Helping New Players

cecurity

I pretend I have too much time, so I want to suggest something to help the noobs including myself to pick up the game quicker XD

If we can put a "Tips and Secrets from the Best Players" or something like that on the pop up menu, and replace the stats menu...kekeke, sorry Jackie but I don't care about those stats too much >_<

A few things I didn't know back then until I almost got kicked...such as the legendary "spit and die"...or high pounces can make you a fortune, which I only found out recently lol. Stuff like !tp or !sp, or how to bind key for !buy, etc.

I think newbies will actually be interested and read it, which would benefit the whole server much quicker instead of waiting a couple of months for the players to be mature.

I guess I will be the first to share. I recently learned to pre-press firework to clear horde out quickly. I was watching sk played and wondered, "how does this guy get his firework out so quickly!?" Well I don't have quick fingers like that, so for the rest of us we will have to settle for some pre-action just like pre-firing. To dial it, the number is 177(sometimes 176). Just press 1 to say "yes" when you need it.

If you roast enough zombies you get 2 points back, or sometimes more LOL~~

Can always make a forum post summarizing all the commands and what they do. Short list of tips and pointers. Sticky and lock it.

Unless that's already posted somewhere.

Not everyone's played modded servers so they are not aware of the !buy menu, I was surprised tbh that there were other tips in game such as access to !light but not a tip on how to access the menu. --- unless it's there too, been playing on this server too long, too desensitized to everything in chat lol.

Edited by JyKri

I don't know if too many newbies would come visit this website, but if we put up a pop up menu and package it nicely I think they will read it during the pre-game or dead time.

Hell according to Jykri I have only scretch the surface of binding keys. So how do you bind buying fireworks?O_o

Edited by cecurity

Well not everything has a shortcut. If you wanted to bind buying fireworks, you would prolly need a macro key that when you hit it, does "!buy, option 1, option 7, option 7, option 1" in quick succession. My G15 could do this, though I never have set it up to. I might though.

Actually I tried this with my G keys and its not working with the buy plugin. Even if i set the G1 key for macro "!buy, 1,7,7,1" it doesnt get past just bringing up the buy menu. It's like it hits the first key in the sequence and then none after it.

Edited by samurai nightling

Would I set it up in the console of L4D2 like that? I was trying this with the macro manager for the keyboard itself. I currently have my "[" bound to sm_buy, so in the macro manager i had it so when i pressed G1 it hit "[,1,7,7,1" but like i said, all that does it bring up the buy menu. Doesn't hit the rest of the keys as if i did, only the "[".

Also, the "wait 5", are those in milliseconds?

Edited by samurai nightling

alias "weapon" "sm_buy; menuselect 1; menuselect 3; menuselect 4; menuselect 1"
alias "fire_six" "sm_buy; menuselect 1; menuselect 7; menuselect 6; menuselect 1"
alias "fire_seven" "sm_buy; menuselect 1; menuselect 7; menuselect 7; menuselect 1"
alias "firstaid" "sm_buy; menuselect 3; menuselect 1; menuselect 1"
alias "pill" "sm_buy; menuselect 3; menuselect 3; menuselect 1"
alias "adrenaline" "sm_buy; menuselect 3; menuselect 4; menuselect 1"
alias "molotov" "sm_buy; menuselect 1; menuselect 6; menuselect 1; menuselect 1"
alias "pipe" "sm_buy; menuselect 1; menuselect 6; menuselect 2; menuselect 1"
alias "bile" "sm_buy; menuselect 1; menuselect 6; menuselect 3; menuselect 1"
bind "h" "say_team /heal"
bind "v" "say_team /repeatbuy"
bind "b" "sm_buy"
bind "n" "say_team /laser"
bind "m" "say_team /ammo"
bind "-" "bind KP_UPARROW fire_six"
bind "=" "bind KP_UPARROW fire_seven"
bind "KP_HOME" "weapon"
bind "KP_UPARROW" "fire_seven"
bind "KP_PGUP" "firstaid"
bind "KP_LEFTARROW" "pill"
bind "KP_5" "adrenaline"
bind "KP_RIGHTARROW" ""
bind "KP_END" "molotov"
bind "KP_DOWNARROW" "pipe"
bind "KP_PGDN" "bile"

Someone posted this while back. Only thing that I have added is binds to alternate fireworks. I check the fireworks at the beginning of the round and change it accordingly using '-' and '+' key. This way I don't have to bind the fireworks to more than one key. Edited by Socks

Would I set it up in the console of L4D2 like that? I was trying this with the macro manager for the keyboard itself. I currently have my "[" bound to sm_buy, so in the macro manager i had it so when i pressed G1 it hit "[,1,7,7,1" but like i said, all that does it bring up the buy menu. Doesn't hit the rest of the keys as if i did, only the "[".

Also, the "wait 5", are those in milliseconds?

The wait is only there to try and compensate for lag. The number after "wait" is in frames so about "wait 30" is a second.

• 1 month later...

Bump, since someone asked me to...

Also, I'll put in the binds I did for some basic stuff:

bind "q" "sm_heal"

bind "c" "sm_buy"

bind "v" "sm_repeatbuy"

bind "b" "sm_buy; wait 1; menuselect 2; wait 1; menuselect 1" //Should buy a suicide on infected, if I remembered it correctly

bind "t" "sm_ammo"

bind "[" "sm_teams"

bind "]" "sm_tp"

bind "5" "sm_buy; wait 1; menuselect 3; wait 1; menuselect 1; wait 1; menuselect 1" //Buys a medpack as survivor

... I think you get the idea

Why not have the instructions on that welcome splash screen? Like a big red "HEY, READ THIS BEFORE PROCEEDING" message. You don't get teamed up until you pass that screen anyway and that way you won't be standing in spit while reading how to use !buy.

And thanks for the macro shortcuts. I was thinking there was a shortcut to buying fireworks like lasers or ammo.

Yeah only problem with the fireworks one is that sometimes it ends up giving me a propane tank instead.. I guess it's not 1, 7, 7 on every map?

Thanks for posting those, Biggs. And yeah, there's 1 or 2 maps that switch that around for some reason. I usually buy at least 3 propane tanks on accident :(.

Yeah only problem with the fireworks one is that sometimes it ends up giving me a propane tank instead.. I guess it's not 1, 7, 7 on every map?

Thanks for posting those, Biggs. And yeah, there's 1 or 2 maps that switch that around for some reason. I usually buy at least 3 propane tanks on accident :(.

That's because in some maps, some things in the Misc Menu are disabled like in c1m2_streets, the coke is disabled, and in scavenge maps the gas can is disabled.

And just WHAT is wrong with propane?

hank-hill.jpeg

Then I suggest actual keyword sm commands to be registered for these items, so we can directly buying our favorite items w/o having to fumble over a menu that is sometimes unresponsive due to lagg, all agreed? great. Make it so.