Possible new maps?

Fenix

Hey I was curious to see if Jackie might be interested in putting in a couple new maps, or if it is even possible? Not every map in L4D2 is being played on this server, and I"m betting some of us are tired of seeing the same maps played over and over again. I'm wondering if you would be willing to at some point add in a new map (like Death Sentence) or put in other maps like Swamp Fever or Dead Line 2? This isn't a rant, just a suggestion to mix it up a bit. Anyone else think this might be a good idea?

-Fenix

The good news is the bugs making swamp fever unplayable weren't really swamp fever bugs. It was an engine bug that Kerry was kind enough to fix once the root of the problem had been discovered, so that campaign can be safely added back into the rotation. The problem with custom campaigns is it is still too much of a hassle to have players go download them. 99.99% of them aren't going to bother, so it's unlikely you'll see custom campaigns added until valve allows people to download them directly in the game. Hopefully steamworks will allow this, but it's still not likely since a lot of custom campaigns (such as absolute zero) can be close to 1gb to download.

Good point Sky, I never thought about the fact that all the players would have to download the map first...although I believe Dead Line 2 is part of the main list of L4D2 mission files. I personally have never played it, but thought it would be fun to learn.

Yeah, Valve just did a bad job implementing custom content into this game, which I really never understood considering they owe their fortune to mods and custom maps that made their first game so popular. The campaigns are too big to download in one shot while connecting to a server, and it would cause too much of a delay at round start to have everyone download each map on the level change. What would be awesome, but its more a dream than anything, is if they implemented something with the workshop that would allow you to choose to download the first map of a campaign and let you start playing and continue to download the rest as you played through it.

Wouldn't work like that. The workshop integration for L4D2 for campaigns would be that, not individual maps. They would most likely be in VPK format meaning that everything is all in one big file so you wouldn't be able to play one map while downloading the next one in the campaign. You would have to download the entire thing at once.

Right it's definitely not setup in its current state to support what i said before, and I seriously doubt Valve is about to put any kind of considerable effort into L4D2 at this point aside from adding the workshop. I'm sure it could be done if they were willing to do it, maybe L4D3 will have a better setup for custom content =).

TF2 lasted quite a long time on mods, and Valve still updates the game with new themes (Halloween) and different types of battles. I'm guessing they may not be done with L4D2....and if they are, that just means a L4D3 is coming out soon....but we all know Valve has a superstition about 2nd Sequels.

No, Chet has already said that Left 4 Dead 3 is not being developed at this time. He said that it is a possibility that it may happen, some day --- a possibility, because they don't want to say yes or no. Valve has 1 person in the office actively working on Left 4 Dead 2 as far as I know, and even if they are done with Left 4 Dead 2, it doesn't mean that they've moved on to a third instalment, it just means they're not profiting enough off of the game at this time (as it is several years old) or they have newer projects on their plate which are higher up on the priority list. Valve doesn't like trilogies, because trilogies typically end a games cycle; they prefer players to create their own ending - or no ending, and just keep going.

• Like 1