Meet your FFO core game server...

Flitterkill

allanon: It's a bit older but I'd say it goes to 13. It had two Penryn based quad core Xeons with a happy combined 24M of L2 cache.

boiler: If you wanna donate a video card(s) then yes, as the 32M ATI video probably won't do it. Also I still rock a Philips 201P 21" CRT running at 2048x1538x100Hz. Love my old monitor.

voodoo: It actually came with a SCSI U320 PCIe 8x HBA, probably for a tape drive at one time, probably pull it and put it in my junk drawer.

sutters: Standard feature on this generation so if you're running KVMless and iLO for some reason breaks you can just plugin up front without having to pull the server out on it's rails.

tomatoes: I would love to donate like a DL360e Gen8 but a loaded out one at cost is still easily pushing 4k. I got this from a local recycler that buys out all the equipment from the local datacenters and it was (very) cheap.

The old beast should happily run multiple game servers, and it is about as reliable as you can get. Right now it has the P400 SAS RAID controller with 512M of BBWC and a couple of 10k 146G drives. I gotta dig through inventory at work and see if we have matched four matched 15k drives for a RAID 10 or perhaps a RAID 5 depending on what I can scrounge up. Depending on what I can find laying around for RAM for it I'd like to see 8 4G DIMMs either configured as 32G or as 24G with two hot-spares for each bank, we'll see what I can find laying around as I rather not order RAM for as it's expensive. If someone wants to donate 8 8G DDR2-667 buffered ECC HP spec'ed DIMMs go for it :P It has a single 800W hot-swap power supply in it, depending on what the local guy has/online prices I might throw in a second one right away. It also sports two 1000Base ethernet controllers with transmit/receive offload, TSO offload, Link aggregation and fail over, jumbo frames, an iLO2 basic license, and N+1 redundant fans. Like all HP servers besides the newer UEFI ones it does it's 'fan curve update' on boot up and it'll suck a small mammal through the front of it and sounds like an Airbus A380.

Edited by amertrash
  • Like 1

allanon: It's a bit older but I'd say it goes to 13. It had two Penryn based quad core Xeons with a happy combined 24M of L2 cache.

boiler: If you wanna donate a video card(s) then yes, as the 32M ATI video probably won't do it. Also I still rock a Philips 201P 21" CRT running at 2048x1538x100Hz. Love my old monitor.

voodoo: It actually came with a SCSI U320 PCIe 8x HBA, probably for a tape drive at one time, probably pull it and put it in my junk drawer.

sutters: Standard feature on this generation so if you're running KVMless and iLO for some reason breaks you can just plugin up front without having to pull the server out on it's rails.

tomatoes: I would love to donate like a DL360e Gen8 but a loaded out one at cost is still easily pushing 4k. I got this from a local recycler that buys out all the equipment from the local datacenters and it was (very) cheap.

The old beast should happily run multiple game servers, and it is about as reliable as you can get. Right now it has the P400 SAS RAID controller with 512M of BBWC and a couple of 10k 146G drives. I gotta dig through inventory at work and see if we have matched four matched 15k drives for a RAID 10 or perhaps a RAID 5 depending on what I can scrounge up. Depending on what I can find laying around for RAM for it I'd like to see 8 4G DIMMs either configured as 32G or as 24G with two hot-spares for each bank, we'll see what I can find laying around as I rather not order RAM for as it's expensive. If someone wants to donate 8 8G DDR2-667 buffered ECC HP spec'ed DIMMs go for it :P It has a single 800W hot-swap power supply in it, depending on what the local guy has/online prices I might throw in a second one right away. It also sports two 1000Base ethernet controllers with transmit/receive offload, TSO offload, Link aggregation and fail over, jumbo frames, an iLO2 basic license, and N+1 redundant fans. Like all HP servers besides the newer UEFI ones it does it's 'fan curve update' on boot up and it'll suck a small mammal through the front of it and sounds like an Airbus A380.

DEBrO.gif

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

nice vga port, noobs.

Dude, you know FK will be rocking the 21" CRT with this thing at frag fest. You know, 'cause these new-fangled LCD monitors lag and ghost hella bad.

Compaq-crt-monitor.jpg

Nope that'll be me. :) Barring an unexpected upgrade to flat panel, Bear^ 's old beast of a monitor will be making its glorious return. :)