Pumpkin Beer

yErMoTH3r

(edited)

i know its mainstream.. but I look forward to sam adam's octoberfest every year..

also.. i read that this year yuengling released an octoberfest beer, but they only sell it by the *keg.. i'd be interested to hear some impressions if anyone has tried it as they don't typically do seasonals

Edited by mohawk

Dogfish Head Punkin' Ale is the best I've had so far, but none of them have really been worth buying compared to non-pumpkin beer. Most of them are overspiced, presumably to cover up a lack of actual cereals in there.

It may be late in the year to talk about marzens, but Leinenkugel's Oktoberfest has been my favourite in the last few years and is probably available around the midwest. Sam Adams' this year to me doesn't taste nearly as good as last year. With the Halloween (i.e. candy) season well under way, Cherry Wheat is always worth a mention though.

* Just saw Pumpking at $8.99 for a 22oz bottle. Wow, that's some expensive beer.

GC Founder

What is this stone you speak of?

As Pumking in my area (13 places I searched) is unavailable - I've tried the southern tier creme brulee stout - also yummy and @220z 9.6abv oooooo

I implore you to seek out the mild spiced pumpkin beverage I wish I had now - all others are well below any extended drinkability I have attempted. I would also suggest a nice topper of whip vodka ;-)

Pumpking is faaar to much pumpkin and spice for me. I like to taste a bit of beer in my beer...

@stutters -- I haven't had that one yet, I need to find it. I've had their normal IPA and it was pretty good, but I think 120 minute is still my favorite for a nice long drinker. The Goose Island IPA is my hometown favorite for something you can have a few more of, but still get that hoppiness.

the stone 15 year will be hard to find. i've only seen it in 22oz bottles, and i think it was $8-$10. it's a beer you have to try, but probably only once. you'll have an easier time finding their arrogant bastard (american strong ale), pale ale, and ruination ipa as six packs. if you see an oak aged or double bastard, or the sublimely self righteous ale, get one of each -- commonly in 22oz.

any of you home brew?

the stone 15 year will be hard to find. i've only seen it in 22oz bottles, and i think it was $8-$10. it's a beer you have to try, but probably only once. you'll have an easier time finding their arrogant bastard (american strong ale), pale ale, and ruination ipa as six packs. if you see an oak aged or double bastard, or the sublimely self righteous ale, get one of each -- commonly in 22oz.

Interesting, I'll have to see if I can find stone here in Michigan. I'm a big fan of hoppy beers.. Surprised you didn't include this Surly Furious.

Most pumpkin beers don't make the cut but Dogfish Head has a good one but BJ's a brewery/restraunt chain based out of Sacramento has the best Pumpkin beer in my opinion. Fall has some of the best beers out there, got a 12 pack of Sierra Nevada's Tumbler brown ale in my fridge that needs attention, speaking of....... ok back with one opened and 1 back up ready to go.

Stutters is correct about the Stone brewery. Luckily Total Wine & More opened shop here in Reno and they have all the 22oz harder to find versions available.

Edited by Madvillain

Interesting, I'll have to see if I can find stone here in Michigan. I'm a big fan of hoppy beers.. Surprised you didn't include this Surly Furious.

surly furiousis one of my favorite beers, but they don't distribute outside of minnesota. any time i travel up there for business, i always sneak a few 4 packs in my luggage for the return flight.

Ever had Hop Stoopid? Or Devil's Elbow and Total Eclipse of the Hop, or Paddock Wood's Loki (which doesn't have its own page, apparently) The last 3 are Western Canadian, but the Hop Stoopid one is from California. Very hoppy and delicious.

i've had the hop stoopid, but not the others. adding em to the list!

surly furiousis one of my favorite beers, but they don't distribute outside of minnesota. any time i travel up there for business, i always sneak a few 4 packs in my luggage for the return flight.

Ever had Hop Stoopid? Or Devil's Elbow and Total Eclipse of the Hop, or Paddock Wood's Loki (which doesn't have its own page, apparently) The last 3 are Western Canadian, but the Hop Stoopid one is from California. Very hoppy and delicious.

i've had the hop stoopid, but not the others. adding em to the list!

Drinking a pint of the new Surly Wet right now! They use incredibly fresh hops and can it and sell it quickly. The can I'm drinking right now was canned on Oct. 12th. Surly Furious is probably my favorite also tho. Haven't you ever been to the Fitger's brewery in Duluth, MN?

Drinking a pint of the new Surly Wet right now! They use incredibly fresh hops and can it and sell it quickly. The can I'm drinking right now was canned on Oct. 12th. Surly Furious is probably my favorite also tho. Haven't you ever been to the Fitger's brewery in Duluth, MN?

yeah, now that you mention it, i do remember going there. i've only been up through duluth a couple times, but stopped once for beers. not terrible, but also no surly (or stone).

...but back to surly wet. i'm going to be in minneapolis on nov 7. if you live between the airport and bloomington, snag a 4 pack for me, and don't drink it before then, i'll give you monies.