Windows 8

ZeroDamage

I've had a pre-release copy on our ESX box at work for the last 6 months that we've all dinked around with, haven't tried any sort of gaming on it obviously tho.

It does have a new version of DirectX(11.1) along with a new version of WDDM(1.2) but I don't believe any games are out to utilize that yet.

Can't imagine you'd have trouble with games as Windows 8 internally isn't that much different than Windows 7, maybe some older stuff or games that relied on Live. I'd imagine you'd see the same performance in games, or a bit lower performance due to the bloat known as Metro.

Performance is same as 7 so far. Maybe a little better, but not really noticable. The real change is the UI and its total crap. You cannot even close apps, you have to open another app, go back to the start screen, or hit alt+F4. They made a tablet OS for a PC and that really doesn't work without a touch device. I have it here on my Test PC and I'm not feelin the GUI.

• Like 1

Everything that i've read suggests that you needn't bother upgrading if you are running Windows 7...unless of course you just have to have the shiny new Metro UI, which i'm up in the air about. I am getting a copy for my laptop tho since it's still running Vista...so I guess i'll soon find out.

... You cannot even close apps, you have to open another app, go back to the start screen, or hit alt+F4. They made a tablet OS for a PC and that really doesn't work without a touch device. I have it here on my Test PC and I'm not feelin the GUI.

Swipe from the top of the screen all the way to the bottom, with either your finger or the mouse, to close a running app in the (previously known as Metro) GUI. If you're using the mouse, left click-hold when you swipe. Edited by Baloosh

lou, the RT version is supposed to start at $499. It runs Windows 8 RT with an ARM CPU - it won't run x86/x64 software and only applications out of the Microsoft store will be allowed. The Surface Pro is gonna be something like $1,200 and won't launch for another 3 months and it's just a straight up PC in the same format, running Windows 8.

if the lowest end surface is priced at apple's newest ipad, i dont' see a reason for anyone to go for any of the higher end surface models

New $499 iPad is 16gb. $499 Microsoft Surface is 32gb (includes cover). A 32gb iPad is $599. So it is theoretically cheaper than an iPad.

if the lowest end surface is priced at apple's newest ipad, i dont' see a reason for anyone to go for any of the higher end surface models

Because the Surface Pro is a just a PC - it can run the same software as your desktop PC, the non-Pro Surface can't.

I wasn't aware of DX11.1 :o

Wouldn't a service pack update allow Windows 7 to get it though like how Vista got 10.1 or is that not possible?

Maybe, but from what I gathered the new features use the new WDDM 1.2, so maybe not.

Dropping in to say I really doubt the Surface Pro will be as expensive as some are thinking at the moment. I wouldn't be surprised by $899-$999. Yeah, it's not a lot less but it is less. I'm planning on getting one - it can replace 95% of the functionality of my laptop while being a fraction of the size. The 5% is the occasional light gaming - I'm not sure that Surface will be able to match this for gaming, even though it isn't a beast by any stretch (Core i7, GTS 425M).

Also, for those that are throwing the iPad thing around: Surface Pro is NOT a competitor to iPad, and I will also say Surface RT offers more capability for productivity than iPad at a similar cost. I DO wish that the $499 Surface RT came with the touch cover keyboard, seeing as how they are marketing it as a package.

• 2 weeks later...

I just finally installed my new SSD and Windows 8 on my laptop last night. It's definitely different, not necessarily a bad thing, but there is some learning to do. Even though you can always go to your desktop for a more familiar look, the interaction with apps and stuff is still quite a bit different. I haven't made up my mind yet as to whether or not I am a fan of having a smartphone-like app environment on my PC, but so far it's a bit better than I expected.

• Like 1

Windows 8 vs 7 Gaming review

Only four games, still better than nothing. Those on AMD Bulldozer/Piledriver CPUs should certainly upgrade but that isn't much of a surprise since the Windows 8 scheduler is aware of their organization and cache hierarchy. Frames are about the same, but Windows 8 certainly seems to have less stuttering issues dependent on whether it's nVidia or AMD video.