Anyone want a Tribes Ascend beta code?

VooDooPC

It's actually a lot like the original Tribes. The only HUGE bummer is the free to play model. A game like this SHOULD not be pay to play anyway, so I don't like the fact that they throw micro transactions on top.

In the original you select your armor type, light, medium heavy, then you select your guns. Certain armor classes could only use certain guns. In Tribes Ascend they have it all divided into classes. There's maybe about 16 classes and you start with two unlocked, each additional class is going to cost you monies and the only customization within the classes is by leveling them up to unlock things like more ammo or carrying more grenades, things like that. There's also "perks" that give you bonuses too. You can't unlock new weapons or anything.

So if you unlock the sniper class, you are going to have light armor if you like it or not, you're going to have the sniper rifle they want you to have and you're going to have the stupid alternate gun they want you to have, which I hate. Each class gets it's own special item and a "belt" item. The sniper gets a claymore which is about, 3 feet tall and a radar jammer. You can upgrade the sniper rifle to carry 1 more bullet per round, or increase the long range damage.

The engineer gets a grenade and a turret. You can upgrade your class to let you build two turrets at a time, or make your turrets do more damage. The engineer gets crappy SMG and a repair tool as weapons...

Right now the beta only has two maps.

Some things I don't like are the base turrets seem almost useless. The whole point of the engineer is to upgrade them and repair them, but even the heavies have no trouble avoiding them. Upgrading them only increases their HP and damage, but if they can't hit anything, they're useless. There's also a radar, it says it detects guys at longer ranges, but there's not even a map, so I don't know what that's about. The original games let you take control of the turrets through little control panels, they removed that.

Also, there's no health packs or anything (can only heal at the base or recharge HP after some time) so the disc launcher (it shoots an explosive disc, imagine a rocket launcher) is seriously over powered. It can kill a light class in two hits, which isn't hard to do since it has a lot of splash damage and fires pretty fast.

The sniper rifle is near impossible to use since guys move so fast, even on a light guys it takes two-three hits to kill. A sniper shot to a medium guys foot will do about 1/10th of his HP and since it's so hard to accurately hit dudes you're better off using another weapon. If you miss once or twice the guys HP can recharge before you are able to shoot him again.

The game is made by the same guys who made Global Agenda, so if anyone played that it feels pretty similar. Jet packs and stuff...

I'm not sure which game you're talking about. :(

Tribes Ascend isn't really much of an MMO FPS. The only thing that makes it like an MMO FPS at all is the microtransactions. It's 16vs16 with leveling. Compared to Battlefields 32vs32 with leveling, this might as well be a Call of Duty game. :P