Feedback on Website

akaM2

Ok, so my Dad is into photography more than I ever thought he would be, seeing how good he is I decided to make a portfolio for him for Christmas.

http://www.tjmpix.com

I would appreciate anyone to take a look at this and let me know what you think, good or bad I would rather have the feedback.

**site descriptions are completely off. I just added photos for filler. I will change the category names once i finalize the site and organize the photos as I have 300+ and only loaded 25 pics.******

Some main things that I will be working on no matter what

• Improving the shamrock logo to be a bit ghosted and have TJM in it somehow, it was a quick import just to have one.
  • As it stands right now, there is not any description for the photos so I would like to add that so he can say where or how he took the photo.
  • Main thing is finding a template or a way that I can post his photos without someone just right clicking and saving it for themselves, I know he might not be that good but he has been published in local newspapers and contacted by businesses to have his photos be released just from flickr so we might as well protect it right away http://www.flickr.co...s/malaneystuff/
  • Just to add this isnt my creation, just a template changed to my style. So if you have one you think is better feel free to post it.

Oh, btw this is all with a point and shoot. We are getting him a DSLR this xmas as well.

Edited by akaM2
  • Like 1

i like it :)

noticed that the next photo does not show up by default. only when i go to the next photo, then click prev, does the next photo appear (albeit greyed out). would always loading the next photo make the experience more consistent?

this one is debatable: when i move between photos, you grey out the previous photo and bring the current photo into view. that greying out process is instantaneous currently. not sure if adding a fade in/out effect makes the transition smoother. then again, the current effect also gives more prominence to the current photo when you scroll

love the stretch effect when i move from "contact" back to "my view". if i may make a small suggestion, is there a way to hide the scroll bar on the "about" page whenever i go from "about" to "my view"?

digging the minimalistic design. lends more focus to the photos. arrow keys support is a very nice touch. coupled with the photos asymmetric widths, it makes for a pretty mosaic effect when i use the arrow keys :D

Edited by lousiest

Looks solid to me. WP. Responsive skin. Commenting off, admin hidden, so good for security.

As for protecting the images are there any watermarking plugins for WP? I'd look at that. Killing right-click save as only does so much...

Thumbs up.

http://www.tjmpix.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/2.7-1099x1200.jpg

^like he said, killing right click isn't really doing much, you can do a batch operation on all the photos in PS and slap a watermark on there if you really want to be safe but then you have the problem of not making the watermark too noticeable/not making it easy to just Photoshop out of the picture.

Don't forget, the noobs will think they're clever and screen shot the actual screen, or if they were knowledgeable, they would just "save the webpage", check their cache, or view the source. Try it for yourself, at least in chrome, hit "ctrl+s" to save the page. Just leave it as the default "webpage complete" or whatever it says, then view the webpage folder in where you saved it. All resources (images) neatly kept in one folder.

http://www.tjmpix.com/wp-login.php I'm not sure what you mean by having admin hidden, you mean like a login link? If someone didn't just know the default directory or PHP file then how would they know what to do with the login page anyway?

All in all I think the site looks great. I would work on the pre-load function of the surrounding pictures and trigger the fade like mentioned previously. May be cool to bring up a thumbnail view as well. Great Job!

Edited by tonerrrr