Adding a port switch to an existing network

Wolfsblood

Ok, so we have a network set up at work using a netgear router. Don't know the model, or specs because I didn't set this one up. The real issue isn't with the router, but the way the building has been wired for network traffic. Each work station/desk area has (or soon will have) ethernet ports in the wall. This sounds ideal, but the computers we use for artwork need to have ethernet access to our Epson 4880 printer. At our previous location, the printer was wired directly into the router, but due to the locations of the router and printer in our new building, this is no longer possible.

Wireless access isn't an option due to the volume of data that needs to be transmitted from the computer to the printer, neither is USB because the cable cannot keep up with the data and printing speeds slow down too much and can introduce errors into the output. I also thought about just wiring the printer directly to the main artwork computer, but there are also many times that artwork is produced on other computers, so having direct network access is most desirable.

It seems to me the best solution is to add a switch to the wall plug nearest the main art computer, and the printer. Question is, how do I accomplish this, and how is network addressing handled? Also, if this can be easily done, can it be done using a standard Linksys WRT54g router? I ask this last question because I currently have 2 spare routers sitting around.

Thanks for any help. :)

It would be best to use a gigabit switch between your PC and the printer. You would run the cable from the wall into the switch then run two additional cables; one each for the printer and another for the PC.

I have no idea how IP addresses are handled; I am guessing DHCP from a server or something in your organization. Routing between your computer and your printer would be handled by the switch that you put in and would be ideal because the pc would route directly with the printer. You can get one at walmart or what not for like 20-30 US dollars.

This is assuming that your work network is a typical setup with Active Directory or a DNS server already set up. Ask your IT department.

I would not bother with one of your routers unless you want slower access because they are not Gigabit and you know how to configure it to be a switch and not a router; you do not want to introduce a "rogue" DHCP server to the work network. It can be disabled in the interface.

(edited)

I've seen a couple of pretty gnarly network setups in "professional" environments (switches after switches after switches). I like ZD's advice: get a gigabit switch. It will be the simplest solution, and act as simply a pass-through for the traffic instead of running the risk of unintentionally adding a DHCP server to a static IP network in an AD (which could happen with the Linksys router you mentioned).

Are the other "art computers" near the main one/printer? Or is the printer only near the "main" one and you just need the printer and that computer to share a wall outlet? If that's the case, then a simple 4-port gigabit switch would be all you would need. Plug it in then forget about it.

Edited by boiler

Only thing I will say is it doesn't matter if you use a gigabit switch if your main switch(es) are 100Base, and if you want to get it up and running dirty without waiting push and hold the reset button the WRT54G for 30 seconds or so when its powered, run a cable from a PC to one of the "LAN" ports on it, set the PC's addresses to 192.168.1.2, go to http://192.168.1.1 login ID will be blank, password will be "admin". Disable the internal DHCP server, and use the four LAN ports on the back which will act as a simple switch now.

Only thing I will say is it doesn't matter if you use a gigabit switch if your main switch(es) are 100Base,

This is a really good point I should have mentioned. The gigabit part of a new switch will only really be effective if the "main" switch for the network is also the same speed. Setting up the Linksys router like Amertrash described would work just fine if you don't/can't have gigabit speeds. I would also make sure to disable to wireless while you are in there messing with the settings. In the long run, a simple switch would probably be the way to go. (or wire another wall outlet near the printer!)

Only thing I will say is it doesn't matter if you use a gigabit switch if your main switch(es) are 100Base, and if you want to get it up and running dirty without waiting push and hold the reset button the WRT54G for 30 seconds or so when its powered, run a cable from a PC to one of the "LAN" ports on it, set the PC's addresses to 192.168.1.2, go to http://192.168.1.1 login ID will be blank, password will be "admin". Disable the internal DHCP server, and use the four LAN ports on the back which will act as a simple switch now.

If the switch is local and acts as a "hub" for his PC and the printer, it will bypass the main switch resulting in gigabit connectivity between the PC and the printer. If the printer is somewhere else in the office and is not connected directly to the small gigabit switch, then he will not see the benefit of the gigabit switch. I hope that makes sense.

If the switch is local and acts as a "hub" for his PC and the printer, it will bypass the main switch resulting in gigabit connectivity between the PC and the printer. If the printer is somewhere else in the office and is not connected directly to the small gigabit switch, then he will not see the benefit of the gigabit switch. I hope that makes sense.

The switch will act like a "switch", as that is what it is a layer 2 switching device does. A "hub" is entirely different piece of hardware that is now rarely seen, not good to just throw that word out there. The printer also lacks gigabit connectivity, not even the HP 6xxxx series monsters sport 1000Base ethernet probably because it wouldn't do you any good, even 100Base with a 512MB print buffer(massive) you'll fill it in less than a a couple of minutes, far faster then the printer can print.

Edited by amertrash

Ok, the Netgear router that runs the main network is 100 base. The switch would be connected directly to the main artwork computer and the printer. The other computers that are sometimes used for artwork are in adjacent offices.

I'm thinking that amertrash's idea should work fine for us, because the software needed to rip the artwork to the printer requires a hardware dongle connected to the computer with the RIP software installed on it (the main artwork computer). In this configuration, the other computers should be able to RIP files to the printer using the main art computer much the same way I can print to my bosses printer from another networked computer, as long as the Epson 4880 is shared on my computer as well.

The switch will act like a "switch", as that is what it is a layer 2 switching device does. A "hub" is entirely different piece of hardware that is now rarely seen, not good to just throw that word out there. The printer also lacks gigabit connectivity, not even the HP 6xxxx series monsters sport 1000Base ethernet probably because it wouldn't do you any good, even 100Base with a 512MB print buffer(massive) you'll fill it in less than a a couple of minutes, far faster then the printer can print.

If he is going to buy a smal 4/5 port switch, you may as well buy a gigabit switch. They do not cost much more than a 100mb switch and will give the option for additional gigabit equipment later if the need arises.

As for my use of the term "hub," I know the difference between that and a switch. I am trying to use terminology that is understandable to those that are not into the networking thing. I used quotations for an obvious reason. You can still buy hubs but to do so would be silly.

This is also not a competition.

wolfsblood: That is a clever way of getting around the hardware dongle, I like it. Also, death to hardware dongles.

zd: Wasn't trying to be competitive. If a user doesn't understand how a switch works simply calling it a 'hub' isn't going to help him understand it any better, if anything it'll lead to confusion as it already as a well defined meaning.

As to what you guys called my mom, I accept that but it was still uncalled for. I truly attempt to be as vague as possible so here is my solution using the language of my wife:

Take and plug the thingies into the other thingy and then make sure all your thingies are not the wrong thingies so that your thingy works with the main thingy.