Custom Maps

Nforce

won't happen. people have asked for custom maps in the past. they're too difficult to manage, since maps don't download in-game like with every other game on the planet.

the server would all but completely empty, and the workshop is horribly designed.

Once added to the server the game would automatically download to client on map change

When a player connects to a server playing a custom map, if the player does not have the map, they are disconnected immediately.

Too much work to get custom maps integrated.

GC Server Admin

NO CUSTOM MAPS

What every L4D2 player needs to do is petition Steam/Valve to stop with the cop-out of appeasing people with crappy custom mods etc and get off their lazy fat hinds a make some new campaigns.

I doubt this is going to happen - apathy seems to rule

I'd still love to see something like a custom campaign night, where members are informed in advance of the time and the maps to be played (only one or two per session). Only problem would be organizing it, and possibly agreeing on maps.

Nforce, left 4 dead does not support multiplayer maps, doesnt matter how much we want that capability.

As Biggs said

For every person who downloaded the map in advance, there would be 5 who don't have it trying to play.

Yes, you could link it into a message, or post the links on the forums....but chances are NEW people won't bother doing that and get on other servers. Members would but they aren't online all the time either.

Unless Valve, implements a system that automatically downloads maps for you while loading, its highly unlikely GC will support it on their official server.

Also, why don't you organize a night with members for playing custom campaigns only? I am sure the admins would consider using their test server so you all can play on those pre-downloaded maps.

It is highly unlikely that valve would implement a system to auto download.

The reason for this is unlike games like TF2 where you only have to download a single map, and sometimes custom audio, etc., in Left 4 Dead, quite often, there is a long list of custom models and audio, but most importantly, you have to download more than one map when you are not playing survival or scavenge. Many custom campaigns come close to hitting the 1gb marker, and many go over the mark. To download in game would mean tying up the server slots for hours. Downloading in-game is a lot slower than downloading externally, and there's nothing that can really be done about that. This makes it highly inconvenient and unrealistic to even allow in-game downloading with Left 4 Dead. It wasn't a bad design choice on Valve's part to not include in-game downloads for Left 4 Dead. It simply would not be a realistically good or smart idea.

I remember playing UT and thinking how convenient it was to go on a friend's server and d/l the map we were going to play, any game that does it this way is good, any game that doesn't is lazy. L4D is lazy... especially with the possibilities for custom maps/campaigns you would think it was a no brainer for them.

Clearly you didn't read my post. UT maps were maybe a few MB. A TF2 map isn't very large, either. A L4D Campaign is 100's of MB, Often > 1GB. There's no way to justifiably allow that kind of download in-game.

Downloading directly from a server through an external link will always be much, much, much faster than downloading in-game.

But clearly, only other programmers understand this.

<-Enter Crasx->

Clearly you didn't read my post. UT maps were maybe a few MB. A TF2 map isn't very large, either. A L4D Campaign is 100's of MB, Often > 1GB. There's no way to justifiably allow that kind of download in-game.

Downloading directly from a server through an external link will always be much, much, much faster than downloading in-game.

<-Enter Crasx->

I read it, just let the people download no matter if it takes a bit it's still convenient. Internets are in 2013. Buy a connection already. I'm on 75/75, but even then normal 15/5 people get is fine. Oh wait, someone has 3 down? Wait longer. If they play the server a lot then once it's done it's done.

GC Server Admin

Maybe should have custom map( 1 map) night on the test server. Give the link to the map that weare going to play.

8 pm friday est be there if you want to play <custom map name>

Id be there and for the ones that arnt there , their loss.

I read it, just let the people download no matter if it takes a bit it's still convenient. Internets are in 2013. Buy a connection already. I'm on 75/75, but even then normal 15/5 people get is fine. Oh wait, someone has 3 down? Wait longer. If they play the server a lot then once it's done it's done.

Then the server would be empty regardless if it is a custom campaign or not because people would be clogging up server slots downloading a 1 gig campaign.

The first custom campaign I would even consider putting up there would be Suicide Blitz 2, but I'd want to wait a while for people to actually get the memo before I even consider playing it on the server.