New AMD FX series is still behind the times

Preacher

I am looking at upgrading soon and so when I found out AMD was releasing a new 8 core CPU for under $250 I was pretty excited. I've been looking at reviews and benchmarks and I'm astounded that the 8 core fx-8150 is slower and less productive in almost every test than the Sandybridge 2500k and always slower than the 2600k. Even in hard core video encoding/processing the Sandybridge 2600k performed better. While the Sandybridge didn't blow the 8 core FX away, the Sandybridge is similarly priced and several years old. I find it sad that AMD/ATI, who led CPU performance/price from the k6 series until the AMD 64 series is now almost always the worse choice for a gaming PC. ATI is still a better choice price/performance so the company is not dead, but I still find it sad that they can't keep up in the CPU market.

Info collected from www.Tomshardware.com, benchmarkreviews.com,Tweaktown.com and overclock.net

The way everyone is crazy about multi core CPUs, I take it all these people do all day is encode video. I would have to say 95% of the time 2 of my i5 2500K cores are idle. Are there any games out there yet that use more then 2 cores?

Oh yeah, the K6 sucked for gaming. I had a K6-2 400 and a Celeron 300A both at the same time in the 90's. Both similarly priced, the Celeron had an edge in gaming, and laid waste to the K6 when overclocked.

I don't think AMD became a true competitor until the launch of the K7.

While I'm not a AMD fan, I am glad the company pulled through their hard times in the 90's and are still around today.

Same here my CPU, the QX9650 Core 2 Quad Extreme!!!, is still priced at around $350 or better. I don't really play at overclocking so I don't get all I can out of it, but I will most likely move to the i7/i5 config soon. Buying a house right now so it'll be a little while, but I research for a while whenever I upgrade.

Yeah, this is a huge disappointment. Not terrible cost wise but not the leap I was hoping AMD would make. Intel gets lazy and expensive when there isn't any real competition and there isn't any here. Since my son's computer died a couple of weeks ago, I may just put my AMD 6-core setup into his case and then upgrade to the i5 2500 or i7 2600. I am not sure yet. I just know that I am hugely disappointed with AMD right now. They are still top dogs video cards wise but man they haven't been able to do jack in several years with the CPU's. Not since the Core 2 Duo showed up in 2007.

I guess will be now is what motherboard chipset to go for. Intel boards have ALWAYS been over priced and polluted with so many different models and chipsets. It's always driven me batty.

I dunno, my last intel board was a Abit that I ran over 3 years and was under $70. The last CPU (C2D) I ran was only $50 and I had it clocked to 4.0Ghz, you don't have to buy intel's most expensive stuff. A quick glance at newegg shows plenty of Sandy Bridge capable motherboards starting at $50

Are there any games out there yet that use more then 2 cores?

A few years ago when I was playing Bad Company 2, I upgraded from my dual core intel to a quad core, so I could play the game. It made a world of difference.

Are there any games out there yet that use more then 2 cores?

A few years ago when I was playing Bad Company 2, I upgraded from my dual core intel to a quad core, so I could play the game. It made a world of difference.

I played BC2 last Christmas on my old intel dual core, and got 60+ fps with max settings. I figure video card matters more then CPU, did you get new video with that CPU upgrade too?