Buy Plugin/Server Update Notes

JackieChan

• 2 weeks later...

I think the intent was to prevent the chargers from farming points for a heal. Before the update, a charger could 1v1 a survivor because it could farm enough points with punches and buy a heal, or at least reduce the cost of one. The charger could incapped the survivor with this tactic if they were good enough. Of course, the survivors could have countered the charger with a melee weapon or a shotgun. For example, the survivor could have used a rifle + melee weapon or a shotgun + deagle combo to counter the punchy charger. And since tier 2 and melee weapons are littered all over every single map, the survivor only has their hubris to blame if they succumbed to charger punches. The downside of these two combos is that they can also counter every other infected as well. The survivor would feel less danger and thrill as a result. I also believe the survivor has the option to cheat by sticking with their team and using teamwork to kill the charger. But I am not aware of any players who debase themselves with such shameful tactics on this sacred server. In fact, I am not sure why I even uttered such blasphemous words like "team" or "teamwork". Just forget what I said. 

Now, without the sarcasm; I don't think the new update effects the gameplay that much, at least for the infected. I am not aware of anyone farming tanks points with charger punches. It does, however, further reduces the importance of teamwork for the survivors. 

Edited by Socks

• 2 weeks later...

Just increase points you get from charging and hitting survivors to compensate that way you are getting most your points from doing what the class was supposed to do originally.  I think 1.25 for charge and slam then 2 for crash is fair. 

^ Can we get this please? Also it would be nice to get points by doing chain charges, that would encourage players to do some chain charging.

With all the nerfs that the chargers are getting, can we maybe at least change the 0.40 per damage to 0.60 maybe?

Just increase points you get from charging and hitting survivors to compensate that way you are getting most your points from doing what the class was supposed to do originally.  I think 1.25 for charge and slam then 2 for crash is fair.

^ Can we get this please? Also it would be nice to get points by doing chain charges, that would encourage players to do some chain charging.

With all the nerfs that the chargers are getting, can we maybe at least change the 0.40 per damage to 0.60 maybe?

No, there's already enough chain charges in the game already. There's no need to encourage players to do any more of that.

Besides, these chains weren't even intended to be in the game to begin with.

I always assumed that you got a point for chain charging because you are technically "charging" a survivor. Now that I think about it, I don't think I have ever paid close attention to chain charging points.  :unsure:   

I always assumed that you got a point for chain charging because you are technically "charging" a survivor. Now that I think about it, I don't think I have ever paid close attention to chain charging points.  :unsure:   

You do get a point for it, but it's not specifically labeled as a "Chain Charge". 

You do get a point for it, but it's not specifically labeled as a "Chain Charge". 

That's good to know.

Back to the topic at hand if people are still in the mood: There are plenty of other ways to "solve" the charger punch "problem". For one, the cost of melee weapons could be reduced. Another way would be to increase the cost of heals for the chargers. We can also entertain the idea of increasing the cost of upping charger spawn. For example, the charger spawns could cost a few points more. Furthermore, we can reduce the starting charger spawns to one and make the infected earn their punchy chargers. Of course, we would also need a "vote to kill" options just in case a newbie holds on to the only available charger. Really, the world is your oyster. 

That would be very unfortunate in finales like Parish, where upping chargers is a huge benefit and makes the map super fun. Maybe make it where chargers can't buy a heal (or cost more points might work.)

I still charger punch people because even though the points you get isn't great, it still causes a lot of damage. But I am finding myself not get charger punched hardly at all anymore.

Could we just drop enough melee weapons in spawn for everyone to grab one if they want one? I pretty much always go melee only now, I do miss my deagle.

• 1 year later...

Update 2.4.1.67gc:

• Added functionality to disable any item in the buy menu if the cost is set to -1.  It will only tell you it's disabled when you go to confirm the purchase
  • Updated functionality to work with Sourcemod v1.10+
  • Updated functionality to work with Left 4 DHooks Direct which replaces the old stuff.  Re-enabled maybe fixing campaign score with a monster amount of defibs?
  • Added ability for admins to change the total amount of Tanks that can be upgraded to instead of it only being 3.  This means that if an admin deems it necessary to, they can raise the cap to 5 (for example) Tanks alive at once...provided the Infected upgrade it that high though.  This number will reset to 3 every map as a safety precaution.  Convar is "l4d2_points_total_allowed_tanks".
  • Added !buy arguments (IN TESTING). 
    • You can now type "!buy ak" and it will buy an AK47 for you.  If you type "!buy ak laser", it'll buy both and will tell you how many points you've spent in total.  Support for this is pretty limited as it will only be available to Survivors (doesn't really make a lot of sense for most of the Infected items anyway and attempting to use this as Infected will simply not do anything), and only supports mainly firearms (no melee), weapon upgrades, healing items, throwables, and ammo.  You'll have to make sure the item you want starts at the beginning.  For example, if you want to buy an AK, you can type "!buy ak", "!buy ak47", or "!buy ak2347fruitypoptarts" and all will work.  I tried to make it so as many items can be shortened or work with like 3 or 4 letters.  The secondary argument is for weapon upgrades only.
      • List of primary "words" that'll work after typing "!buy" are:
        • "pis" = Pistol
        • "mag" or "deag" = Deagle
        • "hunt" = Hunting Rifle
        • "scout" = Scout
        • "awp" = Awp
        • "sniper" = Auto Sniper
        • "rifle" or "m4" = Assault Rifle
        • "scar" = SCAR
        • "ak" = AK47
        • "sg" = SG552
        • "m60" = M60
        • "chrome" = Chrome Shotgun
        • "pump" = Pump Shotgun
        • "ashot" or "autoshot" = Auto Shotgun
        • "spas" or "spaz" = SPAS (I sometimes see the spas referred to as the spaz.  shrug)
        • "uzi" = SMG
        • "smg" = Silenced SMG
        • "mp5" = MP5
        • "molo" = Molotov
        • "pipe" = Pipebomb
        • "bile" or "vomit" or "jar" = Bile Jar
        • "first" or "aid" or "kit = First Aid Kit
        • "pills" = Pillz
        • "adren" = Adrenaline
        • "heal" = Full Health
        • "laser" = Laser Sights
        • "exp" = Explosive Ammo (gun only)
        • "incen" = Incendiary Ammo (gun only)
        • "ammo" = Ammo
      • List of secondary words that will work after typing your primary word are:
        • "laser" = Laser Sights
        • "exp" = Explosive Ammo (gun only)
        • "incen" = Incendiary Ammo (gun only)

If for some reason using the !buy <stuff> doesn't give you the correct item or charges you the incorrect amount, open your console and take a screenshot.  Not sure how many people will use this as the majority of regulars use their own menu binds anyways and this just requires more typing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Carlos said:

There's also the fact that we can now see everyone type !buy and !up on the chat whenever the buy menu gets used.

Yeah, had to do it this way because it was conflicting with the buy shortcuts.

use "/" instead of "!" to make the command silent.

• Like 1

Update 2.4.1.68gc:

• Enabled Witch Fest support "l4d2_points_witchfest":
    • Survivors will automatically get 100 points when enabled
    • Infected will automatically get 200 points when enabled
    • New joiners should get points when they connect mid-round
    • All Tank related purchases will be disabled
    • Scripted Tank spawns should no longer happen
    • Witch Fest will disable itself after every map change
  • Re-suppressed !buy from appearing in chat after it's used the first time per map (to allow potential new players to know to type !buy in chat)
  • Like 2

Update 2.4.1.69gc ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°):

• Smokers and Jockeys can now get points for causing a Survivor to hang from a ledge (finally, amirite?)
  • Survivors get a new Upgrade item: Boomer Goggles - Cost 5 points
    • Boomer Goggles allow the player to remove the "bile screen" effect.  It's use is automatic.  Must be purchased beforehand.
    • Will break after a single use (think of you taking the goggles off after they get covered in vomit)
    • Can be re-purchased
  • Fixed color formatting typo for achievement "CAN'T TOUCH THIS".
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update 2.4.2gc:

• Added Bot purchasing (Survivor Bots only supported for now)
    • Points earned by players will also be added to a team specific bot point bank (value can be seen by typing sm_teampoints or sm_tp, but only if there's a bot on the team)
    • Bots will take points out of the point bank and use it to buy the following items:
      • Respawn (will not go against the team's respawn limit) - Will not respawn on corpse, but rather teleport to a random player on the team
      • Full Heal revive
        • Respawn and Full Heal Revive will be more likely to happen if they are able to
      • Tier 2 weapons + laser sight (if they can afford both at once)
      • Kits
      • Pills/Adrenaline
      • Full Heal if health is at 40 HP or below
    • There's no AI system in place for this, so points may or may not be spent as soon as they have enough to buy something and they could potentially bleed though a bunch of points if enough is racked up by the team at once.  There could be potentially long periods of time where bots just simply won't buy anything.  All this system is is literally RNG if something happens or not.  It's mainly meant to artificially fill in the gaps of a not 100% full server, but at the same time attempt to make the bots a little less useless...in theory.
  • Like 1

Update 2.4.2.1gc:

• Fixed bots not purchasing the correct Tier 2 weapons when told to.

Update 2.4.2.11gc:

• Restricted bot respawning to 3 per round.  May still tweak this depending on player feedback.
  • Halved the amount of points bots obtain if the amount of human players on the team is 7 or more.
  • Hopefully made it so bots can only respawn if a human player is not incapped to prevent bots from respawning back in the starting saferoom if there are no human players alive...hopefully better this time.

Keep in mind that the only reason I made a no limit to bot respawning was to test the whole system in a large scale and was by no means a permanent thing.  I was definitely going to lower the amount of times bots can respawn and other things balanced once I got the bugs patched out.  I understand how annoying bots respawning all the time can be, but it was mainly for testing in a large scale because testing by myself in a closed environment is a day/night difference when testing on a large scale.  Send me whatever feedback you can on this and I will attempt to tweak as necessary.  I intend on keeping bot purchasing a thing, but balancing it to a point where it's not annoying to players on the server.

• 1 month later...