Steam Greenlight City

ValenAlvern

So has anyone been using Steam Greenlight? what 5 games already on Steam from it. Also anyone remember when it launched? There was so many inappropriate games, there was also people putting up games they didnt own, so there was duplicates, dont know if you dont have to own it (it would make sense if you actually owned the game and presenting it to Greenlight). Also I am seeing lots of poorly made games.

Now when I mean poorly made, im talking "well I tried my best". When you've done your best, you dont put the first version up for EVERYONE to see, you modify it till you think its good, while showing it to your friends and family first. There are SOME people using.. dont know the right words, but the pre-made stuff. Say I saw this guy basically using tile sets found in RPGMaker VX. There was a Might and Magic rip-off game that was on there and got taken down. That kind of poorly made, games that lack the creators soul. Take Cave Story, made by one guy and it plays well and looks good.

EDIT: Also...so many Minecraft-like games. Its like Legos and Mega Blocks.

Edited by ValenAlvern

Cat, Black Mesa is an identical remake of the original Half-Life, ported to the Source engine. If you never played Half-Life(possibly the best single player game ever made) I'd highly suggest playing it through. Also Steam's Green Light is just a place for indie developers to get their games/applications listed on Steam's library based on user votes. It's also been a failure full of fraud and offensive content with 95% of it worthless.

Greenlight is steams way of letting gamers decide which games they want published essentially. I don't think there are any kind of requirements, so that's why you may see a bunch of sub par indie games made by first year programming students. People can also add mods to be greenlit, meaning steam will have a store page and allow people to download it directly through steam. I highly suggest that everyone look up Neotokyo and greenlight it, great HL2 mod.

Cat, Black Mesa is an identical remake of the original Half-Life, ported to the Source engine. If you never played Half-Life(possibly the best single player game ever made) I'd highly suggest playing it through. Also Steam's Green Light is just a place for indie developers to get their games/applications listed on Steam's library based on user votes. It's also been a failure full of fraud and offensive content with 95% of it worthless.

You, Sir, deserve a cookie, but wait,.. no you don't. :)

I read it and agree. I don't wanna say i'm 100% right. Just think why would steam do something like this - please, read my comment above. They are here to make money.

I played HL and BM and all valve games.

Edited by walkingCat

• 2 months later...
(edited)

So its been a few months since Greenlight has been released. It has come along a great deal, obviously ripped games getting the axe, games people dont own the rights too getting removed. So what games have you seen on greenlight that hasnt been officially Greenlight yet?

Here are some I found intresting.

Not Greenlight:

Project: Zomboid: A true zombie survival game. No cure, survive as long as you can.

Tiny Barbarian DX: An Action Platformer, was previously a free game here, but went on to become a full "retail" game after being pushed through Kickstarter.

Hammerwatch: A game that looks like its inspired by Gauntlet, as if I need another reason to favorite it.

Greenlight (Not Released):

Secrets of Grindea: A Game inspired by classic RPGs like Secret of Mana and Zelda.

Unepic: A Side scrolling Action RPG that takes influences from DnD.

La-Maluna: Indian Jones inspired 8-bit/16bit inspired game thats heavy influenced with Metroidvania games.

Gear Up!: Futuristic Tank Battle Arena.

Greenlight (Released):

Primordia: A classic point and click adventure game that takes place in a post-apocalyptic world in the future were humans no longer exist.

I voted Yes on like 45 games and favorited 13 of them I think, I aint putting them all on here. Anyone find games they would like to share?

Edited by ValenAlvern

• 2 weeks later...

Towns is a pretty fun game, I've been with them since 0.3? People complain a lot about it, because they expect it to have the depth of say Dwarf Fortress while being easy to pickup. It's a fun game though, learning curve is pretty easy and it doesn't require too much thought or concentration to play.