Mechanical Keyboards

Hello, I was wondering if any of you guys use a mechanical keyboard. At the moment I use a stock dell one I stole from work.

I am really interested in one that use Cherry MX switches (Filco Majestouch) or the RealForce but they use topre capacitive switches and are more expensive.

So, feel free to give any opinions on keyboards, switches and brands!

I am using the old version G15. I really like it. If i was to replace this one, it would be with the new G19 g19_keyboard_280x150_v1a.jpg

Not familiar with the switches. However the macros for the G series keyboards are nice.

Edited by Shazz

I use the newer version of the G15, the orange lighted one. Macros are nice, keyboard has been the best board ive owned yet. I dont know exactly what kind of keyboards you're talking about here though.

I got my G15 a hair before slaughter--best keyboard I've ever had, hands down. I will be using it until it no longer works. Hope that helps. :peace:

So, everyone uses a G15. Hmm.

The problems I have with them (G15/G19) are that they look very fancy, have LEDs and extra keys.

I was looking at the Razer BlackWidow as well since it doesn't have much flair but Newegg reviews tells me they aren't as good, since they use Cherry MX Blues.

Are there any keyboards you guys have used in the past? If the Logitech is really the best there is I might just have to try it out to see.

Might try to look for a G15 since it might be cheaper.

I need more opinions, thanks!

There was a major review of mechanical keyboards in the last Maximum PC (I think it was the last one, could have been the month before) but I cannot remember the overall outcome if you can find the article.

I have a Razor keyboard I've had for about 3 years, I have never had 1 problem with it and it was a great investment.

I've heard good things about Adesso's mechanical boards as well, but know very little about them.

Tactile just refers to the feeling of something. I like the way it feels when I push the keys--I'm not talking about haptic feedback. Technically, everything has a certain tactile feel to it because everything FEELS like something when you touch it. :-)

When I say tactile feedback, I'm referring to the way the keys go up and down. I am not sure the specific mechanism used, but I know that I really enjoy the keyboard. :shrug03:

Hope that clears things up for you a bit.

Das Keyboard Ultimate Last keyboard you'll ever need, mechanical keys, no labeling, no stupid LCD or "media" buttons.

If you go thrifting you can find one of these without much work. You can find Model Ms on eBay too but for the price you're better off just buying a Das Keyboard. Not pretty but the original mechanical keyboard, will last you for the rest of your life. PS/2(maybe AT too?) only.

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome! You know, I've always thought "Gee, these labels on my keyboard are really obtrusive and bothersome, if only I could wipe them all off!"

Genius!

BTW:

Whats the BFD with the G15/510/19 keyboards, besides the macros and LCD screen? I have been using a regular keyboard swiped from a new Dell and have been managing just fine. I would have a hard time justifying $100+ for a keyboard. Am I missing something here? What use are the macros (really, especially considering I'm not an MMO'er at all).

Edited by boiler

Things i like about my G15:

I play at night, with the lights off to reduce glare on the screen, and the back-lit keys are the best. I can still see all the keys even in a dark room.

The LCD has so many programs that work with it, Vent, games, CPU monitoring. This way when im gaming i can see whos in vent, whos talking, and not have to alt+tab out. It also shows your score for a lot of FPS games so you dont need to tab if your still alive and shooting.

The macro keys. I have most of mine bound for auto buys in CS:S. There's a million and one macros you can do with them, but I use them for a very simplistic reason i know.

It comes with 2 extra USB ports should you need them.

It's comfortable to use. As far as a gaming keyboard goes, its pretty easy on the wrists.

The BACK-LIT KEYS!!!! Oh wait i said that.

Ditto on Samurai's post!

Plus there is a switch or button (depending on the model) to turn off the windows key. Put's the keyboard into gaming mode.

Overall feel and response is very nice! It would be difficult to change keyboards for me. I like the G series.

Whats the BFD with the G15/510/19 keyboards, besides the macros and LCD screen? I have been using a regular keyboard swiped from a new Dell and have been managing just fine. I would have a hard time justifying $100+ for a keyboard. Am I missing something here? What use are the macros (really, especially considering I'm not an MMO'er at all).

I've been using a generic Dell keyboard as well. I understand it is hard to justify $100+ for a keyboard too. That's why I am so reluctant to buy one.

In certain games that I want to get into again, responsive keys are important, I understand it won't make me a better player though.

The one that amertrash recommended might be the one I get though. Due to the N-key rollover and mechanical switches.

Good lord, I'm starting to regret getting back into PC gaming. I just picked up a new Corsair AX750 PSU, and now I want a ridiculously priced keyboard. I suppose the good news is that the keyboard and power supply will last for quite a while. My laptop does have backlit keys, and I must say it is pretty sweet.

This sucks.

Also on the G15, it supports waaaaaay more simultaneous keys than most keyboards. For instance, I can be crouched, with tab held down to check scores, be strafing, and jump all at the same time...my old keyboard only supported two or three keys, so sometimes I'd be holding down shift and a to walk, then I'd hit the spacebar to jump and nothing would happen. I think you can press something like 15 simultaneous keys on the G15 and they'd all work (which I know is a ridiculous amount, but it makes me feel better).

Also, on servers where they only have a 1 or 2 second buy-time, I get all my crap with my macro nearly instantly.

• 1 month later...

I'll echo the sentiments on the g-series - although routinely replacing them due to adult beverage spillage can get costly....

If anybody is able to build a hybrid headset / beer hat.... you have yourself a beta tester..