Friday/Saturday/Sunday PUGs (Pick-Up Games)

Sess1on

Since the tournament didn't turn out as planned why don't we just offer up member-only pick-up games on Fridays, Saturdays and/or Sundays? When we played the first (and only) match I thought this would be a much better idea considering the amount of regulars on anyways. We can simply message people to find out whose available/interested in playing an 8v8 or 6v6 or whatever that night and find an admin interested in moderating/setting up the PUG. Once everyone joins up we can scramble until everyone is happy and there we go. No more having to work around people schedules or finding the best time for everyone. No, if you're on and want to play cool let's get a game going.

Essientially what we're doing is offering up a smoother, more fun, and more intense match by removing all the crap that happens on the public server - no griefing, no noobs, and not having to worry about members joining up half-way through and drastically affecting team balance. Basically we get rid of everything that can usually ruin an entire match on the public server.

We could even having weekly forum posts listing a specifc date and time in which members are interested in getting a game going and whoever is down/available should post in it. Maybe even have captains who make teams from those interested. Either way I'm hoping this can be a regular event as the Team A vs Team E match was incredibly fun and we have so many members now that this is very a very do-able thing. To get this started GC should create a members-only GC L4D2 specifically for members interseting in PUGs. That way we can easily send out notifactions to everyone in that group at one time that we're trying to get a game going.

Edited by Sess1on
  • Like 1

A thought I have, we can use that side server that we used the match for, that way the public server doesn't take a hit and people can still play.

Would everyone be okay using the same cvars as with the match settings? No sending points, have to be healed with kit if b/w, FF ON, no Boomer infections/Gift Spawns. I thought the setings made it a BLAST to play and much more focused on team play. As for teams I think a minimum of 6v6 would suffice for a pug though 8v8 would be best. If you wanted to do 4v4 then we could set that up independantly of GC admins unless you wanted the plugins.

Lastly, on the topic of creating teams, I think if we wanted to set up weekend PUGs maybe either have captians pick teams or people make a team that they like thats on and say let's go! Having random teams can be fun since we know each other but there are quite a few people that enjoy playing with particular people for whatever reason (ex. I like being on sessions/yuri's team because I like laughing when i play l4d2)

If it's a real pick-up game:

Step1: Fill server with as many people as are available

Step2: Get two captains to draft teams from those present

Step3: Play (and hope the server doesn't crash)

I actually like this idea better. The idea of captains who know who is good would be a better way to even teams than the scramble system...

I love the sound of this!

Also, just thought that something like this might be a good time to give custom maps a try as long as everyone interested is given a heads-up. No need to worry about waiting for people to download campaigns or dealing with a lack of pubbies who don't have the campaign being played.

Edited by Sashimi