder to improve your k:d but it ain't me, IIIIIIT AIIIIIIIN'T MEEEEEEE :biglaugha: )

:hug:

Looks like the non-renewal buy-in for the giveaway is gonna be $5 as no one else is really sayin otherwise in the board room.

There have been a TON of new joins lately - is it this? Is it because we are cool again? Who knows, who cares! Just nice to see some action coming through on membership again.

There have been a TON of new joins lately - is it this? Is it because we are cool again? Who knows, who cares! Just nice to see some action coming through on membership again.

I've been encouraging people to join lately. That and I've been kicking them with the reserve slot message for fun. Only one of those statements is true...

• 2 weeks later...

I would do this but with the pending employment problem, etc I will have to pass until things are more certain. The only game I really play these days is League of Legends and the occasional Black Ops but that is with my clan.

With all of that said, I've been a part of the community here for 10 or so years and intend to stick around.