Let's stop being unhealthy

TheChief

No

EDIT: Though in all seriousness I've been trying to go the fitness center in my apartment complex... Im at the visualization step for the past month.

You'll have to have a major discipline for that, because you can get easily disrupted by anything. Also, some people who are exercising at home, mostly quit later.

• 2 weeks later...

You're giving yourself an uphill battle if you don't change your diet first. Diet should be the very first thing you change. Eat mainly complex carbs, protein and fiber. Keep sugars to a minimum and definitely no soda.

I got to 190 and now I'm around 174 with little exercise but strict diet change. Even that little of a change makes a big difference. My goal is to get to around 165 but I've been slacking.

You're giving yourself an uphill battle if you don't change your diet first. Diet should be the very first thing you change. Eat mainly complex carbs, protein and fiber. Keep sugars to a minimum and definitely no soda.

I got to 190 and now I'm around 174 with little exercise but strict diet change. Even that little of a change makes a big difference. My goal is to get to around 165 but I've been slacking.

What's your height, Tonerrr?

It's winter time here, the season to get fat. When summer comes I'll start riding my bikes again and drop 30lbs just like every year :)

I have it backwards....I lose weight each year during the season that we wear clothes, and gain it back during the season that we don't. I gotta get this stuff switched!

Considering a membership to the wellness center as a gift to myself and the girls this year.

I'm 5'9" was never skinny but never really that badly overweight. Once I hit 190 though I knew it was time to change it up. Eating out all the time is a helluva drug.

A photo of me last March (gray shirt) now I'm a bit more lean:

post-4157-0-61843400-1355190119_thumb.jpg

And a photo this past Halloween of my buddy making me look like a kid ha! This is what happens if you really commit:

post-4157-0-08119400-1355190845.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Recently i've decided that my lifestyle (with respect to eating and exercise) is sub-par. I was never one to go to the gym even though I did go to a personal trainer for a while and do workout sessions. I did diet also in the past with small results but it was also an unhealthy approach. So I decided to try and change my habbits slowy so that I can adjust instead of going cold turkey.

I gave up drinking carbonated drinks (coke, pepsi etc and the rest) and it's been over 3 month since i've had one. I have no urge to drink one and i'll even go out of my way to find something else to drink. I'm slowly trying to cut down on juices and drinking more water.

My next step is to phase out late night eating. Switching shifts at work every two weeks between days and afternoons can mess with your system and you find yourself eating at all hours. I'm trying to stop that and hopefully I can get that under control.

As for the exercise, as mentioned i'm not one for the gym so instead i've taken up sports which has always been a passion of mine. I started playing recreational soccer twice a week, sometimes 3 times a week. Though my stamina isn't the best right now, i'm hoping it will improve over time.

• 2 weeks later...

I never noticed this part of the forum before! When I was younger, I played basketball 2 or 3 times a week, and stayed in great shape. When my son was born, it was tough to spend the time playing basketball, so I gave it up, and quickly got out of shape. A few years ago, a friend started running, and I decided to do it too. At first I could barely run a quarter mile without getting really tired out, (i am in my 40's now, not as easy to get back in shape as when i was young!). I stuck with it, just increased my distances a little at a time. I started doing 5k races, then longer ones, half marathons, then "mud runs" like the tough mudder. This past weekend I did my first full marathon. I trained for months. It took me over 4 hours to finish, and was painful, but I did it. If you want to get in shape, my advice...have a plan, start slow, never give up. It helps to have other people doing it with you. Now stop reading this on the computer and get outside and start running!

• Like 1

If you enjoyed doing a marathon, then I'd recommend giving triathlons a try. In my experience, tris are much more enjoyable than marathons because they just *feel* more like a race throughout the entire event and the different legs make it much more engaging. To each their own and all that, I know not everyone will love tris like I do, but I think you should give one a try and let us know how it goes.

Edited by Leonebluen

• 5 weeks later...

Good luck! I'm gonna relive my gym membership next week. As always, I gained extra pounds during winter. Must burn them! :)

Stop taking the El, bike everywhere instead. Trust me it works wonders. I also rock climb a lot, and that's a great full body workout, though it's more for toning then for weight loss.

• 1 year later...

Good luck! I'm gonna relive my gym membership next week. As always, I gained extra pounds during winter. Must burn them! :)

I personally hate gyms.  The only ones I liked were during college - we had co-ed volleyball in the rec room.  That was a lot of fun.  I really only like exercise that feels more like playing or exploring, ya know what I mean?

Welp, anyway, after finally getting a smart phone, I started using the app MyFitnessPal for calorie counting and exercise tracking.  My goal is to get to 125-130 pounds (last seen when I was in my early 20s).  My desk job has done me no favors.  I have about 15-20lbs to lose.  Actually, it's less about losing weight as being able to climb stairs without getting winded.  Endurance and strength, I guess.  Is the app helping?  Well, it’s really made me more self-aware of what I’m eating.  I just want to be healthier, stronger, feel more energetic and stabilize my moods.  I have crazy genes in the family. :D  My favorite activities are bike riding and visiting parks to hike and walk, but when the weather is bad, it’s really hard to motivate myself to exercise indoors.  I just LOVE trees and rivers and not seeing cars and buildings, and so being on a treadmill is torture!  I need an exercise buddy – it’s hard because my husband is on his feet all day (he has a pretty active job – total opposite of mine), so when we’re both home he just wants to relax, so I’d have to go to the park alone L.  I don’t mind walking alone – personality wise, I’m pretty introverted – so it’s mainly a safety issue.  I’m afraid I’d get jumped.  Maybe I should just get a dog? :D

Edited by Girlzilla