Can we get a timer/buffer before the door can be opened?

Desterion

• 2 months later...

This problem has been getting worse. There are a half dozen guys that do this now specifically for the reason that it gives them an advantage. Hard to go a chapter now without it happening once. It's not fun at all for infected or the slow loaders to have to constantly deal with this.

I tried doing this, but I need at least 3 other people to help me test it. Preferably someone with a slow computer.

I am in Korea right now and for that reason my ping is usually in mid 200. I can lend a hand if you want.

It just goes to show how much a single player can change the whole team. I've always wondered why even after a team scramble, the teams are still unbalanced. A single player rushing or playing really badly can spread out a team and slow them down. A single player with a mic telling people what to do and organizing their team (ie. getting them to spawn block, setup death charges, ect) can also turn a team of average players into super heroes. I've just always found it intresting how even with 20 players, just one guy can have a massive impact.

EDIT:

Another thing I've noticed: After a single defeat, players on one team get anxious and start playing selfishly. They think their teammates can't protect them so they stop taking risks to help other people up or they'll rush ahead to avoid getting left behind. I'm just pointing this out because I find myself subconsciously doing it sometimes and by recognizing it I can try to avoid doing it.

Edited by napalm22

Mr. Zero was talking a while a go about a plugin that actually slows players speeds if they rush too far away from the rest of their team, eventually slowing them to a crawl, in an attempt to dissuade players from rushing.

As for the maps that don't have saferoom doors on them. Create a start saferoom door on x y z coords, lock the door, and when all clients load in, start a 30 second timer, or something, that when expiring unlocks the door.

This should, at the least prevent rushers from leaving before all the players have loaded in. If some players are taking minutes to log in, just create a timeout timer that starts the ready up period, even if all players haven't loaded.

But I would look into the slow-based on distance from the majority of survivors (assuming they are far ahead on the level flow, as you don't want to slow the guy left behind)

I believe the plugin actually increases the speed, slightly, of any players left behind.

Mr. Zero was talking a while a go about a plugin that actually slows players speeds if they rush too far away from the rest of their team, eventually slowing them to a crawl, in an attempt to dissuade players from rushing.

As for the maps that don't have saferoom doors on them. Create a start saferoom door on x y z coords, lock the door, and when all clients load in, start a 30 second timer, or something, that when expiring unlocks the door.

This should, at the least prevent rushers from leaving before all the players have loaded in. If some players are taking minutes to log in, just create a timeout timer that starts the ready up period, even if all players haven't loaded.

But I would look into the slow-based on distance from the majority of survivors (assuming they are far ahead on the level flow, as you don't want to slow the guy left behind)

I believe the plugin actually increases the speed, slightly, of any players left behind.

Nope, bad idea. You going have to re-work on that one because sometimes rushing will be and is going to be needed. There are times when a team is near death and all they need is that one person to run ahead to win the game (preferabbly a main ofc), you wouldn't want a feature like yours to kick in at that moment. Is one of those rare cases but still a important aspect to equate into. Let's not forget why they name this game Left 4 Dead in the first place.

i believe the guys plugin actually has a bunch of options like...

Not effective if x team members incapped, or some other stuff, but you're correct, there's no great and effective way.

I've been trying to think of how to do it for a while, since I don't have a community that bogs down my thought process anymore,

but, honestly, I haven't been able to figure out a soluble way to do it. If you figure that one out, let me know.