Anyone using USENET?

ZeroDamage

Anyone using Usenet and have more connections than they need or can use? The norm is 20 connections and most ISP's are saturated at 10 connections. I would be willing to pay half via paypal or something to share an account. I thought I would ask before dropping cash on a specific provider. I am currently using a free account and only get 2 connections max.

I was with Newsguy forever (defined as starting in the mid-90's) but flipped to NewsDemon two years ago when they had one of those lifetime deal specials; Newsguy just no longer had the retention anymore, and they cost more. Good people though. 80%+ of all these providers are just resellers for TradeWinds or whoever they are called.

For NewsDemon now I think I'm $9 something a month. I've seen lower on occasion but by and large it's $10 -$15 a month for unlimited, ssl, 30 to 50 connections, etc. or $95 to $100 a year if you pre-pay, depending upon deal/coupon/etc. My plan with NewsDemon no longer appears and I suspect I only have ten connections. Sorry.

I use Giganews. Right now I'm at their "Silver" level, which is $15 a month. 50gb a month limit, 20 connections, SSL and 1,264 days retention. The next step up, "Platinum" has no bandwidth limit, it's $25. In the last few years I hardly go up to 50gb a month now that I have Netflix and stuff.

But looking at the NewsDemon Flitter mentioned that looks better and now I want that. :P

Edited by VooDooPC

Nope, just your growing insanity now. Site logs are clear of both topics and posts on this subject or from you. Only thing nuked since I found and restored this topic last night was Lousiest deleting a youtube clip of a ball girl at a tennis match forced to capture a large bug; post removed as the clip was pulled from youtube.

• 8 months later...

My ISP still hosts a usenet/nntp server, tho they have been threatening to get rid of it for years. It's rather nice as I can pull a full 50MBit/s down from it. I use the now sourceforged MicroPlanet Gravity reader which has support for yEnc'ed files.

My ISP still hosts a usenet/nntp server, tho they have been threatening to get rid of it for years. It's rather nice as I can pull a full 50MBit/s down from it. I use the now sourceforged MicroPlanet Gravity reader which has support for yEnc'ed files.

Who is your ISP?

• 2 months later...

So it seems that the NZB indexers are being shut down including mine. Anyone have one that is still up that I can use? All of the ones I've found are either shutdown or invite only. Going to cancel my newsgroup subscription if I do not find a working index asap.