CS:GO - Admins, members, and regulars - 5v5 matchmaking

san`

Hello CS:GO players,

I write to you with some concern. My main concern being the mostly empty CS:GO servers we have. Before I go too far I'll admit I'm guilty of choosing scrims over pubbing as well.

However, it's time for some change and I hope you will all pitch in to help. Let's start making an effort, say around the 7-8 pm Eastern hours to get the pub going. All it takes is a few members in there to get more regulars in. Last night it took me an empty map and a map of roughly 3v3 before the server started getting busy.

I'm not asking you to play through the whole map rotation. I'm not asking everybody to quit playing 5v5. What I'm asking is that instead of 3-4 groups of community members all playing different scrims, let's play a few maps in the pub. It won't take long, maybe a half hour, maybe 45 minutes. Worst case you miss out on one scrim. Please take this into consideration.

Now, time for my declaration. If you see me in the pub with less than 12 players, I will not accept an invite, nor will I apologize for ignoring it. I'm going to dedicate time to get the pub going.

Also, if there are any suggestions or (reasonable) changes that you'd like to see please speak your mind.

• Like 2

I've witnessed this the last few times I hopped into the server on a weeknight. No one was really on even though I had seen a lot of my friends playing CS:GO. Made me sad to see this and someone explained to me that they enjoyed scrimming so much more than pubbing now. It also explained why I kept getting invites for CS:GO, but they were not playing on our GC server. This has discouraged me from playing more than a few nights a week. But I will definitely hop on every now and then to help out(after I beat Bioshock Infinite of course) if others do the same. I really want our CS:GO server to make out alright, we all had some great fun on our CS Source server, let's keep the memories going on our CS:GO server.

I'm not going to be playing CS:GO until I build my next rig. My current comp just can't do it if the server is full. If there are only 10 people on then I play fine, but once it's starts filling up my fps drops and gameplay suffers. So, hopefully I'll be getting it together by the end of the summer.

S.

Steam just made it too easy to get a scrim going with friends. Remember the days of using IRC and Vent? Well they eliminated that with the new system, you can dead chat and invite friends for a scrim with the click of a button. And it randomly pairs you with random people looking to scrim if u lack a person or 2. How much easier can it get? Pubbing is loads of fun, and we need to keep it going, but when i only get 1-2 hours of gaming a night and someone invites me to scrim, I'll prolly do it.

Therefore, everyone needs to keep pubbing, so no one can invite me, so i HAVE to play in the pub server lol.

My question is, why? If so many people enjoy playing the 5vs5 scrimmages more than playing on the GC CSGO server why should they stop scrimmaging? Maybe big public servers are going the wayside and these smaller tighter 5vs5 matches are where things are headed? I see no reasons to try to keep the CSGO server populated when so many regulars would rather be scrimmaging. At what point do we have a CSGO server just for the sake of having a CSGO server?

I've had a lot of good times on the GC servers but when people would rather be scrimmaging and have to force themselves to stop to play on the GC server, what does that say?

I'm greedy! I want to pub and scrim! I always hit the pub for at least a little while everynight. Even if its just 15 mins before accepting invites. I usually change the pub to Dust2 upon entering when its dead or low to get things going. When we get going good I'll throw a map vote for 3 or 4 popular maps/ set the voted map up and then leave for scrims upon invites.

Edited by turnbullTeRRoR

My question is, why? If so many people enjoy playing the 5vs5 scrimmages more than playing on the GC CSGO server why should they stop scrimmaging? Maybe big public servers are going the wayside and these smaller tighter 5vs5 matches are where things are headed? I see no reasons to try to keep the CSGO server populated when so many regulars would rather be scrimmaging. At what point do we have a CSGO server just for the sake of having a CSGO server?

I've had a lot of good times on the GC servers but when people would rather be scrimmaging and have to force themselves to stop to play on the GC server, what does that say?

Without a server for people to play on, we don't have a community. These forums aren't keeping GC alive, the games are.

After all, we all play with mostly people we know from the pub. I doubt I'd know the majority of these people if it weren't for the forums and pub server. Hell, I probably wouldn't even play CS anymore if it weren't for the community.

• Like 1

Without a server for people to play on, we don't have a community. These forums aren't keeping GC alive, the games are.

After all, we all play with mostly people we know from the pub. I doubt I'd know the majority of these people if it weren't for the forums and pub server. Hell, I probably wouldn't even play CS anymore if it weren't for the community.

The games might keep GC alive, but there's more games out there than just CSGO. Left 4 Dead 2 has been huge and brought a resurgence of community members. I haven't played much CSGO and I've played zero Left 4 Dead 2, but I HAVE played Battlefield 3, a bunch of SimCity, and a whole mess of Mass Effect 3 with community members in the last few months.

I disagree that if we don't have a CSGO server we don't have a community. The community should center around the people, not a specific game. This is how we have people playing CSGO AND Left 4 Dead, Minecraft, Mass Effect, SimCity, Diablo, Starcraft, Battlefield, Killing Floor, Unreal Tournament, Day of Defeat, DayZ and all the other games people have played together over the years. I think the forums are a huge part of that. When I played Diablo 3 I played it for hours with Biggs and Sky who are primarily Left 4 Dead 2 players and I even played some with Flitterkill, I didn't even know Flitterkill had a computer! That's what I want from a community, friends to play games with.

If people lose interest in a server it's not a death sentence for the community but an opportunity for people to explore other games to play together. If people want to play 5vs5 instead of playing on the GC server I see no problem with that, playing 5vs5 with community members is even better. The amount of interest in a server should determine if it survives or not, not people saying, "I'm going to stop doing this thing I enjoy because I feel obligated to play on our CSGO server."

The games might keep GC alive, but there's more games out there than just CSGO. Left 4 Dead 2 has been huge and brought a resurgence of community members. I haven't played much CSGO and I've played zero Left 4 Dead 2, but I HAVE played Battlefield 3, a bunch of SimCity, and a whole mess of Mass Effect 3 with community members in the last few months.

I disagree that if we don't have a CSGO server we don't have a community. The community should center around the people, not a specific game. This is how we have people playing CSGO AND Left 4 Dead, Minecraft, Mass Effect, SimCity, Diablo, Starcraft, Battlefield, Killing Floor, Unreal Tournament, Day of Defeat, DayZ and all the other games people have played together over the years. I think the forums are a huge part of that. When I played Diablo 3 I played it for hours with Biggs and Sky who are primarily Left 4 Dead 2 players and I even played some with Flitterkill, I didn't even know Flitterkill had a computer! That's what I want from a community, friends to play games with.

If people lose interest in a server it's not a death sentence for the community but an opportunity for people to explore other games to play together. If people want to play 5vs5 instead of playing on the GC server I see no problem with that, playing 5vs5 with community members is even better. The amount of interest in a server should determine if it survives or not, not people saying, "I'm going to stop doing this thing I enjoy because I feel obligated to play on our CSGO server."

Where did I say it was just CSGO keeping the community alive? I said games. The community requires revenue, revenue is generated from two places: L4D2 and CSGO. Nobody is buying a reserve to play Minecraft or Killing Floor, and those are all the servers we have.

Also, I'm only asking for a little time, not asking people to give up 5v5. If anybody feels like I'm forcing you to play on the pub, please let me know. I simply stated my intentions and asked for a half hour, maybe 45 minutes of time from a few others.

And the interest in the server is generated from people being in the server, not an empty one. If you're searching for a Battlefield server, do you join an empty one? (Does it work like that?) Regardless, I believe you know what I'm getting at.

Lastly, I don't want anybody to feel obligated to play here. I'm not looking to guilt trip anybody. That's not the point of this post at all. What I meant when I said "I probably wouldn't play CS..." was that to me, me specifically, the community is more than the game.

The server is jam packed for 5+ hours every Friday and Saturday night, and probably Thursdays too. Saturday night customs are a must-attend event for people that know about the server. The cause of san's post is not that the server has been abandoned, but rather that our early/midweek activity has become marginal. There is still plenty of interest in CS:GO pubbing, and all it takes is a little effort to make it thrive.

Won't lie, I find myself playing CS:S a lot lately. I'm not really like CS:GO but i'll do my best to try and pub when i'm on day shift, for the community's sake.

I appreciate it, but I don't want you to feel like you have to. If you enjoy CSS more, than play it. If you just happen to be playing GO then stop by :)