FFO 2013 - Formative Work

Flitterkill

I wanna be a part of this great event. July is the best time for most of us, I believe. I'll also try to convince Farberio to come along. Can I bring guys which are not GC members?

Drunk Lousiest, lol

welcome to the forums meow meow :)

Thank you :3

We are talking most likely July 2013. Planning will take a bit and this is still all, as the forum title says, "formative". But I can give you a little bit of a hint as to what to expect.

Using all the previous FF's as a guide it will begin officially on a Friday morning and continue through Sunday early AM (like 3AM). Sunday morning is packup and leave/travel (no later than Noon) though some people get together and do other stuff on their own Sunday afternoon. Thursday is an optional day of golf, etc. with LAN setup in the evening as we would not officially have the meeting space until Friday morning. There will be families attending with kids so best think of this as a long family-type reunion with those not reserving a chair for gaming off and about in the pool, amusement parks within travel distance, National Park/Forest excursions, etc. Early registration will be cheaper than when we have to have your money closer to the date. Once you send money the reserve/seat at FragFest is yours! No refunds. If you can't come you'll need to try selling it on the forums. The hard reality is this requires real money to reserve meeting room space at a hotel and once we commit (contract) to a space of certain size having people backout is not going to work.

But that's getting into details. Hard to say cost right now but previous FF's have been greater than $60 and less than $100 a head. That's only for the cost of getting the thing going and maybe some food (but not all by a long shot). My bet is Breakfast will be on your own to a large extent and we'll have lunch and dinner planned (think pizza/subway for lunch and buffet/boxed catering for dinner). Whether this is built in to the registration fee or not will be determined way down the road. Beverages (the boozy kind or otherwise) again will be up to you. You'll still need to deal with travel expenses and the cost of a 2-3-4 day hotel room. Once we get formal with this we'll have a date and a place set; I'd expect probably around September-October sometime.

Feel free to look over the FragFest forums we have here. Pictures from the last few years are a bit scattershot and the official website is on my punch list to change (it'll happen along with the next forum upgrade slated for, well it was by the end of this month...cough Diablo cough...). Just reading through stuff will give you a good idea what it's like. I've cleaned up those FF forum descriptions a few days ago listing the location and attendance (formal) for each year. At its peak we had around 90-ish people paying for a gaming seat in the ballroom. That's not counting any other folks attached to those people who were there for the weekend.

2008 was a hard year as the meeting room space reserved was to hold 90-ish people just like the prior years but when the economy turned hard people pulled way back and only 50-ish actually came. Subsequent FragFests the meeting space dropped way down to 40 people max just to be safe (not lose money or cost the people setting this up money). Couple that with some old hands stepping away, CS down in popularity at the time, UT dead (and not many UT folks attended anyways) and that's why it's pretty much drifted away the last two years.

My bet for 2013? July 2013 will be three years since folks came together. We have the #1 L4D2 server in the nation. CS:GO is arriving. I'm thinking many prior attendees want back in. I'm thinking many new folks want to see faces behind the screen names. I'm thinking we can hit 90-ish. And believe it or not, I think we can go bigger than that if we want.

• Like 1

In 2010 there were waivers from the hotel for free breakfast.

They had that for FF07 and FF09 as well when I went those years.

Seat reserves I thought were always 50 bucks the 3 years I went.

Would we aim for the ballroom, or what we used for FF09-10? For FF09-10, we had those 3-4 big rooms to the side of the entrance across from the bar (opposite of the reception desk exit of the bar). Those seemed to work fine, but we did have power issues both of those years, but they were always straightened out within the hour of it happening I believe.

We just have to hope that the main game being played (CS) won't get an update that weekend which would force everyone to have to update using the hotel's wifi which was going at a blazing 30kb/s and it was a pretty sizable update too.

For Sunday, everyone was to have been packed up and checked out of the hotel by noon. Basically people would need to pack up their stuff before they go to sleep that night. 09 and 10 room rates were I think 99 bucks with a 20 dollar discount for attending FF.

Food and beer runs were made, there was a keg that I believe was tapped dry early on.

Hah, I think I still have that "Terms and Conditions" paper from FF07 plus all my shirts.

Plus, lousiest got drunk at FF10. I'm never gonna let him live that down :P

Yeah, that CSS update was brutal. I remember I got it the night before, so I lucked out. Everyone else was try to download it Friday night. I think that was the update that they had the beta for, they added all the achievements and stuff in that one.

Yeah, I remember hearing about that when it happened. Sounded like fun...

And yeah, I think this feels like a big one - so large space and such.

Hope the wifi is better now..., then again it may be some other hotel so ???

Yeah, that CSS update was brutal. I remember I got it the night before, so I lucked out. Everyone else was try to download it Friday night. I think that was the update that they had the beta for, they added all the achievements and stuff in that one.

lol, ya I remember that, the achievements did get loaded in...... JackieChan abused me while I was getting beer and was afk just to get his achievements, hehe thats the only way he could get them.... lol, I never see him on CSS, probably to scared to come in and get worked over, hehe,,, U know I luv U Jackie. :cool:

Yeah, board games were brought too if people are interested in that. In 2007, a group of people, myself included, went paintballing...and I got shot in the neck, lol.

Guitar Hero/Rock Band will probably be set up on one of the projectors.

If you want to bring something that you think would be fun, go for it and see if anyone around is interested. Most likely, you can usually round up people to do whatever.

lol, ya I remember that, the achievements did get loaded in...... JackieChan abused me while I was getting beer and was afk just to get his achievements, hehe thats the only way he could get them.... lol, I never see him on CSS, probably to scared to come in and get worked over, hehe,,, U know I luv U Jackie. :cool:

Lol, for some reason I don't remember doing that.

*edit

Just kidding, I believe I remember now, lol.

Yeah, board games were brought too if people are interested in that.

I have an assortment of board games and would be happy to bring some along. :-)

They vary from pretty casual and crazy fun (Cosmic Encounter) to intensely strategic games (Puerto Rico or Power Grid).

I'm 12 and what is this Battleshots?

Polish Horseshoes would be fun.

Basicly it's battleships with shots instead of ships. Tequila, whiskey, rum. Whatever you want.

Not sure anyone would want to get that hammered at the LAN...maybe shots of beer...or cut up pieces of paper enough for all the glasses, put different things to drink or do, fold up those pieces of paper and once someone hits one of your glasses, you have to perform the drinking action. Like "do a shot", or "down an entire beer" or something like that...

No one wants to pull a Lousiest.

• Like 1