So...

Flitterkill

It's so hard to start a Battlefield sever with a handful of people. When you have a community like ours where 5-6 splinter off to play a game it's easier to play together on an existing server than to sit in an empty server waiting for it to fill up. If most of the community was into Battlefield 3 it would be awesome, but that's unrealistic. I always thought a Squad Deathmatch server would have been easier because it's 16 players, but my opinion doesn't have much sway.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think we can make this happen if the interest is there, I have no problem putting in some work, but I can't do it all....so I guess we need to gauge the level of support that we can get for this baby.

Also need to look into admin clients and see what works well, one thing I don't want to be doing is typing in endless strings of commands while i'm trying to play. There are a couple of programs out there, one of which being bf3cc. It looks good, but it's almost hard to tell out it works until we get something going to play with it. I would ultimately want something HLSW-ish that can be running on a laptop or something nearby that can be easy to access and point/click.

I really enjoy playing this game and I want to keep it that way, if it's determined that playing admin will be excessively cumbersome, then I think I would just rather pub it :)

Maybe we can get mookie to set up a "trial" server to play with it and see how easy managing it will be? Other things to consider will be the format....I think Hardcore is a necessity, but beyond that I would need input, my initial thoughts would be Mixed Mode.

I had a brief convo with Flitter about this, and I think we can make it happen, but again , the interest has to be there.

Yeah, like I told Clueless, for us with the way we buy our game servers getting this back up is pushing a button and $7/month.

Trivial.

If you guys want to try it by all means but let me just state the obvious: unless you guys play on the server *exclusively* you'll never build server population. GC's past experience with this game says you're gonna have to work for it.

I think one of the biggest differences between building a loyal following with Bf3 and CS:S is that CS is set up to have alot more interaction...built in voice com feature, more visible chat...those things and the fact that the gameplay is not quite as intense, and you often have alot of time to kill while you are dead and waiting for the next round, make CS an easier game to build social relationships so to speak. Bf3 is very fast paced and intense, and you respawn in seconds making chat time very difficult, except for those times when you are so mad that you HAVE to let the other guy know what you think of him, lol. That's the biggest hurdle to overcome in my opinion, you never really get to interact with people so that they can find out how cool and awesome we are. It's pretty much standard practice to jump from server to server it seems....the best we can hope for is to land on alot of favorite lists, making us one of the daily stops, even if it's just one of many.

The other issue will be enforcement of GC standards...personal disrespect will have to be the key offense to focus on. The game itself has many voice overs in it containing F bombs and everything else, so we can't really enforce a no swearing rule when the game itself is in constant violation, which to me is fine, I have never been a big bawl buster on swearing anyways....other than the super vulger stuff, or anything directed at another player....I swear like a sailor myself, so do many others in this very community that are upholding the standards while playing in our servers. Bottom line on cursing in Bf3...we certainly aren't going to win that battle in this game.

This is getting off topic but hmmm... One of the key things about GC is (was?) the notion that for voice chat even if the game itself was lit up with the naughty words, it did not spill onto text or voice chat. You can *choose* to listen/hear that stuff when you play but it stays on your end. Same with swearing when you did something stupid. Every few months someone would roll through saying "But the game uses those words..." etc etc... for CS:S and UT2K4 only to be told to stuff it.

If you swear a lot use push-to-talk to self-censor. It's not hard. And naturally for text chat that stuff doesn't need to be there at all.

I knew we'd have to skew a little PG-13 for new servers to build populations, etc. but it sounds like L4D2 is pretty open. I'd like to know what is/isn't allowed but let's take that off-thread (email otherwise the filters will kick in)

There is no voice in bf3 except through Origin and you have join the party to be involved. The only swearing per say will be typed out in chat and there are filters for that. GC rules would and will be enforced to a certain degree. 1 warning, kick then if persistent banned. The difference between this game and L4D is that you can go up in the mountains and camp sniping till your heart is content. It won't kill the team. It will be like CS but a different (and better lol) game. No worries. Clueless and I have been to this rodeo before. Scopeless.

I have confidence that we can make it work.