Joplin, Mo. Tornado help

Preacher

(edited)

http://www.fox4kc.co...0,1141421.story

As some of you have no doubt seen on the news the Joplin, Mo. Tornado is the worst tornado disaster in 60 years. Coordinating with the Red Cross I'm heading out there on Saturday with a group from Restoration Church here in St. Charles, Missouri to help with clean up, pass out food, water and clothing. There is so much destruction that this looks more like a war zone than a tornado. So many people are displaced that I decided to join in with another local church to see what I can do.

I know this is one community with a giving spirit and I'll report back with how the money was spent. Right now we're trying to gather funds to purchase toiletries, bottled water, underwear and summer clothes for kids (many lost everything) and "ready to eat" food stuffs. If any of you would like to help me with this please donate whatever you can via paypal @ lisaelambert@gmail.com .If you include name and address, I can also give you a tax deduction letter. Thanks in advance.

Also please include in-game or message board name so I know who I'm dealing with :)

Edited by Preacher

Hey, I'll try to give something tonight when I get home. As a self-employed bohemian, it won't be much, but maybe it'll help.

I'm from St. Charles, by the way, so small world. I grew up in O'Fallon and also St. Peters. Went to school at Francis Howell High, and college at Washington University. Still follow the Cards.

Los Angeles. Graduated from USC film school a few years ago, now trying to make it in "The Industry." Have been a freelance writer for a couple of years.

I knew a few kids from Fort Zumwalt North. It's weird how being in different districts creates a kind of Hatfields and McCoys situation haha. Kids are just kids, but it doesn't feel that way when you're 14 or 15. That may be kind of a St. Louis/St. Charles situation, too.

Dave , stuff is so crazy here. Our local radio company Zimmer radio which has like 5 stations in town broadcasts 24/7 on all their channels about anything Tornado related. If you want i can try and keep you updated on current needs. Like i know for sure they are saying they don't need alot of clothing anymore. Not to say they wont need more at some point but yeah atm clothing is low on the list. Its hard to remember all the other stuff they're asking for specifically but like i said if you want i can try and pinpoint it.

So many friends lost their homes and one of my friends since childhood lost his life. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/43170303#43170303 .... interview with his wife.

I live about 15 minutes away from Joplin, so its all very real, and very close. Pray for all of these people , and ask the lord to continue to watch over us all around here and keep us safe.

Thanks man If you could I would really appreciate it. I know my friend that will be heading down there tomorrow is working closely with the Red Cross folks but if you could give me a current update before 5pm Friday I'll trust you to have the scoop. Oh and good to hear from ya Blind Man ;)

So far we've raised $40 from here, $115 from local folks and another $10 from another message board I visit. If anyone else wants to give it's really an awesome cause that goes 100% to help real people (no administration so no administration costs lol) Anyway I'm hoping to get $500 by Friday so please help us meet this goal.

From what I've read and been told by friends, the highest things on the needs list are mens toiletry items, plus size adult clothing, kids/toddler/baby clothes, baby/kids shoes.

Im sure anything will be appreciated though. But thats my best attempt to tell you whats *most* needed.

You might wanna head for Food 4 Less or College Heights Christian School for a drop off point. But there are multiple drop-off spots in town.

Thanks bro, we didn't raise as much as I had hoped but we'll be heading down 4am tomorrow. My wife and kids are going to be assisting with the clean-up and I'm with a coordinator team organizing workers and such with the Red Cross folks. At least Mo. folks won't be shooting at us like we had in New Orleans after Katrina lol

So tired but wanted to thank the two gents who helped out with donations. We passed out food and clothes to 20-30 families, in the morning we are touring the wreckage (I actually never got to see any of it today since we were so busy at the church). Anyone who would like to donate funds can still do so, or you can do it directly by giving money to the Red Cross. Thanks again guys