Retro, CSS, CSGO

Flitterkill

So, within a week of CSGO's launch Retro went from nightly full to a ghost town.

Looks like everyone jumped over to GO almost immediately.

So.

1) Right now the CSGO server name is just Competitive Pub. Can leave that way, choose another name, or give it the Retrocedence name. Chime in please.

2) There is no overriding need to close the CSS Retro. I mean, empty servers don't use much in the way of resources. I believe GC dropped 1.6 in favor of CSS to make a clean break. An option here as well.

3) Server monitors will be updated soon.

Normally I would vote for retiring the Retrocedence name and giving the new server it's own, but given that CS in general has been struggling a bit over the last year or so, i'd say we should keep the identity that we have in place and recycle the name.

If no one is playing CS:S...my vote would be to kill it, cheap or not....no reason to leave it up if everyone is playing GO.

Eh, its still early and CS:GO is the new shiny. People may decide they don't like it, or that they miss CS:S. If its not an issue, I'd say keep the server up for a while just in case.

As for the name, I vote that we give the CS:GO server its own identity.

Shaftiel

Edited by shaftiel

Retro = Retrocedence

Arg = Argenteus

A Pot = Apotropaion.

While I do like 'Talk Like a Pirate' day, I do not want to be playing on the Arrrggg server. And as for A Pot? Bah, a pox on thee.

How about These names for the server?

Aprosexia - "an abnormal inability to pay attention, characterized by a near complete indifference to everything." Sounds appropriate to some people who play lol

Bangstry - "Masterful violence" A few people come to mind

Drawcansir - "A person who kills both friends and foes." Yep, a lot of those on the server :)

Erinaceous - "People with pr1ckly or bristly manners." Peckles

Shaftiel

Edit - darn thing kept changing pr(i)ckly to weeniely lol. My favorite would be 'Floccinaucinihilipilification' if only to see peoples reaction to that name lol. It means 'to establish or state that something has no value'. heh :)

Edited by shaftiel
  • Like 1

A couple of thoughts on this.

I think we should name it Retro + something else. Such as Retro Advanced. Retro should not be so easily replaced but the name should still live on.

I am against the idea of restricted any guns on CS:GO. I haven't had the time lately to jump in and play like I want but one of the reasons I stop playing Source is because of the restrictions of auto snipers and awp. I think if there is a demand to restrict those guns that we turn the old Retro Source server into a scopeless on top of the normal everything server.