Internet/Router Setup Issues

MaRvIn

I have been having with slow connection due to the amount of space between me and the router. I tried to put it in my room but for some reason when I hooked everything up. I was able to connect but there was no connection to the internet. When I put it back where it was everything was fine with it. Is there anything that could be causing the issue? The only difference between the wall jacks in my room and downstairs is the color (Orange and Blue). I was told that makes no difference though.

could be electromagnetic interference caused by florescent lights and stuff like that.

What does your setup look like? Did you put as second router in your room or move the main router up there? I have a 3 story cable up to my room and theres no difference to being right next to the router.

however, seeing as you have colored jacks I am guessing you are not the network admin and are installing a second router. A second router adds a lot of overhead because of dhcp and filtering. If there is already a router do not use a second one.

If you really want to check overhead check a traceroute

what i think Marvin meant to say is that he has a wireless router in one room upstairs and he moved it to another room downstairs, and it doesn't work, because difference of cable jacks (as he said), one is orange and the other is blue.

orange jack is for CAT5 cable and blue - CAT6 cable. They are not compatible due to different patching.

another idea is that whichever cable is downstairs is not Ethernet cable and just a network cable and doesn't connect to any router.

I just really wanna hear what FlitterKIll think about this problem. :)

Edited by walkingCat

Blue and white are common colors for ethernet jacks; orange is less common. As long as the cables are punched down the same on both ends, there should be no compatibility problems.

One possibility is that there is something wrong with the cable running to one of the jacks. It could have become distressed at some point and stopped working. It could be missing, or it could've been cut. Another is that it is not connected to anything.

Generally, your description of the problem does not make sense to me. Your router should be connecting over ethernet to a modem. All the jacks could be connected to a switch, with the modem also connected to that switch, but that would be unusual for a home setup. All the jacks could be connected to another router, with that router connected to a modem; that would be more likely but still unusual. The key here is that you need to know how each jack is connected to the network.

The orange jack could indicate that there is something different about it. It could be connected to fiber, it might not be punched down straight-through, or it might just be connected to another jack somewhere that is also orange.

Okay I am going to be clearer about my situation also add some pictures.

I am trying to move the router and modem from downstairs into my room so I can have easy access to it when I need and so I can be directly wired into it. The problem I am currently having with this is that when I brought everything into my room and hooked it up there was no internet available. I could connect to the router just fine but there was no connection to the internet. When I put it back downstairs and re-hooked it all up it worked properly and I continued to lag and receive only 2mb down from our 15mb down limit. I was informed that this issue was caused by the router being so far away. Now back to the issue at hand. The wall jacket in my room has a jack that is the color orange w2ismh.jpgand the one downstairs is blue29d7a6h.jpg. I was told that color does not matter. If there is a difference between the two or there is something wrong with it, is it easy enough to fix for an amateur to do it?

-Hopefully this a better explanation of the situation also here is a pic of router and modem

6zpukm.jpg

Take the router of the situation. When you plug just the modem in upstairs, do the lights for online and link ever go green, or do they blink yellow/orange? If they don't go green, that cable jack isn't connected.

1. Take off the plate in the room upstairs. Make sure there's actually a cable running into it.

2. You could find your main connection box (sometimes in the basement, sometimes on the outside of an exterior wall of the home) and make sure there aren't any cables disconnected. If everything is connected at the entry, then you need to get a tech out to drop some cables.

Good luck.

Our duplex had a mess of cable wiring. Many outlets, not all of them active. That outlet you plug into that gets you no internet? I'd bet you've got nothing there or in even weirder cases you can something but it's actually not on your account. That actually happened in our place. Basic cable avail but none of it was on our account - had to have a tech come out and make sense of the wires patched all to hell in the crawlspace.

Plug in a TV into that no-internet-getting coax outlet. If you get basic cable, good. If nothing there's your problem. If you do get basic cable, you can further test if you have digital cable by plugging the converter box in and seeing everything shakes out.

GL

I get cable from it just fine. I run it to a box and then out hdmi to my tv. Everything in the house is all wired. I checked the box in the basement and took off the plate everything seems to be connected from what I can see. So is the best option just to have a tech come out and look at it?

Edited by MaRvIn

When you plug just the modem in upstairs, do the lights for online and link ever go green, or do they blink yellow/orange? If they don't go green, that cable jack isn't connected.

Also, power and link go green the ones that don't are online, us and ds

Edited by MaRvIn

From my encounter the TV can be split multiple times and not notice a difference and if its a duplex you are getting your TV outlets from 1 main cord from outside of the duplex that splits into muliple outlets for TV use, then that box connects to outside to the poles. For internet you need a straight wire from the box posted outside.

In other words you need to call your ISP/Cable provider for a tech.

Before you go and get too excited

1. You're going to have to pay for the tech visit, or make a really persuasive argument on why the wiring in your house is their responsibility. Protip: getting impatient and frustrated with them won't make it a free trip. You'll have to pour on some charm. #socialengineeringftw
  2. Unless you've already plugged a machine in downstairs, or you have a smartphone on that wifi and can prove that the speeds are faster when you're closer to the router, don't get too excited that your speeds will go up.

On the plus side, if you in fact aren't able to get faster speeds when you're right at the router, you can use that as your reason for a free tech visit. If they do come out, ask them to test the jack upstairs, too.

Before you go and get too excited

1. You're going to have to pay for the tech visit, or make a really persuasive argument on why the wiring in your house is their responsibility. Protip: getting impatient and frustrated with them won't make it a free trip. You'll have to pour on some charm. #socialengineeringftw

2. Unless you've already plugged a machine in downstairs, or you have a smartphone on that wifi and can prove that the speeds are faster when you're closer to the router, don't get too excited that your speeds will go up.

On the plus side, if you in fact aren't able to get faster speeds when you're right at the router, you can use that as your reason for a free tech visit. If they do come out, ask them to test the jack upstairs, too.

Great idea, time to break out the laptop and do some "inspectigations" <-(inspecting and investigating at the same time)

Gonna have someone come out

Upstairs 3 tests- 1) 1.87mb 2) 5.43mb 3) 0.87mb

Downstairs Wireless 3 tests- 1)5.65mb 2)8.78mb 3)2.45mb

Downstairs Wired 3 test- 1)8.48mb 2)6.78mb 3)0.43mb

Should get at least 14mb down each time wired

Edited by MaRvIn

Reading recent replies and reviewing my own reply at the beginning, make me feel dumb and sad.

Anyway, I'll keep making myself dumber: I showed this post to my tech guy and he just laughed at me. Long story short: Looks like all cables are in big mess, meaning old gen cables and outlets were mixed with new ones which causes interference of an initial signal from ISP. It's hard to say without looking and touching. Call support and politely ask them to fix their screw ups.

Yeah, I have a lot of patience and I just want to be able to game without lag. I am calling them tomorrow, I tried online chat but they switched me to 4 different people then they just stop answering it wasn't very nice. Hopefully on site they do better.