GC Standards- Would you stay?

samurai nightling

Would you stay?  

28 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

(edited)

Also, don't start on "oh we bring up a vote for a reason" -- if you have not noticed, I can almost say with 100% accuracy that 95% if not 100% of the map change votes that gets brought up goes through.

In reply to your side note--since I feel it's mostly me that puts up these votes:

So you could also say with 95-100% certainty that all proposed votes 'go through'?

I'm not sure how this made-up stat helps your point, since it tells me that most people want to skip finales in a blow-out win scenario. Maybe you're saying the players don't know that they don't actually want to skip? Sorry to be defensive.. in any case I'll try to think of other options other than proposing skip votes in these situations. We happy?

Sorry I do not have a database to support my perspective for when I am in game plays and see all of the vote skips go through.

I don't know why you are getting defensive, my post was not projected at anyone specifically, nor is my statement false even if the statistics are not to your standards.

Also, I'm not sure if you read everything I wrote but here's to reiterate a possible solution in which I've seen other admins and heard of jackie doing as well.

On a side note:

I remember about a few months ago, finales were NEVER skipped, and if it did happen it was a rare occasion. I remember specifically Night and a few others did not approve of skipping on finales.

Can we bring this back?! It's frustrating when teams actually communicate and work for the win only to get it skipped on finale. If anything, give the other team 30-40 points if the score cannot emit a win for the other team (1300 is the score difference for finales fyi so you can do the calculations). Bring the fun back, and not the bull.

Edited by JyKri

GC Alumni
(edited)

Yeah I read your post, but didn't immediately accept giving 30-40 points to the other team as the best alternative. That's why I said I'll think about other options. Thanks for reposting it for me though.

Edited by Biggs

Sorry I do not have a database to support my perspective for when I am in game plays and see all of the vote skips go through.

I don't know why you are getting defensive, my post was not projected at anyone specifically, nor is my statement false even if the statistics are not to your standards.

Also, I'm not sure if you read everything I wrote but here's to reiterate a possible solution in which I've seen other admins and heard of jackie doing as well.

I've never skipped a finale nor will I ever intend to. However, I did add the option for them to be skipped because there are several people on the server who kept complaining about a certain finale they wanted to be skipped or the points were so far off that they wanted to skip the finale because playing it out would be pointless. I always play out finales whether or not I'm on the winning or losing team as I could care less.

oh god.

okay quickly.

FK-

Oh, but what happens if I try to stop people from acting like that? People get all tinkley and say "relax" or question server rule ethics and whatnot then come on the forums and complain that admins are acting unfairly and it's "ruining the atmosphere of the server".

Jackiechan can insult anyone who has a suggestion in forums, buy calling them "tinkley" but when TIMES say hes whining- Its too far? theyre about the same caliber of remarks.

You can see in each one of my posts I'm not singling anyone out for it to be a personal attack or anything. I'm using a few unnamed people an example of people who whine and complain about GC's rules which aren't up for debate. Plus I'm stating something that has actually happened in the server. People did get mad about me enforcing GC rules, yet now people want them enforced to a more stricter extent?

I also said lets drop the letting 12 year old watching people get decapitated in video games debate.. yet jackie chan continues to talk about it, with one of the worst arguements- "I played violent games and I turned out ok" ... Am I really supposed to take that argument seriously? I NEVER even said l4d2 lead to violence! i just dont want my 13 year old nephew watching gore and hearing the B*** word over and over.

That's where we don't come in. We're not parents or guardians, that's the real parents and guardians job. Don't want them playing here or the game because of it's content? Fine, that's a choice, but it isn't ours to make. We don't have control of what developers put in their games.

Nightling- I dont care how sparingly you claim to used the !drug command, Jackiechan uses it all the time, and hes an admin. He gets free reign to !drug ppl on a ZERO TOLERANCE server.

I use it on some people because they apparently don't seem to care. If people asked me to stop doing whatever to them, I would be more than willing to comply...which NO ONE has done yet. Besides, it's not like I keep it turned on that player for the entire game, I toggle it off within 15 seconds anyway. :unsure2:

Jackiechan- I have the choice to take somebody's argument seriously, and I will not take the last one about !drug having nothing to do with drugs, as a serious argument. no offence.

But you're pushing the zero tolerance toward drug references with the !drug command.

also saying

Point being they never influenced me at all. I played CS as young as the 7th grade. What's so different from letting a 12 year old play this game compared to them overhearing a R rated movie?

You realize youve dug yourself into a hole with this logic? Rated R movies often have foul language and drugs. Things GC stands against.. Do you see how youve completely contradicted yourself?

Lolwut? How can you put personal experienced situations outside of GC and relate them to GC?

:unsure:

So...if I'm a part of GC, I can't watch R rated movies...? Maybe I'm missing something here.

(edited)

I guess Ill address one thing, and just kind of start to drop the subject..cus of the amount of words used on a very simple point.

uh @Jackiechan-

"What's so different from letting a 12 year old play this game compared to them overhearing a R rated movie?"

Thats really hard one jackie- youre LETTING them play, and you accidentally, or had no control over them hearing the R rated movie. emphasis on LETTING them. (aka giving permission)...........................

But sorta beside the point.

I see you didnt understand what i meant, which I actualy didnt explain too well-

1. You feel that people are not following the rules and you are now going to drop the hammer on people (specificaly those who talk about drug stuff and/or cussing)

2. You yourself use the !drug command (which apparently has nothing to do with drugs).

Heres where it gets funnier-

3. You use the neat little argument, there is nothing wrong with violent video games because I (jackiechan) am a good person, and have played violent video games from the womb.

You then compare that to watching an R rated movie- which often has violence, SWEARING, and DRUGS.

4. All while you claim to be the white knight of GC upholding its moral values against SWEARING and DRUG STUFF!!!

Colors help understand things-

this too-

Zero-tolerance policies forbid persons in positions of authority from exercising discretion or changing punishments to fit the circumstances subjectively; they are required to impose a pre-determined punishment regardless of individual culpability, extenuating circumstances, or past history. This pre-determined punishment need not be severe, but it is always meted out

Edited by Times138

(edited)

Can you expand the zero tolerance rule to the rushers and stackers? I think clearly defining the definition of a rusher and a stacker would also help. And if you start banning rushers instead of kicking them I will buy the one year membership and even consider donating.

Edited by Socks

Can you expand the zero tolerance rule to the rushers and stackers? I think clearly defining the definition of a rusher and a stacker would also help. And if you start banning rushers instead of kicking them I will buy the one year membership and even consider donating.

Rushers:

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/gc-l4d2/announcements/detail/974107329955645529

Rushers are pretty easy to tell once you've played this game long enough. Usually about 2 choke points ahead and I don't know.. if they don't stop when you tell them to come back and the only thing they are pressing down is their forward key.

GC Server Admin

The issue here in the original post is: GC Standards. I wish people would not digress and deviate from the subject matter at hand (especially with this one) as all the ideas of rushing, griefing (!drugs included) et al, are only small issues in relation to the bigger picture of the GC Server.

I certainly would welcome a re-inforcement of the rules, as then, people would clearly understand what would be expected from all concerned, thereby promoting a healthier environment for all to play and enjoy.

The simple idea being, if you respect the server (and judging by the commitment people show by buying membership) this is an automatic assumption (I think) that you do respect the server and it's rules, the same respect will be reciprocated in return.

Peace and goodwill

• Like 1

Well we sure weren't enforcing it today.

I'm all for it.. When I signed up, I read through that and knew what was expected of me. I didn't even know we were lax on it at the time. I don't mind the occasional slip in the heat of the battle, but when you key up to specifically say nothing but "F!" multiple times in a row, then yeah, that has to end.

• Like 1

Was there actually an admin in the server at the time? I was just looking when u were playing and didn't see one. If things arent being followed its a members duty to remind people that we have these rules in place, and then if u can get some proof of the offense. We can always temp or perma ban anyone at any time after proof is given.

MPG or that "Radical" guy :P is usually on when i am, but not today. I occasionally say Watch the Language but I don't have a mic here at my office so it mostly gets overlooked.

Edited by Cinkadeus

(edited)

I'd still play here if we went to the zero tolerance, but i occasionally let one slip and usually immediately apologize for it, so maybe like Jackie said a one warn would work.

On another side note:

Is it possible to get some consistency when regulars want to switch to help a losing team? I've been told on a couple occasions when I want to switch to help the losing team that it's unfair to the winning team to do so. And usually when the other team is getting clobbered by more than 1500-2000 points I at least want to help the other team if it's obviously stacked on one side.

Also, how long is the afk kicker timer set for and are admins exempt from it? Sometimes it can be maddening to have to wait 20-30 minutes to get into a server with a spec slot taken by a seemingly afk spec and another one who is actively waiting to get in. Theres one regular (not naming names) that this happens with with some frequency.

Edited by direkt

Are we really doing this again? lol

lolrite?!

*ehem*

so, in closing, gc is a clean gaming community. that means, among many other things, no swearing, racism, or drug references. when in doubt, just go back to the "clean gaming community" thing.

want to argue any of those points? we've heard it. all of it. 10+ years of hearing it. instead, save us all some time and use your server browser and find a new place to play.

appreciate the environment it creates and the friends you can make? stick around, help out where you can, and spread the word.

these simple policies allow us to run servers that attract more mature players. seeing as several us are near AARP age, it's a lot more fun playing with people that can form complete sentences and make fun of the people we regularly play with without the need to be vulgar or obscene. besides, some of the really responsible and mature gc'ers went out and had kids, and some of them want to have a place on the internet that has some shred of integrity. how completely unreasonable, right?

i've got no tolerance for this hypocrisy mud slinging, either. bad admins will (and have) weeded themselves out. most of the time, it's just two people who don't like each other, and someone pulls the hypocrisy card. i refer you back to the mature players point.

i hate to break it to anyone, but this is a zero tolerance community. we just also have a bunch of really good admins that have sensibilities to know when it's an honest mistake versus a deliberate intent. sorry this hasn't been better enforced on the l4d2 server, but don't be surprised if you see a swift and sudden change.

anyone else on the board please add your thoughts, otherwise i'm calling this here thread closed.

/drama

• Like 1