Video card upgrade?

crasx

Hey

I currently run three monitors (one is a 27", two are 19") and sometimes during a game my graphics card will glitch and a few apps will crash (like l4d2, skype, explorer). The 27 inch and one 19 inch are running on the Raedon 6870 and the other 19 inch is running on a nvidia geforce 9550 (I think, I have no idea). It seems that the 6870 is the one that crashes (maybe because of the 27 inch).

If I get another 6870 can I SLI them and still run three monitors? I have never done sli before so I am kindof a n00b at this. Should I even bother or just live with the crashes?

Other computer specs:

Mother: MSI 870-G45

Ram: 16GB DDR3 1333MHz

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 - 3.40GHz

You can run all three off of the 6870 as it is so long as you're on Windows 7. You will probably need an active Displayport to DVI dongle as your monitors probably don't support DisplayPort. You can run 2x 6870 in CrossFire with 3 monitors as well but even just one should be able to run most games more than decently well across all 3 monitors. Need more information as for the crashes, if it's CCC crashing then it's the 6870. I would pull the 9550, remove the nVidia drivers, install the newest Catalyst drivers, put all 3 monitors on the single card and see what happens.

The Ati is famous for horrible drivers. I know because every ATi card I have used so far no matter what the chipset "motherboard" or CPU it has they would BSOD or other quirks. The 12.6 beta works great though on a 6850 card that my brother has. I also have an old ati 4870 card its only stable with 10.9 drivers.

Yes you will be fine to run 3 monitors still and have crossfire if you decide to stick with ATi.

With ATi that I learned that newer is not always better and if its not broke do not fix it even if the new driver claims a few more FPS.

The actual screen size does not apply to this issue. It will still happen no matter if its a smaller or larger monitor that uses the same resolutions and refresh rates.

The Ati is famous for horrible drivers.

Maybe 8 to 10 years ago. ATI drivers are pretty good now. I would think that your problem is that you are running two different types of video cards at the same time or some other issue. Maybe the video card is over heating. How is the ventilation in your case? Is there good airflow? Maybe your PSU isn't putting out enough power. There are a number of things it could be. It could even be drivers.

• Like 1

GC Alumni

Ahh sorry for the no-reply. I ran in circles trying to find an active dp/dvi. I had a passive one and best buy had no idea what I was asking for (and I was too lazy to trek to micro center).

So long story short I got one online and I'm back at 3 monitors! Thanks for your help.

As far as crashing I think I had one crash while I was running two monitors, not sure why it happened though. I'll keep an eye on it and verify the drivers are removed.

I have a 6870 and have had no issues. I have actually had nothing but bad luck with nVidia, Ati has always been great for me, I am thinking about upgrading to a HD7870ghz, it's $100 less than it's nVidia competition, the GTX580, and performs just as well, even better in some benchmarks.