NHL is back!

Flitterkill

GC Board Member

I just read that today - 5000, 6000+. So much for losing the fans.

Honestly though, stuff needed to be fixed. Everyone knew 57% wasn't sustainable. Just a damn shame the owners had to be dicks going about fixing it.

Though it never gets enough mention, both this deal and the NFL deal. Everyone says/said the players got screwed. Well, yeah, if there are rollbacks, and so on. But no one talks about the minimum salary gains. Base salaries will have doubled by the time this deal plays out. NFL had the same thing in their deal. In pro leagues with player life spans averaging a couple of years? That's a good get (and for the NHL that pension thing played out well for them too.)

If we're talking about jerks, don't forget to include Donald Fehr with the NHLPA.

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/2012/12/12/donald-fehr-frustrating-nhl-lockout-continues/wfYP0WKS7c3TGa3bg1SrIK/story.html

HBR had an interesting write up on the lockout, too.

http://blogs.hbr.org/hbr/hbreditors/2013/01/what_the_nhl_lockout_reveals_a.html

We've got a great junior team in Portland that's a lot of fun to watch (especially while Seth Jones) is still here. They're young, scrappy, and have a lot of raw talent that's fun to watch -- but it still wasn't giving me my fill of NHL-level play.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Don't be so sure. Though I am a hardcore Leafs fan, i don't see them going deep into the playoffs this year. I do believe however that Pittsburgh has a good chance of winning this year considering they traded the farm for their team. But I have to give credit to Chicago, if anyone can beat Pittsburgh it's probably them.

Pittsburgh traded the farm for their team. If they don't win this year, they're going to be in for a world of hurt. Iginla wanted to win a cup, he deserves one. I don't blame him for leaving. Just like I don't blame Mats Sundin leaving the leafs to go try and win a cup.