GC Fall 2012 Community Update

Flitterkill

Community Update - Fall 2012

Well here we are, well into a decade of GC-like community substance though technically it will be an official GC ten years in December of 2013. If you fold in the before-time though... Yeah. A long time for this joint.

A *LOT* of drama lately. Been there, done that. It ebbs and flows. Feel free and search back through the years. Plenty. The board took a more active role in trying to tamp it down earlier this year but there comes a point where exhaustion and the need for the community itself to take ownership and "deal" comes into play. I can't officially speak for the board on this but I'm pretty sure we hit that point this last month or so. We're still here, watching, reading. There are still some problems and personal issues that need resolving I think but by and large the community as it has always done, pushes things in the direction they need to go.

Ebil? Not around much you say? She's graduamatated and hanging in the NE helping relatives at their restaurant. That means night hours. So she's been away for a bit.

CS:GO pretty much destroyed CSS Retro. It can/will "stay" though all the action is on our GO server right now. Also the GO server needs a name. Does it have one yet? I might be out of the loop. We'll get the forums cleaned up to reflect that. The name part, and the GO stuff. Pretty sure everyone knows about me and the loop.

Is FragFest happening? Yes(?) but we'll need a date *THIS WEEK*. Would multiple exclamation points help? First weekend after the 4th of July 2013 or the second weekend after. Gotta make a call on this. Gotta get a place reserved. We will need volunteers to shepard this to life. No joke. Event planning is serious business. Also sponsor wrangling and a whole lot of other stuff. You be working on this starting no later than November. Be careful what you sign up for.

What else? Hmmm...

About time to do a serious purge of the contributing member and admin hordes. Not kicking anyone out per se, just reconciling dues. Since we flipped over to the semi-automated storefront we haven't done a reconcilliation of the dues-paying members. Gonna be a *LOT* of people who are due again. Once you buy in through the storefront the reminders of your membership expiration are automatic - as is your demotion in the forums. Not so right now.

Fair warning provided - at least to those of you reading this.

Hmmm... the board. Myself, Mookie, JC, Clueless, Ebil (working hiatus), Stutters (kinda), San. We may need to get some new blood added to the mix to keep us (and myself) on our toes. I don't have a problem delegating stuff that needs to get done; I just often times drive right past the point where I need to have delegated something. Juggle too much and nothing gets done. At least for my part. I doubt the rest of the board would mind a new voice or two. We'll see...

Yes, juggling... And delegation. Let's talk about me for a minute.

How's that Spring 2012 Membership drive going? I have prizes here. And NewEgg giftcards.

From Spring.

A month behind the Fall 2012 drive...

Tee shirts? Pints? I have a Hundred Bucks Box to send out once the garments are produced...

The taunting March 2012 stats (fyi - I only threw that up on the board index to balance the graphic on the left... which has been there for awhile now...)

My apologies. Really - this is unacceptable. Time to get some help. I'll be asking.

What else...

L4D2 #2.

It was a go, we started to clear server headroom, then more drama erupted. Still a go? I think so. Ask us, maybe? Is that a dead meme yet? A Proclaimers for the youth of today?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbNlMtqrYS0

Man I hated that song... Or that bee song by that hippie grunge guy who OD'd. Meh.

GC Fantasy Football. I'm losing. Badly.

Not sure what else. I'll let the board kick in from here.

10 years.

Neat.

• Like 3

I'm not worth of the board/also haven't been here long enough but if there is anything I can help out with please let me know. No FFO support from me this year probably, still planning a wedding for the same time of the year in 2013... that's enough event planning for me.

Agreed with Nightling, loved the update post.

10 years? Wow. just wow. How time flies, eh?

I have drifted in and out of this place over the years due to college, Army, college, army - deployed, etc....but I know that it will remain, and thus it keeps me coming back. I am planning on building a mean gaming machine once I am back, so expect to hear my lovely voice once more. Thanks for the update, FK.

• 2 weeks later...

Things are going well, we have a pretty insane amount of new contributions from players on the L4D2 server--I really hope some of them try out the CS:GO server and have fun there as well!

*drama*drama*dramalamadingdong*

I'm just excited for my pint glasses now :prplwacko:

Things are going well, we have a pretty insane amount of new contributions from players on the L4D2 server--I really hope some of them try out the CS:GO server and have fun there as well!

*drama*drama*dramalamadingdong*

I'm just excited for my pint glasses now :prplwacko:

Need a pint myself after all the recent drama.