GC as a possible thesis subject

TheDude

So at the moment i have to begin negotiating with my professors over a subject for my final dissertation.

I'm studying law and i approached my law psychology professor with the following proposal:

Every law system is in many ways a natural reaction set up by people who want to make rules and enforce them. In every possible scenario, the same core characteristics can be found in a community that sets up a system to enforce the rules they create.

I would make a study about this, in which my prime example and subject of study would be... GC! :biggrinjester:

GC is a community which is hold together by a set of rules (of course i know there's waaaaaaay more to GC than just rules, a community makes rules, rules don't make a community). These rules are also enforced (by the admins and also other members), and there's even a 'court of appeal' (the banned forums).

There's discussions including: should members be allowed a less strict treatment or the other way around? (please don't answer this question in this post, it's just an example, i'm not trying to incite a discussion). Are the enforcers (admins) above the rules? (no), but what happens if they do slip up? etc.

There's about a 25% chance of me being allowed to make this my subject, as there are other interesting subjects and the fact that this is a very unexplored subject as of yet. (at least in Belgium)

the best thing about it? My resource study for my dissertation would actually include hanging around these forums and playing games with you guys :dork:

Really hope they allow me to do it :P

The Dude

Edited by TheDude
  • Like 1

Update: A student from a neighboring college here in Belgium made his thesis about proprietary law in World of Warcraft and Second Life :biggrinjester:

My professor proprietary law was in the jury and kept talking about WoW (only he pronounced it WaaaaaauuuuuuW)

I'm going to somehow bring a painball gun to FF and shoot you in the neck.

someone is gonna kick you in the nuts at FF2013....that's painball

I will bring my paintball gun for you Jackie, it would make my day to see him shot in the neck with it.

• 3 weeks later...

So at the moment i have to begin negotiating with my professors over a subject for my final dissertation.

I'm studying law and i approached my law psychology professor with the following proposal:

Every law system is in many ways a natural reaction set up by people who want to make rules and enforce them. In every possible scenario, the same core characteristics can be found in a community that sets up a system to enforce the rules they create.

I would make a study about this, in which my prime example and subject of study would be... GC! :biggrinjester:

GC is a community which is hold together by a set of rules (of course i know there's waaaaaaay more to GC than just rules, a community makes rules, rules don't make a community). These rules are also enforced (by the admins and also other members), and there's even a 'court of appeal' (the banned forums).

There's discussions including: should members be allowed a less strict treatment or the other way around? (please don't answer this question in this post, it's just an example, i'm not trying to incite a discussion). Are the enforcers (admins) above the rules? (no), but what happens if they do slip up? etc.

There's about a 25% chance of me being allowed to make this my subject, as there are other interesting subjects and the fact that this is a very unexplored subject as of yet. (at least in Belgium)

the best thing about it? My resource study for my dissertation would actually include hanging around these forums and playing games with you guys :dork:

Really hope they allow me to do it :P

The Dude0

you must post it and share it here