Stunning, in a bad way, HD prices

Flitterkill

Yea, read about the Thailand thing too, and thought to myself, "meh, a few dollars diff, no biggie...", but wow didn't realize it would be that bad. SSD prices have not been affected yet (at least, not the ones I'm keeping track of in my wish list). Not sure if I should buy the SSD now

Urgh, found this online:

On the plus side, since they don’t require the same parts as platter-based drives, the SSD market hasn’t been affected yet. So if you’re looking at getting an SSD, now’s the time to do it, as the across-the-board increase in platter-based hard drive prices has made SSDs much more attractive in the short term.

However, you’ll want to act fast. As more OEMs and consumers start looking at SSDs versus the sharply rising-in-price platter-based drives, there’s no telling how NAND supplies may be affected. As a result, it’s unlikely SSD pricing will continue to drop. The more probable scenario will be that SSD prices will stabilize for the time being, with the possibility of actually increasing based on an increased demand.

Don't buy that WD, I have the 1.5tb version and it is the worst drive I have ever had. If you don't access the drive after about 30 seconds it takes a good 45 seconds to spin up before you can access it. It goes into some sleep mode. I wish the tree huggers would stay away from my stuff.

i work at a small computer company and my boss is literally swearing over the phone, because all of the "distributors" are holding drives to increase the price. its pretty bad right now, i don't think I've sold even 4 hdds this week. i'm not on commission so it doesn't effect me that badly, but the bonuses for those drives do come in handy...

Ooooooo I would hate to be in the market for a new computer right now.

And to think I just few weeks ago I bought a Samsung 1TB for $50 from the egg. Now it's $140. :=

Wow now that 1TB drive is $160.

Seems like some "normal" HHD prices can be found through retail outlets.

I wonder how much a HDD would cost if produced in the States. We can make cheezburgers pretty cheap. :biglaugha: