Black Wolf Hall

Flitterkill

Sounds rather metal yes?

Pool tables, Foosball, Air Hockey, Pinball, Bar, Kitchen, 6000+ square feet, adequate power (apparently), 60-ish parking spaces, 24 hours access, zero restrictions on food or drink.

Economy Inn is three-ish miles down the road; straight drive. $69/night (hotels.com quote); other options not too far away either.

Stow, OH. 8 miles away from Fatty's house actually.

https://maps.google....c=A&gl=US&hl=en

Photos courtesy of Fatty.

bwh-1.jpg

bwh-2.jpg

I don't really care how far hotel from this place, because this place looks SO AWESOME!

However I have a question: Will they allow us to have a our own LAN party? I mean safety conditions, cables and such. Utility bills will jump up for them. On the other hand, we will probably make for them their yearly profit in 2 days.

372 from my house, not bad.

Edited by walkingCat

GC Board Member

Clue - give Fatty a yell, he's hanging with Mini now. Both of them say "yes" but you are the second to bring up that point. I can't quite get around the idea that secretly GC members are all uncontrollable drunks.

The cost matches what Akron and Clarion offered with the advantage of almost twice the space, the pool tables, foos, etc., kitchen, bar, and no restrictions on any food or drink at any time.

Seriously Clue - give them a yell, post up here after you talk.

@Walking: No problems at all, already quoted a price to us knowing it is a LAN party. Cables get taped, covered, no worries.

Spoke to Fatty, and it does sound like a great venue, would make the actual event alot more fun. I think we should try to answer some questions first, just for the sake of safety.

1. Should we entertain the idea of voluntary dedicated drivers from our non drinking crowd? Or would that be too much of a burden and take away from their fun?

2. Do we have the budget to hire a dedicated shuttle driver for the event, someone that's all business and not there trying to have fun, toss them a few hundred bucks, feed em, supply non alcoholic beverages? ( this has my vote)

3. Do we need to have something legal written up in the form of a waiver to cover our arses?

I am warming up to the idea given the possibilities for an awesome time, i'm just thinking that we need to be smart about it, and try to make it as safe as possible.

GC Board Member
Btw...are you coming Fk?

When I started to kickstart this thing back up i'd say it was 50/50, which was a lot more than it had been in the past years. Now, call it 70%, and probably rising.

We could budget that in but with at least 60 people there (better be at least 60...) I'm more than sure we'll have sober people around at all times willing to give lifts.

We could also keep a cab service on call and pay them as needed. Also, people will be drafted for food runs and such anyways. GC is good people, they're always be someone in shape and able to help as needed.

This kind of space, we've got room for whoever wants to come, north of 100 easily. Which would be pretty amazing. Half the ballroom at Clarion, with our power needs, 70 might be pushing it. Although, honestly, power is gonna be different after all these years I imagine. CRT's giving way to LCDs (backlit by LCDs in some cases), laptops over desktops. Granted, some beastly video cards out now as far as wattage goes. Might go around with a kill-a-watt and do some sampling of what shows up and see what is actually needed.

And yes, I started months ago on the waiver. These are standard (I'd hope FFO used these in the past, thought I saw some in the archives..). Ironclad, absolving everyone and everything involved. No way in hell any staff or venue or GC or Board Members or what have you get into legal jeopardy over this event. I've read waivers put out by other LAN get togethers. They could murder you and you would be required to thank them.

Pool, foosball, pinball, and air hockey tournaments just became possible. And poker. And the LAN. Dear god...

Fatty had me call him after he finished talking to you. He said its the place we should have been at all along. That's a pretty strong endorsement.

True story. My dad and brother got tagged. Hard. Drunk driver. Uninsured. Rural northern Wisconsin. 11pm. Winter. Cold. Saturday night. The thing about rural midwest, as desolate as it can be, sometimes, after miles of nothing, some intersections actually have a house at the crossroads. Made all the difference.

We can make this work.

The hotel is what, 3 miles down the road you said?

Yeah, if you guys can't walk 3 miles down the road in July, sober or not, you have bigger problems than getting a ride to your bed.

Start hitting the gym and we can drunk-walk it! :P:p

Well, sounds like we have all the needed bases covered, let's do it. As for food runs, what's the deal with the kitchen? Can that be used to our advantage? Depending on the rural location, we may even consider some grillin....Fatty is pretty badarse on the bbq....even manages to make asparagus delicious....and as for his sausage...he never shuts up about it.

I'm gonna do my best to be there, i'm about 85% as of right now. I won't likely make the golf outing on Thursday, but I should be good for Friday and Saturday....plenty of airline miles saved up. I won't be bringing a PC, as anyone that knows me from FF can you, I don't play much there....I love the poker, pool, and just hanging out, I can play computer games at home :)

Looking forward to seeing old friends and new faces, and hopefully yours is one of them Fk.

Let me know if you need anything from me and i'll do what I can.

GC Board Member

Got a note in about the kitchen. Fatty took a quick picture, you can see a microwave but other stuff not so much. There is a ridiculous amount of opportunity here for food. Fatty can do a sausage night if he wanted to, can make a deal with a Thai place or others for onsite catering. Food runs galore. No restrictions. Honestly the only thing I'm thinking about now is cold drinks. Gonna need coolers and ice no matter what. Also need to make sure they have more than circular tables...

More pics:

bwh-5.jpg

bwh-4.jpg

bwh-3.jpg

bwh-8.jpg

GC Board Member
Same weekend? Or will we move it to the weekend that eventually won the poll?

Good question, technically those dates are available.

We would maybe, possibly lose Fatty. Has the girls that weekend.

Also, http://www.ipdb.org/...ne.cgi?gid=4505

If that machine was an Addams Family I would have probably put the deposit down without any discussion at all...

Now that we have this as an option, you should use it to leverage down the quoted price from the hotels. :-)

If needed, I'd be happy to drive people to the hotel when it gets late... especially if it's only 3 miles away. Hopefully we would be able to have a couple people each night to help with that.

That place looks amazing! My b/f doesn't drink and I know some of you will think it's silly but I really don't drink anymore either. So both of us I'm sure would be willing to drive some back to their hotels. I think there will be plenty of us who would be willing to help out on that end. We should definitely jump on this place. The pictures make it look like a dream place for a get together.

I know some of you will think it's silly but I really don't drink anymore either.

A bit shocking? Yes. :P Silly? Absolutely not. Good for you.

Well, we have a couple of volunteers already, this is great! With a couple more, we should have enough coverage to feel comfortable about people getting where they need to be....safely.

(edited)

We are going to be using round tables? That doesn't sound like the most efficient way for it to be setup. Are we going to have drunk people trying to not kick under the table or trip over towers that stick out from under the tables. Looks like a great place but round tables are not the way to go about things. Also what are we going to do about cable management across the floor? Personally I am more comfortable with going with what we know works.

Edited by MaRvIn

And there is thing called tape, and carpets, and cable runners.

Just making sure you are smarter than fatty :P

Glad to hear we aren't using round tables too. The pictures are obviously a lie. Just like the cake....