Mercman abusing member votekick privilege

Locust

GC Server Admin

I checked and double-checked 'sm_who' in console and it stated that Francis was 'none', i.e. Not a Member, nor did it show your real identity. A few people were discussing who Francis was and some even suggested it was Dryfire and they wouldn't believe me when I told them that Francis was not a member at all. This continued for a few minutes until the 2nd map of Crash Course, where you were purposefully griefed by jumping into the fire and incapacitated yourself and stated that you could do anything you wanted as you bought 2 tanks the previous round.

I told your team that it would be OK to votekick you, but that I would veto it if the immunity message didn't appear (for some reason I thought you were a member); but anyhow, the vote was passed before the veto could come into effect.

My apologies.

Edited by MPG1770

Ok so none of this makes sense to me...Locust griefed, yet was named Francis. Mercman started a vote kick because you were griefing and also named as a survivor bot, yet you weren't supposed to be kicked why?

I'm even having trouble understanding Maestro's intentions. If he was griefing, why would you veto the vote kick Maestro?

While we're on this can we put a moritorium on players naming themselves after bots? It's rarely all that funny and really just ends up confusing people. Not saying we should make it a rule per se, but more of a "spit and die" situation where we all acknowledge that it's pretty annoying and don't do it.

• Like 1

I think we need a 'Troublesome Actions' section on the forums...where these posts and admin abuse, etc etc posts would rather belong lol its like reading joke of the day on certain forums i visit :)

On a side note, i doubt mercman abused the privilege, he is one of the few people who is quiet lenient and would rather rage himself then kick someone....not sure if the raging is a good thing or bad thing though

Edited by Avengers

First of all, shouldn't this be moved to the member section?

Second i agree on the not naming yourselves as bots guideline.

Third, and most important:

Since Maestro gave the ok, it seems no blaim can befall Mercman. I've played with him a lot and seen him get angry plenty (especially when people heal themselves :P), but never seen him abuse the votekick.

What i am wondering about, is the thing that started the whole situation, namely this:

2nd map of Crash Course, where you (Locust) were purposefully griefed by jumping into the fire and incapacitated yourself and stated that you could do anything you wanted as you bought 2 tanks the previous round.

Is this true? Cuz for me, that seems to be the important part and the part that needs explaining.

GC Board Member

He was griefing. Not only had he played part of the Parish as an Ellis character named Ellis, at the beginning of Crash Course, before the round started he kept standing in fire and getting incapped. Then started complaining that he was basically MVP (due to playing 2 awesome tanks in the last round) and that meant he shouldn't be kicked. Griefing is griefing and it was deserved.

Edited by looneypumpkin

Griefing is something that you can be banned for, you should have been happy it was just a votekick.

Naming yourself after a bot should be against the rules as well. I probably would have named changed someone named after a bot and then warned them until they changed it themselves or the 3 strikes added up.

I'm even having trouble understanding Maestro's intentions. If he was griefing, why would you veto the vote kick Maestro?

I don't know, but I think it's safe to assume at the time Maestro was telling players not to !votekick him, no griefing had taken place yet.

First of all, shouldn't this be moved to the member section?

As Locust is not a member himself, this thread was left in the L4D2 sub-forum.

Can't tell much from the server logs. There was some confusion as to this "Ellis/Francis" player's identity, MPG apparently told players that he would veto a votekick against this player, Francis says "zzzz", then dies shortly after that. Then, Francis gets !votekick-ed, which MPG tries to veto, but the kick goes through anyways. Not certain what to make of it, but it is possible that Locust did intentionally get himself killed. I know MPG doesn't like players using !votekick at all when he's on, so perhaps he wanted to issue a kick/ban himself for the griefing.

I know MPG doesn't like players using !votekick at all when he's on, so perhaps he wanted to issue a kick/ban himself for the griefing.

Well If I was on, I would have liked to vote him off ASAP before he kept ruining the game experience....and then let the admin worry about banning him AFTER the kick went though. I mean why can't we vote kick anyone if what they are doing is bannable?? It's not like admins can't ban outside of the game using sourcebans or a web ban.

• Like 1

I know MPG doesn't like players using !votekick at all when he's on, so perhaps he wanted to issue a kick/ban himself for the griefing.

Well If I was on, I would have liked to vote him off ASAP before he kept ruining the game experience....and then let the admin worry about banning him AFTER the kick went though. I mean why can't we vote kick anyone if what they are doing is bannable?? It's not like admins can't ban outside of the game using sourcebans or a web ban.

Gotten this question a lot, here's my problem:

Most of us play full-screen. This means we have to:

Open the chat window, find the name and steam id and copy it.

In my case open steam interface and use web browser (which doesn't always work, in which case i need to close the game)

Go to the sourcebans - open the admin panel

Fill in the ban report

Wait for it to load through.

Come back to the game.

by that time the round is often over.

If you don't votekick, we have to type one line of text in the console/chat window, and the guy's gone. Using sourcebans ingame is annoying because it totally breaks the game for us.

There's another reason though: sadly a lot of members votekick too fast, and more importantly, as soon as that window pops up everyone presses F1 like crazy. Case in point: couple of days ago a member tries to kick an afk but chooses the wrong name. Everyone starts pressing F1 like mad. I veto just to make sure. Turns out it was the wrong person.

I don't kick for members votekicking while there's an admin on, but i don't like it either. At least mention that you're going to votekick.

Using sourcebans ingame is annoying because it totally breaks the game for us.

Except waiting for that ban can break the game for everyone else playing too. I'm just saying why is there a votekick feature for members if it's always declared as being overused? I mean there's a bannable offense and we are all still having a discussion about why it shouldn't have been used? It may take a while for admins to take care of the issue and make life harder for them while they are playing the game if we votekick...but aren't the admins there for us, the rest of the players?

Dude, you should set your game to run in a window (even if its full sized) so that it's easier to launch your normal web browser of choice with out exiting your game.

Member's should never votekick a player when an admin is on. In this instance it sounds like Maestro told Merc to do kick to see if it was a member or not and by the time the veto went through, it was too late.

why is there a votekick feature for members if it's always declared as being overused?

This is why admin and and board member discussed removing this feature a few months ago. The only reason it is still there is for the times that a admin is not in game and someone needs to clearly be removed.

you guys cant just ban somebody from ingame admin menu? You shouild be able to do that without leaving the game.

We can, but not after they leave the game (or have been kicked)

Dude, you should set your game to run in a window (even if its full sized) so that it's easier to launch your normal web browser of choice with out exiting your game.

I did once, but it blocked the game. I removed it and haven't tried again since.

Then I boomed and pounced Mercman in to submission

The improbability of this statement undermines your entire post.

• Like 1