Virus Desktop Takeover

Demoner

I booted up my desktop this morning only for everything that accesses the internet to give me an error code of 0000000:5 or something of that sort. I tried to do a restore point from yesterday afternoon when my computer was running fine and that wouldn't happen because whatever is messing up my system wasnt gone for that point. Now when I try t use other restore points it won't let me click continue because its saying my hard drive "You must enable System Prtection on this drive." I am looking for some direction on things to try. Anyone have any ideas?

Sounds strange. Were you going places or doing things that would get you a virus? Because both could conceivably be hardware-related problems. Any storms pass through recently? Lightning/power surges can do very odd things, bypassing somethings, tweaking others, obliterating even more others...

You seem to have two problems. The first being no internet? But you are here so... (using a diff computer now?) If no internet, the wireless card could be twonky, your registry could be messed a touch, or a setting got flipped in the control panel - internet settings (proxy server stuff should be off if you have a standard home setup)

For the sys restore problem start here:

enter cmd in the search box ... enter sfc /scannow .. let it check your system files... reboot

Only thing I can think of is a torrent I downloaded that might of created a virus. No lightning storms just some snow as of late. I use a hard wire connection for my desktop. I was posting from my laptop. I know its not the internet is my house as no one else is having such issues.

Once I get off campus I'll try the cmd and see what i get. I did run windows ram check and nothing funky was found.

(edited)

Update I ran the above command only for it to tell me there is a pending repair and restart. I restarted however, the issue is my computer won't boot up into any kind of mode even safe mode I can't get it to boot. Any other suggestions?

Oh and my only options it seems after my computer to restart itself I can "start windows normally" which doesn't work or launch a startup repair. After it runs the start up repair it gives me this startup repair cannot repair this computer automatically

Edited by Demoner

You could get an external hard enclosure and plug the drive into your laptop to retrieve the files. I'm not sure of the risk here or how to avoid it other than run a virus scan on the said drive before you try to access the files.

• 2 weeks later...