What I've been doing during my extended absence...

Goofus Maximus

I've not been playing CS:S for a while, since I've been doing two other things. First, I've been trying to digitize old Polaroid photos in our family scrapbooks from the 1960s, since some of them are fading badly. I wasn't sure I could do anything with some of them, but it's going well so far.

The other thing I've been doing is getting into bicycling again, my cholesterol had gone up earlier this year, and the price of gas went up with it! So I've been killing two birds with one stone, and doing all the local errands with my bike, that I bought new in 1992. However, I'm getting... less young... and those riser handlebars just had to go, and I needed panniers for big grocery hauls, so I've been practically living in front of the Amazon website, looking for just the right cheap good stuff with free shipping. So now I have trekking bars wrapped in cork tape for my bicycle, and a nice M-Wave Double Daytripper pannier set to put on my new better cheapo rear bike rack.

I borrowed an old point-blindly-and-shoot-in-the-general-direction camera, and took some pictures. Having built up enough stamina, I've pedaled my way onto the Great Confluence Trail that runs along the Mississippi, and I have pictures! Here's the link to my skydrive folder. If it's in thumbnail view, switch it to detail view and select the "date modified" to put them in the correct order of viewing!

• Like 2

By the way, did the skydrive slideshow work properly for you? On my browser, some of the pics show up blank, and you have to *left-click -> view original* to see them.

If you plan to bicycle more than just around the neighborhood, I'd advise against those "big box" store bikes like Walmart or Sears, since they use components that are a little too cheap. :) My rusting big box "road" bike is twice as heavy as the hybrid in the pics, and that's with the hybrid loaded down with my toolkit, spare innertubes, water, lock and cable! On a hill, you FEEL that weight in your heart and soul!

(edited)

It was easy for me to find the time; I just started doing all the local errand stuff that I used to do by car, with my bike. When I go to the store at 6:00 am, I practically have the place to myself, and since I'm not wasting gas, I can go every day or so for 2-4 bags, instead of letting the list grow. All that, and I'm bashing my cholesterol back into normal range! :)

Including the grocery trip afterward, that trip to/on the Great Confluence trail took from 5:45am to 8:00am, and was only 15 miles round trip, with half that just getting TO the trail.

Edited by Goofus Maximus

I bet a Texas desert sunrise would be great! :) The real ride spot is the Sam Vadalabene Great River Road trail that takes off through the bluffs along the river, and goes up through Elsah and Grafton IL. Especially during Fall, at the peak of color change.

More annoyingly, my bike fell over while I was cleaning it today, and I had to readjust the derailleurs. Up and down the street in 100 degree temps, with stops to do barrel adjustments, low stop, high stop and b tension adjuster, then slightly rotate the front derailleur and adjust high stop, and do barrel adjustments on it. I literally finished up only an hour ago. Derailleur adjustment is a BLACK ART, I tell you!

• Like 1

I've updated my folder to arrange the pics so that they show in the proper order without fiddling, and I've added pics from my trip today where I went south, toward Hartford, IL, to see the Confluence Tower, using my newly acquired Canon Powershot A590IS. I'm going to love that camera, which allows you to set the camera in just about any way you want, right down to focusing manually. It even has a total manual mode, so that you set it all yourself, just like a metered SLR.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
(edited)

Whee! I've almost crossed the Clark Bridge in Alton, and I've added another bike path to my "I can get to it from here" list. The MCT Watershed trail has it all over the Confluence trail. It's shady, and connects up to the Goshen trail, which connects to just about every trail in Madison County. It's only drawback is that, to get to it by bicycle, I have to haul... bike... up a honking huge hill (Kendall Hill) in my lowest slowest gear setting. Well, it's good excercise, anyhow.

post-1732-0-01574400-1344710787_thumb.jpg

post-1732-0-61615200-1344710849_thumb.jpg

post-1732-0-43020400-1344710894_thumb.jpg

post-1732-0-52768400-1344711284_thumb.jpg

Edit: I missed two!

post-1732-0-80247700-1344727688_thumb.jpg

post-1732-0-26423800-1344727723_thumb.jpg

Edited by Goofus Maximus
  • Like 1

Whee! 18 miles! My personal best! I achieved many milestones on the ride this morning! I crossed the Mighty Mississippi by bicycle, I crossed State lines, I was pedalling no more than two feet away from the flowing water of the Mississippi at one point, and I got to observe a vulture up close and personal!

Missouri welcomes me!

post-1732-0-90723000-1344874321_thumb.jpg

A view back from whence I came.

post-1732-0-73981000-1344874344_thumb.jpg

WHAT!?!? Lincoln was in a DUEL?!?!? with SWORDS!?!?!? Maybe he WAS a vampire slayer...

post-1732-0-54783900-1344874377_thumb.jpg

The Mighty Mississippi from the observation tower of the Bird Sanctuary in West Alton, MO. Not two seconds after I took this photo, a honking huge VULTURE flew in and perched on the guard rail not THREE FEET to the left of me. I could make out the fine details of the skin on his/her bald head. I wish I'd taken a pic instead of saying "Hello!", which made him take off and leave in a huff.

post-1732-0-77743100-1344874408_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

(edited)

My Powershot will do standard def vids, but I'd have to install a handlebar mount, and buy a larger SDHC card. I can't afford one of those superfancy GoPro Hero II cameras that seem so popular...

Ugh. Stitching this composite photo together was a pain in the patootie, but I love the results too much to stop!

post-1732-0-19534200-1344886164_thumb.jpg

Edited by Goofus Maximus
  • Like 2