FFO Internets

Flitterkill

V__818C.jpg

FFO 2013 had a good day.

Black Wolf Hall has the main cable feed *inside* the building as opposed to on a pole outside.

Fatty and mini are there, well, now as I post this.

And that? That pic?

That's Fatty's cable modem. @ Black Wolf Hall. Saving us a ton of money. Providing the best internet FFO has ever had.

And the truth? If someone else real close by was coming to FFO and brought their modem we could double that.

• Like 1

DL could be better, UL should be a 5, but speed tests aren't exactly precise things and the cable throughout the building, pristine as it is, is also circa 1999 and standards for coax and cable modems are a lot different 13 years later.

We, barring anything redonkulously stupid/inane happening between now and July, are golden. And our FFO budget got a ton better, meaning your experience got a ton better (provided we get more than 50/60 showing up)

I'll have some wonderfully narrated videos from Fatty shortly that'll get posted - the fun continues...

IMHO, Upload speed is too low for FFO. 30-40 PC's will be sending and receiving at the same time. I don't know as much as you guys about this issue, but 15 DL and 10 UL is much better for Broadcasting and Receiving. <---I probably say something embarrassing and stupid.

People hoping to internet game are gonna have to accept some limitations. Old FFO attendees can testify to the crap they've had in the past - even at the Clarion hotel.

Cable can only do 5 up per line, no way around that. So if we can get two cable modems for the weekend then yes, we can get 10 up. As it is we've got 5, or whatever amount the coax there will give us.

Any improvement beyond another local bringing a modem is gonna cost us. A lot.

Also, it is a gaming LAN after all, not necessarily a gaming internet-WAN. Internet is mainly for the Steam chaos that tends to occur during these things. I should track down that FFO picture of someone's Steam update...

We need someones active *local* account to pull this particular dodge off. It's the account that's the thing, not the modem itself.

If we have to activate cable internet separately, than the local cable internet provider will stick it to us with a mandatory business (not consumer) account, one month minimum service, and mandatory truck rolls for install and uninstall. Lets just not mention how much that will cost. Poke the FFO staff forum if you would like details which don't need to spill over here.

We need someones active *local* account to pull this particular dodge off. It's the account that's the thing, not the modem itself.

If we have to activate cable internet separately, than the local cable internet provider will stick it to us with a mandatory business (not consumer) account, one month minimum service, and mandatory truck rolls for install and uninstall. Lets just not mention how much that will cost. Poke the FFO staff forum if you would like details which don't need to spill over here.

PM sent

Edited by akaM2
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

If i brought my DOCSIS 3 Modem my wife would kill me because she would have no internet.... then again maybe i can setup the wireless hotspot on my tablet for my wife to use and bring the modem. as long at the cable there is Time Warner Cable. I'm running 30Mbps down and 5Mbps up.

Edited by Renagade