Solid State drives

ZeroDamage

So what should I get? I've been trying to read up a little because I am honestly out of the loop on these things. I see that the normal size is either 120 or 128GB. I've seen reference to the OCZ Octane but cannot find them for sale anywhere. I think I want to grab one and use it for my large games like BF3 and MW3 which do a lot of loading, especially BF3 which takes several minutes to load up for me.

I do not want to spend over $200 on one and want it to provide enough space for my steam games (plan on cleaning up additional unplayed games) and Windows.

So this is what I do not know: What should I be looking for? Read/write speeds? Life expectancy? etc etc.

I honestly forgot about Tom's. That article basically says the Agility 3 which is what I've been looking at on Amazon. If I order it now, I could have it now for my 3-day weekend install. I probably should have grabbed my RAM from Amazon as well. It'll be a good number of days before I that memory from New Egg. Oh well.

I am looking at these two.

http://www.amazon.com/OCZ-Technology-Agility-2-5-Inch-AGT3-25SAT3-120G/dp/B004Z0S6SO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320863194&sr=8-1

and

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Force-2-5-Inch-Solid-CSSD-F120GB3-BK/dp/B0051A8T52/ref=sr_1_12?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1320864883&sr=1-12

They both seem to have really good speeds around the 500~mb/sec range.

I went with the Corsair which comes with the bracket to fit 3.5 inch towers. I should have it tomorrow with Amazon prime which means I got the 3-day weekend to reinstall windows after cleaing up my Steam folders, defragging it and all of that jazz. I will post up on how it goes.

I have amazon prime and grabbed the Crucial drive from there and got it today. Still finishing up my Windows reinstall but WOW! So fast.

If I would have thought, I would have bought another one but made it 60GB and used that solely for Windows and used the 120GB for games and the like. I may still go that route later but I think that is the idea way to set your system up.

It is amazingly fast. Once my system gets past the POST stage, it takes about 2.5 to 3 seconds to boot to the login screen. Once I log in, My system is IMMEDIATELY usable; I can launch any and all apps without having to wait. SSDs will over take platter based drives soon enough.

It is amazingly fast. Once my system gets past the POST stage, it takes about 2.5 to 3 seconds to boot to the login screen. Once I log in, My system is IMMEDIATELY usable; I can launch any and all apps without having to wait. SSDs will over take platter based drives soon enough.

cool