ARgHh! CS:S Update of Doom!

Goofus Maximus

After the new CS:S update FINALLY downloaded tonight, I can't get into the Retro server, and I think Mani might be the culprit. I can connect, and spectate just fine, but as soon as I join a team, it starts that stupid "connection problem. autodisconnect in XX seconds." message in the upper right corner. Console was less than helpful:

Counter-Strike: Source

Map: de_dust2

Players: 1 / 25

Build: 4720

Server Number: 1

ConVarRef mani_nextmap doesn't point to an existing ConVar

SetConVar: No such cvar ( mani_nextmap set to de_aztec)' date=' skipping

ConVarRef mani_tickrate doesn't point to an existing ConVar

SetConVar: No such cvar ( mani_tickrate set to 67), skipping

ConVarRef mani_reserve_slots doesn't point to an existing ConVar

SetConVar: No such cvar ( mani_reserve_slots set to 1), skipping

Got pure server whitelist: sv_pure = 1.

CAsyncWavDataCache: 2 .wavs total 0 bytes, 0.00 % of capacity

Goofus Maximus connected.

ConVarRef sb_close_browser_on_connect doesn't point to an existing ConVar

Redownloading all lightmaps

Next map is de_aztec

Server connection timed out.[/quote']

You can tell I'm peeved, if I actually went and posted here! :) New CS:S update gave us the stupid Valve intro. I wish they'd drop that from ALL their games! :D

well at least all of the players that love to hold down the trigger on a p90 and run should be happy... :luxhello:

I understand releasing updates to fix bugs, glitches, etc.. but calling the awp quick switch an exploit at this point considering the life of cs is shocking. This update considerably changed gameplay.. and from a team play perspective, now you just have awpers who sit back and only engage one enemy at a time.

somebody drop me a PM if they rollback that "fix"

Edited by mohawk

well at least all of the players that love to hold down the trigger on a p90 and run should be happy... :luxhello:

I understand releasing updates to fix bugs, glitches, etc.. but calling the awp quick switch an exploit at this point considering the life of cs is shocking. This update considerably changed gameplay.. and from a team play perspective, now you just have awpers who sit back and only engage one enemy at a time.

somebody drop me a PM if they rollback that "fix"

Well, since 1 bullet will pretty much kill anyone, from anywhere on the map, even if you hit them in the foot...what's the big deal about only engaging one enemy at a time? Is that to suggest that people should be able to camp in a safe, far away place and destroy an entire team within seconds? I dunno, I feel the only fix for the awp is to eliminate it...it's the sissiest weapon that a multiplayer game like this could have...I can't even see how it's fun to camp and pick people off with an awp...i'd rather sleep, lol.

I agree with Clueless. Some players only use the awp because they can't stand having a poor kd ratio or want the kd ratio to be so wide it makes them feel important, they have to be on the top of the list. I have seen players when they do have the awp but can't seem to get that kd ratio to their liking leave entirely, or leave and come back to re-zero their score. They just have to be on top.

And of course, this coming from someone who rarely has the top score, guess I am used to just having fun instead of having to be the top gun.

I never understood why autosnipers were banned and the AWP wasn't. The AWP is still the better sniper gun. Is it banned because that is how the server has always been? Why not limit it like the AWP instead of banning it?

Edited by Jibbajabba

It's just fun sometimes? I never had much problem having a good K:D, didn't need the AWP to do it. But I usually pulled it out in retaliation to someone on the other team using it first. It's a gun in the game, blame valve for making it a 1 hit kill, not the players using it.

I can blame whomever I choose! Also by that analogy : Blame Ford for making a truck that can go 125 miles an hour down a side-walk full of pedestrians, not the person behind the wheel!

The awp in the hands of a skilled player makes them all but unstoppable, giving them an almost unfair advantage. It also slows down the game because everyone is walking around on eggshells worried to stick there head out because when they do BAM awp shoots you in the finger and you die.

I personally would rather the awp be banned or at least limited to 1 per team. Back in the cal days the awp was my weapon of choice, it does have a place in a 5v5 match but less-so in a pub.

Also I've noticed valve made it so you can aim much better when in mid-air, even with a scoped weapon, very annoying.

Any chance we can get a scopeless server back? Played the last few nights after a long break. Some of the maps tonight it were out of control with all the awpers. At least with the new update there should be a restriction put on the number of them. I like the idea of scopeless coming back more though.

• 2 weeks later...