Troubleshooting my machine

(edited)

First off -- :wavey: Haven't been around much. We moved to Raleigh, NC. in Dec .. last part of last year was crazy. Trying to get my gaming PC working again.

I get a BSOD followed by an immediate reboot; then seems to start, but no video. Following that it seems like I can power it off and on as much as I want without getting any video.

Tried resetting BIOS, then it booted up fine. Thought that fixed it ... then it locked up like 15 minutes later (not BSOD .. locked up mouse wouldn't move .. CTRL+ALT+DEL wouldn't respond). At this point I tried removing one memory chip ... started/no video. Then swapped it out for the other. Booted up fine, ran for like 8-12 hours, shutdown for night, booted up fine the next day then BSOD/reboot/won't start!

Thoughts on what to try next?

If I can get it running, anything to check while its running?

I have an extra PSU, video card, and a set of memory modules from my wife's old computer I can steal. (She won't miss it ... shes got a mac now)

Edited by Bewildered

Swapped the video card, no difference ... so swapped it back.

Noticed something else while the case was open ... when it doesn't start, the cpu fan doesn't power up.

One of the times I got it running, I popped into BIOS and looked around. In the overclocking section, everything was set to as high as it goes ... though I've never messed with that stuff. Set it back to defaults and now it appears to be running fine (fingers crossed).

Swapped the video card, no difference ... so swapped it back.

Noticed something else while the case was open ... when it doesn't start, the cpu fan doesn't power up.

One of the times I got it running, I popped into BIOS and looked around. In the overclocking section, everything was set to as high as it goes ... though I've never messed with that stuff. Set it back to defaults and now it appears to be running fine (fingers crossed).

That is odd

Remove everything and put it back into place. My move last weekend caused my computer to not boot up either. I had to reseat the CPU and Video card and RAM and that fixed the problem for me. The computer getting bumped around and what not during travel can cause such things. More than likely that is your problem.

(edited)

Remove everything and put it back into place. My move last weekend caused my computer to not boot up either. I had to reseat the CPU and Video card and RAM and that fixed the problem for me. The computer getting bumped around and what not during travel can cause such things. More than likely that is your problem.

Will I need to lube up the cpu again with the same type of grease i used before when I stick the fan back down? I tossed all that junk when I moved.

Edited by Bewildered

YES!

Also to clean off the old stuff use a coffee filter (leaves no lint debris behind)

Thermal paste is available at any Best Buy, Microcenter and probably any Officemax or Office Depot. If you are not in a hurry I'm sure I could mail you a tube I have extra.