Respawning Poll

Biggs

Respawns--I want your opinion!  

41 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If respawns have the same penalty as defibs, then it doesn't make sense to respawn at all unless the dead player's corpse is unreachable, which only happens at specific situations. Respawns cost more than defibs because they can still get their survivor score w/o incurring the penalty. Imo, remove the respawn limit, leave the price static for 3 respawns, then increment the price which each succeeding respawn. (if it ain't broken,.....)

GC Alumni

Well--you say it's not broken, I say having no penalty for respawning is pretty broken in itselt. The fact that a team can still get a perfect score even after having a player die is a bit silly to me. The 0 pt penalty really can take away alot of hard work done by an infected team, which really sucks. Just my opinion--guess I'm outnumbered in that view though.

I would have to vote for no respawns as well, but lets examine why:

What it comes down to is survivor respawn or !sp, pick one. As it is now, a couple of skilled players can essentially carry an entire team, even back from death. As a concentrated group the survivors are very powerful, so without one of them doing something stupid, the Infected have to use much more teamwork to kill even one of them. It trivializes the sting of death when it can just be easily bought off.

I make no secret of how I feel about any mods, but some do add to the game. The sending of points is a useful thing to have, but when combined with other mods it can create a bit of an imbalance. I can say that before there was survivor respawn, the game just seemed a bit more competitive.

If respawns have the same penalty as defibs, then it doesn't make sense to respawn at all unless the dead player's corpse is unreachable, which only happens at specific situations. Respawns cost more than defibs because they can still get their survivor score w/o incurring the penalty. Imo, remove the respawn limit, leave the price static for 3 respawns, then increment the price which each succeeding respawn. (if it ain't broken,.....)

It would become a risk vs reward, Defibs still take time to use and you can get interrupted(Defibing has little to no point even in the server, and people get mad for using them). If a some of the mains or players are dead and people dont want to go out, they would/could use the respawns (which would be used like this or in a similar fashion). Making them deduct points would get rid of the huff and puff of using defibs.

Also the respawn limit is there since it easy to get points, you can get 30 easy at the start of the map just using a pistol. Longshot, Headshot and Pistols Only gives you a bunch of points (since they work on commons)

GC Alumni

I'd love to try the costs at 20, 40, and 60 pts for the three respawns; and having a score penalty too. I think it's gotten to the point where respawns detract from the importance of each member of a team.

I really enjoy defibing somebody, it feels like you are giving a player another life. The power, the thrill ...and it makes you feel selfless. Therefore I strongly believe it should not be penalized, rather it should cost incrementaly but no points gained for such action.

Defibing is part of the game, many instances players will have to go back to the dead body to perform such action which changes the game dynamic. I never consider pooling points together to respawn somebody is part of the game I enjoy, especially when people got charged off they should stay dead. Eliminate actions require typing other players' names as much as possible.

I think respawning should be unlimited and incremental by say, 10 - however, you can't send points to the people that are dead. The dead can send points out, but you can't send them any points to be used for respawn. No Penalty at the end. If someone dies with 50 points, I think they should be able to respawn. Just my opinion

Take respawning off for a month and see what happens.

This is too logical and straight forward. We need something devious and sadistic like a free tank with each respawns.

That's a little brutal. Now I CAN support spawning a witch on every respawn. Make that a 20 pt option like the hoard one.

Take respawning off for a month and see what happens.

This is too logical and straight forward. We need something devious and sadistic like a free tank with each respawns.

What about a temporary increase to the spawn rate?

Although witches, hordes, and increased spawn rate for the infected is not a bad idea, if the survivors are reviving the dead players in the saferoom only tanks can pose a real threat.

I think a tank would be an interesting twist. Maybe have it with a 50% chance to spawn a tank, or an incremental chance. 1st respawn is 1/3 chance, 2nd is 2/3 and 3rd respawn is 100% chance. Does your team run back to defib for -25, or do you risk chancing a tank for that player? Either way there needs to be an incremental penalty for respawning.

• Like 1

There really isn't a need for a tank spawn at a survivor respawn unless people really need that much of a handicap. 30 points weakens a team considerably assume there is at least some communication / chemistry on the opposing team.

I think a tank would be an interesting twist. Maybe have it with a 50% chance to spawn a tank, or an incremental chance. 1st respawn is 1/3 chance, 2nd is 2/3 and 3rd respawn is 100% chance. Does your team run back to defib for -25, or do you risk chancing a tank for that player? Either way there needs to be an incremental penalty for respawning.

This is an interesting idea, the chance of tank spawn. Working really hard to kill a survivor and then him just popping back into existence is heart breaking.

BUT, I don't like thinking too hard. I don't want to type !tp and do some math and consider if we can survive a tank spawning or take into account,' will the infected take this as a trigger and spawn another tank with said tank,' or many other situational thoughts that would go along with "should we send points to revive this guy?" It's too much.

So the best way would be to incrementally increase the cost of respawning. 10's too big of a gap, I'd say start with 25, 30, 35, ...

I think it's ridiculous that one person can now carry the team - this goes for infected as well with the high amount of points hunter pounces garner, but it's hard to prevent that on infected - on survivors though it has because somewhat overblown between the sendpoints system and the non-penalty respawns. If you spend the time, effort and teamwork to kill a player they should stay dead. If you deathcharge someone, they should especially remain dead. I have never seen how it is fair to buy a respawn, let alone the !sp system, but that's a different issue. I would vote no respawns, given that the serer has become muddled with way too many modifications, and has strayed, imo, from what it used to be - to quote directly from our server page -

"GC's L4D2 server offers simplistic gameplay mods that aren't cumbersome unlike other 10v10 servers out there. We don't have mods that, depending on your time played on the server, drastically overpower you, give players unfair advantages over new players, or just ruin the experience for everyone else"

It's even gotten to the point where new players are hated and ridiculed because it's impossible to connect to our server and pick up all the nuances of how to play.

I know I am not alone in this thinking and every admin I have talked to, and many regulars, concur that we have too many mods that give unnecessary advantages and complicate things.

Edited by crunchyorphan
  • Like 1