Diablo 3 NDA Lifted

ValenAlvern

Just a way for a company that's making tons of money already to make more. I hate what Activision/Blizzard turned into. Nothing but a bunch of money grubbing thieves. I'm pretty sure they're aware of the fact themselves. Throwing out shovelware FPS games using the same engine for years...although you can say the same for Valve, but at least they go out of their way to UPDATE their engine multiple times and make it better because that's how flexible it is.

http://www.1up.com/n...y-auction-house

I dont wanna touch D3 now

Just a way for a company that's making tons of money already to make more. I hate what Activision/Blizzard turned into. Nothing but a bunch of money grubbing thieves. I'm pretty sure they're aware of the fact themselves. Throwing out shovelware FPS games using the same engine for years...although you can say the same for Valve, but at least they go out of their way to UPDATE their engine multiple times and make it better because that's how flexible it is.

Except that this is items sold by players to players, with the currency being swapped between players and not Blizzard.

You have a "Suit of Healing" for sale, i buy it from you for $2.00 or 500 gold, you get that money, not Blizzard. This is where other online companies will start creating bots to farm items, then list the items for sale though.

GC Alumni
(edited)

http://www.1up.com/n...y-auction-house

I dont wanna touch D3 now

Except that this is items sold by players to players, with the currency being swapped between players and not Blizzard.

You have a "Suit of Healing" for sale, i buy it from you for $2.00 or 500 gold, you get that money, not Blizzard. This is where other online companies will start creating bots to farm items, then list the items for sale though.

There must be a reason why Blizzard wants people to spend REAL money on virtual items. Why not just have it be in game currency instead? Having real money with in game currency seems redundant unless a noob wants to be OP right off the bat, but knowing Diablo games, high-end weapons need the stats to wield them...and by the time someone has the stats needed, they should have the gold needed as well.

My only thought on this is that Blizzard wants listing and selling fees. All games that have an auction house have these fees or at least listing fees. When it comes to Activision/Blizzard, why wouldn't they want a more of everyone's money?

Watch, they'll charge 5 bucks for a new character class or something instead of releasing an expansion pack (how retro).

Edited by JackieChan

http://diablo.incgamers.com/

Grind through all the info there.

All they are doing is bringing in house what used to be all the gold/item farming and eliminating the selling of dupes.

The Auction House.

The big new feature reveal is an Auction House for trading. It’s similar to WoW’s auction house, and players can post trades for almost everything that drops in the game. Weapons, armor, runes, gems, gold, etc. Trading is realm-wide, with a very robust search/sorting option to find the mods you want on the item types you want. There are also systems to associate items of the appropriate level to your character.

The kicker, and what had our chat channel outraged, was the RMT aspect. There are essentially two parallel Auction Houses; one uses in-game currency (gold) and the other uses real world currency. Yes, dollars, euros, yen, coconut shells, or whatever your local currency is. Blizzard’s theory is that since there’s always been black market RMT, they might as well facilitate it themselves so players don’t get ripped off by third party hack sites.

Blizzard will not create items to sell; they’re purely facilitating player trading, while charging a small price for each listing. (To prevent spamming of junk items — each account gets a few free trades to start off.)

To be clear, Blizzard aren't making items and selling them - the auction houses, gold and cash, are only player to player.

The always connected to play thing I'm a bit thrown by but not a deal breaker for me. Honestly the only thing that struck me as annoying out of the gate is no support for guilds (so no GC group) out of the box though there are friends you can have and right not there is no "leave me alone" setting so if you are playing online and are just chilling and don't want to bothered by friends or otherwise... too bad.

Outside of that the amount of customization is factors beyond what D2 had.

Scuttlebutt is the top tier stuff will always end up in the cash house; which economically makes sense. Honestly this only affects people into the pvp aspects as there someone could "buy victory" as it were. Also all hardcore players can only trade/sell through the gold auction house. No cash option.

Blizzard has essentially made eBay for D3 but one thing that is important is when you make a cash auction you have to decide then and there if you are going to cash it out. You can choose to "bank it" (for credits) with Blizzard for Blizzard products or take the money and run and since B doesn't want to be a bank in any way shape or form you'll lose some more dime cashing out through whatever 3rd party monies provider they hook up with.

LOL at even thinking it is losing money for selling items found while playing a game.

Honestly, this has the potential to be both hilarious and insanely fun at the same time.

The what are you going to play thread got taken over by Diablo rantings so I'm splitting off those responses and dropping them here. Get all the info here or at any other gaming site actually...

http://diablo.incgamers.com/

New game play video. Tough choosing between Barbarian, Wizard and Demon Hunter... (video is a dump for press types to cut and paste from - just fyi)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjkNpBYEK1M

My first 2 choices will be Wizard or Demon Hunter. I've never been much of a melee kind of player so barb isn't appealing to me. The witch doctor and monk look very... boring to me. I prefer to shoot things from a distance, even if that means me having less health and having to run around a bit more to avoid being attacked.

Silly question, but doesn't the auction house that accepts real cash make RMT easier and encourage them more? Before, you had to go to some shady RMT website, pay through shady means, then meet in game and trade with shady characters. Now RMT companies can just auction their stuff on the auction house and it's totally legit, no? My only concern with RMT companies is that they bring the price down (won't necessarily say they destroy the game's economy, but they make crafting to get gear to sell less enjoyable and worthwhile)

Disclosure: basing this purely on my one and only MMO experience, Aion :P

(edited)

If they make it strictly eBay then there is no stopping people from pricing something 5,000$. This why I find this idea one of the worst. I think they're too lazy to add a cap for items based on rarity and stat difference to have a hi and low for each item and its variants. A way to stop it is to add one of those 20%~10% to pay the difference of each day it doesnt sell, this will stop people from putting up anything over 100$, and it could have a prompt each time you log on after each 24 hours or so saying "Your item didnt sell do you wish to keep it up?(Warning, you'll have to pay a difference of xx% of the value you have selected.) If youre not on it will automatically be taken down, they could also tie this in with e-mail so you dont miss out on this prompt when youre not at home. (Smart Phone App anyone?)

If not, prepare for day 1 mass inflation.

Edited by ValenAlvern

Apparently the more you price the item, the more it will cost to place the auction. You can still trade stuff between people without the auction house so dedicated trading forums will still be around (requiring trust on peoples part for that though)

The big deal here is that it levels the playing field for everyone.

On another note, what would have been beyond spectacular would have been a guild storeroom/trading system. Items get "guild locked" so groups can share/trade everyones finds amongst one another but the items are not able to be sold/traded outside of guild members and if a person leaves the guild all guild locked items revert to the guild treasury.

I can dream I suppose... (also, I'll be setting up a GC trade/gift forum for this game until this dream becomes a reality)

My first 2 choices will be Wizard or Demon Hunter. I've never been much of a melee kind of player so barb isn't appealing to me. The witch doctor and monk look very... boring to me. I prefer to shoot things from a distance, even if that means me having less health and having to run around a bit more to avoid being attacked.

Heresy. I'm going to be using the monk. :smiling2:

But seriously, I will probably hold off on buying Diablo 3 for a bit since I read articles this afternoon detailing the "online only" requirement. Granted, I only used the Diablo 2 single player a handful of times to test new builds, but I'm not liking the Ubisoft-like DRM.

Torchlight 2 will keep me company for the time being I guess. :shrug03:

Honestly of all the news being released concerning Diablo 3 this seems to be the most reasonable. If anything I'm more angry about the decision to make D3 online only. Though I guess that's not surprising since that's what they did for Starcraft 2. However Blizzard has now come out and said that there will be no mods whatsoever. Which of course means that when you're tired of all the content in the game then there's nothing else you can do.

http://m.kotaku.com/5826453/diablo-iii-mods-are-forbidden-banned-not-allowed

Honestly of all the news being released concerning Diablo 3 this seems to be the most reasonable. If anything I'm more angry about the decision to make D3 online only. Though I guess that's not surprising since that's what they did for Starcraft 2. However Blizzard has now come out and said that there will be no mods whatsoever. Which of course means that when you're tired of all the content in the game then there's nothing else you can do.

http://m.kotaku.com/...ned-not-allowed

There weren't really any mods for D2 either, but I still played that game for years. They're still going to patch it, and hopefully add a few things along the way with updates just like they have with D2. Prolly an expansion pack at some point. If they make it as solid as D2 was, its hard to get tired of the game, especially when they reset the ladder and your need to start a whole new set of characters all over. That's part of what kept people playing was ladder resets. I personally get tired of so much DLC and mods always coming out for games.

http://m.kotaku.com/...ned-not-allowed

There weren't really any mods for D2 either, but I still played that game for years. They're still going to patch it, and hopefully add a few things along the way with updates just like they have with D2. Prolly an expansion pack at some point. If they make it as solid as D2 was, its hard to get tired of the game, especially when they reset the ladder and your need to start a whole new set of characters all over. That's part of what kept people playing was ladder resets. I personally get tired of so much DLC and mods always coming out for games.

I'm confused, how could you not like/get tired of free content coming out for games that users make? Sorry if that sounded like an insult I'm just confused and trying to figure out what exactly you mean.

P.S. There were plenty of D2 Mods, people are still playing them even now

Well, yeah, there are mods for D2 but none of them are official in any way shape or form.

http://www.diablowiki.net/Mod

http://www.moddb.com/features/diablo-2-mod-roundup

I get where Bliz is coming from. The game is based on randomly generated maps so what's a mod gonna do? Diablo is just an odd beast when it comes to modding.

As long a Bliz puts out new artwork/areas (prob an expansion) but more importantly continues to add to the randomly generated quests you encounter (new events, new small artwork, new monsters) I'm good.

What I mean is I'm tired of new DLC like new maps every 3 months or new this or new that and everytime they want to charge you $15-$20 for this new material. When this should of all been thought of, put in the game originally so that it has enough variety to keep you entertained for a long period of time without the need to constantly release this stuff. It's a huge moneymaking scheme that really irritates me with newer games today.

I agree with FK that all they need to do is update the game regularly, maybe do an expansion pack at least a year down the road, not 3 months, and also not charge me for this crap. I think my big beef is really more with CoD than any other game because it's fun, but they are always releasing new maps that they want to charge you for and before you can even download it, they announce call of duty modern warfare 45!, coming in 30 days -_-.

Also none of those D2 mods are official from blizzard, which is what i was talking about. Blizzard doesn't release mods of their own really for the game. Hence why I played D2 for years without any.

Also why i get tired of content coming out for games, i think it's because I don't want to spend the rest of my life on a game, i want to have it, enjoy it, maybe a couple years, then feel like I've played it enough that I can buy something different and move on. CS:S was no different, though I played it longer than any other game, I kinda moved on, and the day they ever release a newer CS I'll prolly drop D3 and move on to that. Or try to play them simultaneously :)

And another side rant, people playing WoW who started the day it was released, MOVE ON. lol

Edited by samurai nightling