AMD vs nVidia... again.

Cinkadeus

So I find myself where I land every 2 years or so.... I need a new video card to feed my FPS habit and I'm wondering whether to go AMD (thats ATI) or nVidia again. I currently run a 9800GTX nVidia on a quad-core Intel chip. Luckily, PCI tech hasn't changed any since I bought this rig so I won't be replacing the entire mobo. So I dare to ask the community, in risking a debate worse than one based in religion, which should I get?

I'm eyeing a 560 or so nVidia card. I have a $300 price range.

oh and almost forgot, this will be for BF3, Batman:AC, and WoW mostly. Yeah, I know... WoW. Don't say it, just let it rest there.

Edited by Flitterkill

So I find myself where I land every 2 years or so.... I need a new video card to feed my FPS habit and I'm wondering whether to go AMD (thats ATI) or nVidia again. I currently run a 9800GTX nVidia on a quad-core Intel chip. Luckily, PCI tech hasn't changed any since I bought this rig so I won't be replacing the entire mobo. So I dare to ask the community, in risking a debate worse than one based in religion, which should I get?

I'm eyeing a 560 or so nVidia card. I have a $300 price range.

oh and almost forgot, this will be for BF3, Batman:AC, and WoW mostly. Yeah, I know... WoW. Don't say it, just let it rest there.

I'm dropping in a 470 next week, replacing a 280 gtx, so let me know if you (or anyone else) has the desire to purchase and wait for the next generation (it plays bf3 pretty well. )..

else I'd get a 570

I honestly have only built 3 rigs thus far in my computer building years ( 2 mine, 1 a friend) and have only gone with nVidia. They have given me zero problems to date, so i see no need to switch to ATI anytime soon. I've stuck with EVGA and XFX for my brands of nVidia cards though, I don't buy the cheap off brand ones. Currently running a gtx260, but i dropped a gtx460 in a friends a couple months ago and for the price of around $150 it was a nice 1GB card, he hasn't complained. I've thought more than once of buying another one of them for me. If I had a $300 price range I'd definitely go for a 570.

Sorry for the lack of ATI experience though. I also just looked at Newegg and most of the EVGA gtx460 cards that i thought of buying are out of stock :(

Edited by samurai nightling

Yeah, Its been a long time since I've used ATI as well. There used to be a distinct difference in the two. I see that if you pair an ATI card with a AMD CPU there's some inherent advantage, but I'm strictly an Intel man after that whole 'slot' CPU debacle. That, and 2 of the 3 games I listed are "As its meant to be played" branded for nVidia.

I really like this site http://www.hwcompare.com/9154/geforce-gtx-580-vs-radeon-hd-6970/

Bang for the buck I think ATI is your best bet, highest possible performance (outside your listed money range) Nvidia.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150517 $319 after rebate

If that's too much I have this one http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1126273&CatId=3669

Get 2 in Crossfire and watch the pixels fly lol

My vote would be for the 560ti. I've got an EVGA GTX570 superclocked paired with an i5 750 and it handles everything I have thrown at it with ease. I would have easily gone with the 560 though at the time if I didn't have a little extra cash burning a hole in my pocket at the time though :)

Thanks for all the input. I think I'm leaning toward the Radeon HD 6950 2GB. I can't crossfire or SLI on this rig but performance/price ratio seems better on ATI cards. The shader count alone on ATIs is awesome. I'm figuring on making a decision the first week of Jan when Newegg tries to dump all its Christmas excess inventory. That's when you can get the best deals from them.

From what I've read up on when doing research for my new GTX560 Ti (installed it 2 days ago, so far so good) most of the processors on the market cant utilize the 2gb of vram on a card unless you are going top top end, so you may be able to save a few bucks getting the 1gb version. I am not sure if I had read that on Tomshardware or a video card comparison site.

AMD. I don't feel like supporting intel and nvidias coming monopoly.

Yeah no kidding, so Intel is going to buy Nvidia like AMD bought ATI? :lol2::huh:

I side with nVidia. I'm not a fanboy or anything, but ATI screwed me about 10 years ago on a RMA by sending back a lower tier model card. Haven't bought anything by them since.

Yeah no kidding, so Intel is going to buy Nvidia like AMD bought ATI? :lol2::huh:

I side with nVidia. I'm not a fanboy or anything, but ATI screwed me about 10 years ago on a RMA by sending back a lower tier model card. Haven't bought anything by them since.

Well ATI may have screwed ya but there are a ton of manufacturers that back there ATI based cards. EVGA, XFX, Powercolor, Visiontek etc all back up there stuff and have pretty good customer relations for this sort of issue.

HIS once sent me a card that was a 2 step up from mine. I had an ATI 9600xt and they sent me the 9800xt

MSI, Sapphire, Zotek, Gigabyte and ECS are known for giving people a much harder time. Now this is with a valid receipt for a new purchased card, not some eBay "hope it works" purchase.

Well ATI may have screwed ya but there are a ton of manufacturers that back there ATI based cards. EVGA, XFX, Powercolor, Visiontek etc all back up there stuff and have pretty good customer relations for this sort of issue.

HIS once sent me a card that was a 2 step up from mine. I had an ATI 9600xt and they sent me the 9800xt

MSI, Sapphire, Zotek, Gigabyte and ECS are known for giving people a much harder time. Now this is with a valid receipt for a new purchased card, not some eBay "hope it works" purchase.

FWIW, EVGA is Nvidia only. I'm on my third EVGA nvidia card and they are the primary reason I have stuck with Nvidia. EVGA's customer service is second to none.

But yeah, the "monopoly" comment is pretty funny considering AMD/ATI did it first.

(edited)

FWIW, EVGA is Nvidia only. I'm on my third EVGA nvidia card and they are the primary reason I have stuck with Nvidia. EVGA's customer service is second to none.

But yeah, the "monopoly" comment is pretty funny considering AMD/ATI did it first.

Intel has been trying to push AMD off the market for years. i'm not the kind of person who really roots for the underdog but i have problem with the way intel runs their business. I admit that intel and nvidias products are far superior in performance right now. I'm really only supporting AMD because if Intel doesn't have a competitor to match prices with, computers are going to cost as much as they did 10 years ago. here's some interesting articles; http://www.anandtech...es-with-the-ftc http://www.anandtech.com/show/2873

Edited by P4N1K

• 1 month later...
(edited)

I know old thread is old, but I just pulled the trigger on a Gigabyte 560 Ti. So now I can pwn u nubes in style.

forgot the linkies: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125401

Yes, Gigabyte. I've never had any issues with anything they've made. I've been running their Ultra Durable 3 Mobos for years now with no lock ups, freezes, or crashes. They've earned my trust.

Edited by Cinkadeus
  • Like 1