Lost space on my SSD

walkingCat

Hi!

I have SSD for 120 GB, I just re-installed windows 7 x64, hard drive shows 75 GB free of 119 GB, all data takes 15.9 GB + shadow storage with 5.9 GB (which is a lot). Question: where is the rest? There is nearly 20 GB is missing.

I can't find location with old windows and files. There is information on the internet, but I'm tired of reading too much outdated stuff. I've installed CCleaner, but I don't know how to use it properly. Help!

I only think of Win 7 built-in backup. It's a win7 program which ensure himself some of SSD capacity for his backup, in your case, your 10 to 20 gb. And also, as I know, the actual 120 gb ssd is always less than 120 gb (power of 2).

*burp*

(sorry, couldn't resist)

Please explain yourself, Jackie. 0_0

I only think of Win 7 built-in backup. It's a win7 program which ensure himself some of SSD capacity for his backup, in your case, your 10 to 20 gb. And also, as I know, the actual 120 gb ssd is always less than 120 gb (power of 2).

I think I mentioned all.

You re-installed Windows without formatting the SSD? If you did that it would have saved the old windows folder as "windows.old". You should use the vendor tools to format the SSD to start with, you can use this to identify what is taking up the space. System Restore shouldn't be using any space on a fresh install, you can always check under control panel -> System -> System Protection.

(edited)

You re-installed Windows without formatting the SSD? If you did that it would have saved the old windows folder as "windows.old". You should use the vendor tools to format the SSD to start with, you can use this to identify what is taking up the space. System Restore shouldn't be using any space on a fresh install, you can always check under control panel -> System -> System Protection.

I searched for windows.old and there is nothing.

I formatted disc before fresh install, i think i did. :)

Here is result of space scan:

post-4213-0-54325200-1357355044_thumb.png

I hiberfil.sys is too big (apparently I did something wrong). Also I turned off page filing, hoping it won't cause any bigger problems.

Edited by walkingCat

It actually seems "fine"; at least nothing is missing.

I count well north of 90 gigs just between listed free, page and hiber, and a few of the starcraft directories. That is ignoring Steam and whatever is installed there, all of Windows, and any/all user directories.

You can adjust both the swap (page) and the hibernation files easily enough. I'd say you're gtg.

If you are well north of 8 gigs for ram feel free to set the size of the page file manually (maybe 8 gig?). But don't turn off page filing. If you have a bunch of stuff open but not enough memory, that's what page filing is there for. Windows normally handles it as needed, increasing or decreasing the pagefile size.

Hibernation is something you can completely disable. If this is a desktop I'd say turn it off. My desktop is either on or it's off - I only do the hibernation thing on laptops (close lid, hibernates).