90's- late 2000's Gaming

TheLaw

Well I was talking to one of my friends yesterday and we somehow got to the topics of classics video games we used to play as kids. Needless to say we spent a few hours talking about this and I even started to rumaage around for my old Game Informer mags from the late 90's thought the 2000's. While on this journey though time this morning/last night I remembered one of my favorites Phantom 2040 for the SNES. I am not sure of how many people have played this game or if anyone here has even heard of it, but here is a sample video of Phantom 2040 for the SNES.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hLKF3DfO1k

I was wondering if there anyone wants to reminisce about all the older games/times they had playing older games from the 90's though the late 2000's.

I just played through Phantasy Star I, II, and IV like 9 months ago for like the 20th time :P

I'd put SimCity 2000, Warcraft II, Populus/Populus II, The Secret of Monkey Island, Monkey Island II, the whole Kings Quest series, TIM: The Incredible Machine, Sid Meiers Pirates(bit more 80s, CGA graphics, w00t), X-com 1/2, the early Wing Commander games, Worms on the Dreamcast, Fallout 1 and 2, Age of Empires(quite possibly the only game I was ever good at ranked in the top 50 on Zone :P). That'd be my top list off the top of my head.

I never had a Sega gowning up so I missed out on Sonic and the Phantasy Star series; as far as SimCity and Warcraft II those games I remember those games all too well.

Great games you missed out on

Dynamite Headdy (hidden gem)

Altered Beast

Golden Axe series

Beyond Oasis

Vectorman

Decap Attack (hidden gem)

X-Men

Shinning Force

Shinning in the Darkness

Splatterhouse series (hidden gem)

Streets of Rage series

Also about the Phanatsy Star games, if you ever play IV you wont play the others since its the most well designed one of them all. Its almost like playing the remastered version of Final Fantasy 1, then going back to play the NES version. Unless you grew up with it, you wont like the old ones.

Protip: in Sonic the Hedgehog 2, you can get all the chaos emeralds in Acts 1 and 2 on Emerald Hill Zone, theres a reason they call it that. Theres enough Goals or w/e to only screw up twice.

When I was a kid, one of my first games was Toe Jam & Earl I think for the Sega Genesis. I played Super Nintendo as well but can't remember the games I enjoyed. Nintendo 64 was where it was at...mostly because I never played by myself. Then I went onto playing Medal of Honor: Allied Assault on the PC, then Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow for the original Xbox, and then onto Battlefield Vietnam for the PC. Now...I don't know what's different...the graphics are amazing these days and all that, but there's not really a game that I'm able to stick to. I'd play the poop out of Medal of Honor any day. poop...Nascar 2005 was the best racing game I've ever played, including Need for Speed Underground 2, but Nascar 2005's servers got shutdown when 2006 came out. I'm planning on getting the new Splinter Cell, but I don't think it'll ever be the same as Pandora Tomorrow or Chaos Theory. Everyone has different opinions, however.

Man I have Ken Griffy Baseball and that was a really good sports game that along with NBA Jam provided hours of friendly two player competition.

Quake and Doom also were very good but I don't know how I forgot about good old Bomber man.

As far as Counter Strike is concerned I was late to that party as I started with CS:S back in January 2010.

N64 was the only console, and super nin- Ken griffy baseball-gaming should not be age limiting just a clear mind and skills to play

Tetris, I was/am a poor kid,

StarCraft, quake, doom, dune(sega), Mario, bomber man, gold miner...

And of cause Counter-Strike v. 1.1>...

Topic title is a little confusing, 90's to late 2000's is pretty much until a few years a go which is definitely what a lot of people would consider "classic" age of video games. But man for me there's too many to count, platformers were and still are one of my favorite types of games. Battle Toads (hardest game ever made), Castlevania, Contra, Metal Slug, Super Mario 3 and Super Mario World.

Also just a quick list of good oldies

- Homeworld

- Half Life

- Warcraft 2

- Starcraft

- Zelda A Link To The Past

- Fallout 1 and 2 (Way better than 3)

- Baulders Gate 1 and 2

- Doom 2

All I can think of for right now, also why the heck did I use bullet points. Am I creating a shopping list? :blink2:

NES, SNES, N64, GameBoy Pocket (I still consider GameBoy Advance to be "new" since it was still around when I was in High School. Anything pre-year 2000 is "classic" to me).

Doom, Doom 2, Wolfenstein, Descent, SimTower, SimCity, Command and Conquer, Megarace, dozens of NES, SNES, and N64 games, Pokemon Red and Blue, Prince of Persia (SNES one was by far the best PoP game ever made)...so many to count.

My Prince of Persia speedrun I recorded probably over 6 years ago. Man, I loved that game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJfzwM5tvII